Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup. My engine blown with a whole 20 miles on a freshly rebuilt transmission. Apparantly the factory shut off as far as RPMs is too high, because my throttle got stuck wide open, which wasn't noticeable till I went to shift and hit the rev limit. The engine makes a god awful noise now when letting in the clutch or shifting or even reving over 3000K. So after kicking a dent into the fender, throwing a can of pop at the hood and punching a brick wall (broken hand?), I must say I'm done with this crap! If there was a car God, I'd be cursing him to death right now. Why the hell did this have to happen when I finally just got the **** thing moving Friday night?? It is not as though I abused it (minus the fresh dent in the upper fender and pop spatter all over the hood from just 5 minutes ago). Why, why now? New job, creditors calling, flat broke and now this-this crap all over again............................

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I wasn't kidding about the hand...ring finger...Donations are opened and very welcomed to the "save my daily driver before I lose my new job" fund.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
That SUCKS! I'm so sorry to hear that. I so hope it is something simple.

Hang in there, it will work out.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That SUCKS! I'm so sorry to hear that. I so hope it is something simple.

Hang in there, it will work out.
It won't even start now, just bangs around while cranking. Suicide is too easy, but this stuff is getting too hard, this is just not right. If not for bad luck, I'd have none.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It won't even start now, just bangs around while cranking. Suicide is too easy, but this stuff is getting too hard, this is just not right. If not for bad luck, I'd have none.

I understand your thoughts on suicide. I had my 1st Alfa, a '64 Spider Veloce, for 2 weeks when it spun #2 & #4 main bearings. I was broke and had a job that paid $1.50 an hour. And my dad was in the I told you so mode, he's an MG man. Boy was I depressed. It eventually worked out without too much humiliation. Hang in there buddy.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Reminds me of a legendary aircraft maintenance write-up . . . .

Pilot's writeup: Autopilot autoland function lands airplane hard.

Maintenance's writeup answer: Autoland function not installed on this aircraft.

I personally never trust "limiters" either on automobiles or airplanes. The price of limiter failures is too high.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reminds me of a legendary aircraft maintenance write-up . . . .

Pilot's writeup: Autopilot autoland function lands airplane hard.

Maintenance's writeup answer: Autoland function not installed on this aircraft.

I personally never trust "limiters" either on automobiles or airplanes. The price of limiter failures is too high.
LOL, I am the maintenance man! I know this, very well. It was not me depending on an autmation type of correction, but rather, the timing to realize my engine was over revving before I could turn the key off, see attached picture I taken of my garage after my step brother dropped off a car that "needed brake work"-he didn't have any brakes as I realized when I tried to use them, not as is if he just had grinding or something, he had a broken/leaking wheel cylinder...no luck here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
....and my bent valves.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:(Sometimes I hate working on cars too:eek:.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Reminds me of some advice from a wise friend. He said that when things go bad and frustration starts to rear it's ugly head, put down the tools or whatever we're doing and walk away. Don't return until we are calm and ready to be rational again. It was good advice that helped me several times.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'd be curious to know what caused the throttle to stick. Any clue?
Yup, the PO hosed together a pvc y adapter with reducers because he didn't want to pay or have time to wait for the correct type of hose (from/to radiator jar-water pump-thermostat) to come in, yes, my car is a S3.5, somethings are bosch motronic, other stuff, not so...The throttle underneath the manifold, got stuck on one of the hose clamps from the hose. Sure bet I'm getting the right hose for the car now, that is if I don't decide to part the thing out. The engine may not be blown, it very well could be the piston hit a valve, I may only need to replace the cylinder head and if a lot of damage was done to the piston, those as well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Your mechanical problems are way out of my league but good luck ddouglas. Everyone has tough times, just don't let them get you down. Maybe some of the Alfa guys in your area can help you at least get the car sorted out? Have a garage party and get this thing fixed while putting a positive spin on things. :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Douglas:

That is a real shame. I had a similar situation happen on an motor that I had just rebuilt. Got about 25 miles and spun a bearing. I wanted to cry - it really felt like I was kicked in the gut. But as they say: Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

It might not be as bad as you think. I am no expert but I would think that you bent a valve. Don't try turning it over - you will just cause more damage.

Like Bill said, walk away for a bit and then make a plan. Save your knuckles and your pennies. In the end you will have a rebuilt engine to brag about and a great story to tell...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts