Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bill Noon/Symbolic motors just sold a SZ in excellent condition (S/N 10126-00118) for just under $250,000! It wasn't long ago that thse were $75,000-$100,000 cars...

·
Registered
335 Posts
I heard of another SZ selling for over $300,00 last year. Check out the rust in the lower sections! I guess 1/4 million doesn't buy as much today as it used to in a classic car. I like the SZ and have done some paint work on one of them, but I heard they usually have a lot of issues with rust & aluminum corrosion. Zagato built these and the Double bubble Abarth's as disposable race cars back then.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard of another SZ selling for over $300,00 last year. Check out the rust in the lower sections! I guess 1/4 million doesn't buy as much today as it used to in a classic car. I like the SZ and have done some paint work on one of them, but I heard they usually have a lot of issues with rust & aluminum corrosion. Zagato built these and the Double bubble Abarth's as disposable race cars back then.
I have now heard of a private sale of an SZ bringing something like $275,000!

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
It's nice that they're so valuable, but it's certainly removed all of them from the vintage race scene here in the States (except for possibly the Monterey Historics). I haven't seen one on the track for over ten years -- and I've seen plenty of other more valuable cars. What a shame.
Jim

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I guess as long as these financial trends continue and more wealth is created in these countries than in the USA, we'll see more record prices.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jim,

You should come over here to the UK!! Nick Savage and I regularly race our SZs both individually, and co-driving each other's! In fact, I'm racing mine at Spa in a couple of weeks....having said that, I'm starting to be somewhat more self-conscious of crashing it (or as happened at silverstone this year, someone driving into me). And every time i tell my wife about the value of SZs (I bought mine 5 years ago), she reminds me she needs a new kitchen!

At the end of the day, though, they were built for racing, and most of us here in the UK (PAul Gregory and Carol Spagg included) couldn't bear the idea of just shutting them away in an air-conditioned 'tomb'!

FYI, this was my SZ at the Silverstone classic a few weeks ago.

And if anyone's interested in the driver's eye view of an SZ on a street circuit, this was a video I posted of my Pau historic GP race in 2006..

http://homepage.mac.com/jameswiseman/iMovieTheater9.html

Regards,

James

It's nice that they're so valuable, but it's certainly removed all of them from the vintage race scene here in the States (except for possibly the Monterey Historics). I haven't seen one on the track for over ten years -- and I've seen plenty of other more valuable cars. What a shame.
Jim

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jim,

You should come over here to the UK!! Nick Savage and I regularly race our SZs both individually, and co-driving each other's! In fact, I'm racing mine at Spa in a couple of weeks....having said that, I'm starting to be somewhat more self-conscious of crashing it (or as happened at silverstone this year, someone driving into me). And every time i tell my wife about the value of SZs (I bought mine 5 years ago), she reminds me she needs a new kitchen!

At the end of the day, though, they were built for racing, and most of us here in the UK (PAul Gregory and Carol Spagg included) couldn't bear the idea of just shutting them away in an air-conditioned 'tomb'!

FYI, this was my SZ at the Silverstone classic a few weeks ago.

And if anyone's interested in the driver's eye view of an SZ on a street circuit, this was a video I posted of my Pau historic GP race in 2006..

http://homepage.mac.com/jameswiseman/iMovieTheater9.html

Regards,

James
James, thanks for continuing to race your SZ --much better than a new kitchen, I think-- and thanks for posting the link to your Pau video. You look very smooth and quick on the course, unlike a few of the others.

More like this, please.

Regards

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
I've seen a few SZs race in CSRG (California Sports Racing Group) here in northern California; we'll see if they're still there in the October event.

If SZs are selling for that much; how much would TZs be running nowadays?

Great driving, James! WHY DID THAT SWB(?) KEEP SPINNING OUT?! As if he just felt like pulling on his handbrake for no reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts