Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are brand new, never used. Very neat period accessory reproduction. Adjustable for angle. Fit many low back seats. $350

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm sorry for saying this but.....(and I'm not picking on you unless you are the one that "invented" them) ......these have got to be the most ridicules "safety" option for a car I have ever seen. A few of the guys here picked on me for thinking that my adding a 3 point seat belt system to my 74 spider was going to kill me. I'm eager to hear what those guys have to say about this one..

On the other hand, they might be just the thing to add to a couple short backed reclining executive office chairs. (Executives need to lean back and put their feet up on the desk once in a while.)

BTW: All this is coming from a guy that spent a lot of years in the "product safety" line of work..

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,360 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe they were originally introduced as a comfort accessory, though I would guess having anything there to slow down your neck snap would be better than nothing...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Auto manufacturers spend a lot on time and money making sure as few people as possible will get injured using their cars. (with the exception the Pinto of course) There is a lot of strong structure that is added to the rear of the seat (actually the whole seat was redesigned) when they intended to add a head rest.

Looking at the design of these it looks like there would be a real possibility of the two legs, that are located right behind your back, would angle forward (at the base) as your head was thrown back in a rear end collision.
The force of these two, what I would think are two metal bars or some such, would probably make two holes in you back and probably make two large holes in your lungs. In this scenario you would not be getting your next, and last, ride with the siren playing and lights flashing. No need for them to rush....😢

I remember seeing those coin operated machines in the men's room at truck stops. There was a sign on the machine that said:

"Just for show not for go" The same words should be on these also..;)

And no, they will not prevent you from getting whiplash.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, never claimed they were safety items, but I bet they would bend, rather than poke through you. Rather not find out either way...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The only up side for installing a head rest would be to help survive getting hit in the rear. I don't think there is/was any thought that adding a head rest just because it looks good.

So best case they would bend and not poke your back?
That means that there would be no support for your neck and head in a crash. Which means lots of whip lash. Well actually only one if you are driving by yourself. Two if you have someone in the right seat.
(Non-UK version)

So you decided not to use them??..

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No they have metal bars that clamp onto the seat back.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Shouldn't there be some safety documentation from the manufacturer if they would indeed work? Some crash test data? If they are for safety, it does not see like they could claim that without some data. There must be some rules to outline that kind of stuff in our safety conscious society these day. Who makes it and do they have a website to confirm?

What does it look like on a real seat too? Does it just look like something draped on a seat? Are there any installed pictures?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
iachella : Your assuming that the whole world plays by the same rules as the good old US of A. Not true.
I've been trying to use "google Images" to find the maker but no luck so far...
Maybe the OP could lead the way... Looks like he paid
big bucks to get one...(Wait a minute, it look like itwas two)...:geek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts