Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have searched and read many threads on this subject, but can't seem to find the exact info I'm looking for. Most are talking about removing the front resonator entirely. I am a pretty new Alfa guy here with a '85 veloce that has 70k miles on it. Pic for attention since I know you folks like pictures.

Loving the car so much. Grew up with story after story of my Dad's s2 he drove for years, excited to have one of my own to enjoy. The one thing that I've had trouble getting past is the raspy sound I get in that 3-4k RPM range under acceleration. My understanding is that the front resonator is designed to reduce/eliminate the rasp and leave you with a nice clean sound, so I am wondering if the resonators just deteriorate over time and mine may need replacing? Figured I would ask here before throwing money at it. The current resonator looks decent on the outside, no obvious rust or deterioration, but if there is some kind of packing in there then I'd assume time and mileage has taken its toll?

I'm not looking for performance gains or extra noise, just a nice clean throaty sound like it has currently under 3k RPMs, ideally extended throughout the RPM range if possible.

If I am on the right track, would also really appreciate any clues on exactly what part(s) I want to find and where, looks like Centerline has the whole front chunk listed, but out of stock:
Exh Front Spider 1982-89 | Centerline International

Based on my searching here though it looks like people also have other aftermarket alternatives welded in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Alfa mufflers I believe are glass packed and do loose their sound absorbing capacity over time. Note both the center and rear mufflers have the inlet and outlet lined up. When the front muffler is healthy, replacing the rear muffler with a "stinger" pipe does not make the car very noisy.

My Sprint rear muffler had perished to rust after 20 years of faithful services and I couldn't find a new one - b/o everywhere. I cobbled up a stinger with pipes and clamps from the auto parts store. Next morning, while driving to drop my daughter at school, she said "Dad, why is your car so noisy?" At full throttle it did sound like an airplane taking off. The 20 years old matching middle muffler was empty, I was running straight pipe.

What you're showing is the catalyst. While it does some of the job of reducing the noise, you should only worry about it if it is really shot or if it fails emissions.The middle one I'm talking about is a lot less expensive: 1985 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER 2.0L L4 Muffler | RockAuto

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ok wow glad I asked!! Would've been a classic idiot move to replace the $500 cat assembly and have the same exact sound haha. Thanks for the info.

Any input on that Ansa piece on RockAuto vs this one on Centerline?

I LOVED rockauto for my past cars (Audi/BMW) and had great success ordering part after part, but so far with the Alfa I have not had such great luck. Received a couple parts that did not fit and their customer service is... displeasing. So unless someone can vouch for that Ansa part specifically I'm happy to pay a premium over at Centerline.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Ansa is a well known Italian brand, it's the same or equivalent.

·
Registered
483 Posts
This may be a long shot but... is the raspy sound more of a metallic tinny sound? A while back, I had a tinny sound under acceleration at a certain rpm range on my 86 Spider. Turns out it wasn't the exhaust itself but the heat shield plate attached to the exhaust, between the manifold and the catalytic converter, as it bends under the car. A weld had come loose.

Before spending money on exhaust parts, you might want to track down the noise with a mechanics stethoscope. Harbor Freight has a cheap one for $5.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
A loose heat shield will get your attention but as Al mentions, it sounds like the "tinny" vibration it causes rather than a "raspy" sound.

Short of leaks or holes, I have not noticed unpleasant sounds from deteriorating mufflers in Alfa exhaust systems. Something loose inside the can could be a problem but otherwise they seem to get better (and a little louder) with age. Any idea of whether or not your catalytic converter is the original?

There is nothing special about the exhaust on a Spider behind the front section. Depending on personal preference, a reputable muffler shop should be able to meet any requirements at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that input! I took a couple passes underneath inspecting and knocking on things and couldn't find any loose bits.

After some time in the rabbit hole reading the countless other threads on here I decided to order a new center muffler and stinger from Centerline. Hoping that the new center muffler makes for a clean and quiet exhaust note and the stinger just lets it open up a bit without getting too loud. Nervous it will be too loud for my daily driver usage... but had to see for myself after seeing how mixed the reviews are out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts