Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,681 Posts
In this period, Alfa did not sell many cars in the US. Like a few thousand a year. So out of the half million Giulia sedans made, we got very few of them. So I can't imagine the US market was that important to the product managers, etc.
Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
For example, I have heard that for 105 cars, (some, most, idk) leather interior was a "special order" option for any car. I have also heard of things like the four headlight "Super" grille as being an option on some Giulia TI's. If there is any validity to either of those, then I would imagine non-typical paint colors would be pretty attainable.
All 1600 TI's/Supers's from 62 on had four headlamps, even Nuovas. All 1300's up to the MY72 S3 Unificatas had single headlamps but 4 after that changeover ("unified" the 1300's and 1600's). Since original, many cars have grills modified in some way by PO's. Only the MY 65-67 Supers had the "split heart". Cheers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
"Project Glacier is finally getting off the ground (and literally)"

or,

- "Maybe the only good thing about COVID19"

It has been 10+ months since I have posted anything here, so in case anyone thought maybe this was an abandoned project… -well no. But, this time gone by, and my progress to show for it, has clearly contributed to my name for this project.
As far as the title… -well with the crazy times we are all experiencing right now, in many places we are all spending much more time at home than we might otherwise. For me personally that still means working from home Monday - Friday for what would usually be my normal office hours. However, between my lack of commute, and social distancing observance, the result has actually been a little freed-up time for at least relatively brief blasts down to the garage, and yes, actually spend some time on the Giulia Super.

So... thank you COVID19?

-truly crazy times for sure.

Until recently, I have typically only had enough spare time to occasionally go down to the garage, and go over the car, and boxes of parts, to inventory what I have, what I still need, and take pictures of everything. Of course on some occasions I’ve only had enough time to stand briefly with my coffee in front of the car, and simply imagine someday actually driving it.

With my new-found garage time, I have finally been able to complete the build of my chassis cradle, and mount the car on it.
PssngFootwellToBrMtl.jpeg DrvrsSdeIntrrFloorTeardwn.jpeg DrvrsFootwellTearDown.jpeg PrtsOnTrnk_Grille.jpg PrtsOnRoof_Interior.jpg DrvrsSideCarOnCradle.jpeg

Now with the car up in the air on the cradle, I have finally been able to start the fun stuff. Last weekend, my 9 yr. old son and I started tearing out the carpeting, vinyl, and padding/insulation. We then began the fun of scraping out the original sound-deadening material to get a look at the metal in the floors. I was as pleased to see how happy my son was to hammer and chisel that sticky black stuff, as I was to get down to bare metal in the passenger floor well, and find no rusted- through holes! In fact, really only a little surface rust here, and I’m pretty sure it’s the original carpet and sound-deadening. I have honestly never owned an Alfa that didn’t need the floors patched up to prevent water from getting in! -Could this 1966 sedan be the first one that doesn’t?

We will of course see. I will be continuing the journey to bare-metal on the floors, as part of the interior tear-down, and then I will be taking a look from under the chassis. Wish me luck,
-or at least no rust!

Here is a pic of the passenger footwell getting down to bare metal:

Beginning driver's side:

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I wasn't sure if I wanted to start this post, as I haven't really torn into this project seriously yet. However, I have been inventorying parts, inspecting everything, and making my to-do lists, (which is actually a part of all this that I really like) and I figured maybe writing about it a little might provide the motivation to make time to get going on it, so here goes...

The basics:
The car is a 1966 USA Giulia Super. I bought it in October of last year, (2018) and it included a letter from Marco Fazio from the Automobilismo Storico indicating it was manufactured in March of 1966, and was originally a musk green body with skai interiors. Originally sold in Newark, NJ, but I have Northern California registration docs for it going back to the 70’s, so it seems to have spent much of its life there.
Currently, the body is a metallic dark grey color, although I’m not sure if it’s a factory color. The interior is a mash-up of parts of various colors and materials, and while correct, are maybe not the parts it came from the factory with. That said, it’s pretty complete, and has most of its harder to find parts and trim still with it, except for the original 1600 running gear, (it has been converted to a 2 liter, with a hydraulic clutch, and later Ate brakes). It appears so far to have no major rust, or evidence of major accidents in its past.
I have been taking tons of pictures as part of planning what the needs are. I will try and post some soon.

I have been without an Alfa since I sold my restored ’71 GTV about three years ago, and with steady rise in prices for 105 cars I was beginning to get worried I might never again! However, I lucked into this one, and I have always wanted a Giulia Super so I am really excited. Normally, I prefer the hanging pedal cars. However, in this case I specifically preferred a first series Super, so I am extra happy to have found this particular car!

My initial plans are to clean-up the bodywork and underside, and have it painted. After that it will probably evolve a little on its own depending on what needs repair vs. replacement, degree of difficulty/expense, and my time. The car currently has a later model year 2 liter with Webers, but I don’t know if it will run, or its overall state. The previous owner said it would turn over, but they never started it. I also have a complete 75 Twin Spark engine awaiting future plans :wink2:.

Short term, I do have some parts I am missing that I still need to collect. The car is missing glass for both rear doors. I also need the correct alfa romeo trunk script (in all lower case as I typed it!). I haven’t been able to find any of the regular parts sources that have the trunk script, so if anyone knows of a source, or IS a source, I would love to hear from you, (esp. if you are local to the L.A. area!). Additionally, if anyone has the rear door glass, let me know as well. In the meantime, I will post as wanted in the classified section.

Well that’s it for now. Of course, (as I am sure most of you know) I will have more as I get into it.

I can’t wait to get going seriously on this, and trying hard not to think about driving it yet!

Tee
In 1966 Alfa Romeo Inc. (ARI) was the wholely owned subsidiary of Alfa Romeo and located in Newark NJ. Letters from Marco Fazio about cars imported in that era state something like "sold to Newark NJ or first sold Newark NJ" So your letter likely means it was sold to ARI Newark, maybe landed there and then maybe transported to a west coast dealer. Or maybe landed in California. Alfa Romeo Inc. NJ had a sister (sub??) office in California, Inglewood if memory serves.

ARI closed down sometime in the 1980s and Ardona opened in Florida.

Stay well

Ken

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Looks like your original color is Verde Muschio, Moss green. Quite a handsome color!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In 1966 Alfa Romeo Inc. (ARI) was the wholely owned subsidiary of Alfa Romeo and located in Newark NJ. Letters from Marco Fazio about cars imported in that era state something like "sold to Newark NJ or first sold Newark NJ" So your letter likely means it was sold to ARI Newark, maybe landed there and then maybe transported to a west coast dealer. Or maybe landed in California. Alfa Romeo Inc. NJ had a sister (sub??) office in California, Inglewood if memory serves.

ARI closed down sometime in the 1980s and Ardona opened in Florida.

Stay well

Ken
Thanks Ken, that makes sense. I had heard that from a few others as well since I wrote that post.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looks like your original color is Verde Muschio, Moss green. Quite a handsome color! View attachment 1619925
Yes, I have the letter from Marco Fazio stating it was originally Moss/Musk Green with Skai interiors, and moss green is what I have found in trunk and under carpets in the interior. And... judging by yours in particular, you are correct. It's a very handsome color!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wow, that's pretty cool, and It's surely stunning!
However, mine is hardly factory (2 liter conversion, hydraulic clutch with 1750 pedal box) and I am not inclined to convert it back. Therefore, factory original paint would not be that big of a deal, or value-add. I am probably going to leave it the current metallic grey if I can, or if I need to re-paint completely, possibly the factory non-metallic medium gray color, both of which I am really fond of.
I really like yours too though. I see the California plate. Not sure if you are Northern or Southern, but maybe I will see it around!

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Best of luck on yours!! I like the gray on it. Fresh paint with your mods will make for a very enjoyable ride!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Some more progress this past weekend at removing the factory sound-deadening, and getting a look at the floors underneath. I have most of it up on the passenger side. No appreciable rust so far, so knock-wood for the driver-side! Only the front-seat foot-well had some surface rust, that I was able to take the wire-wheel to.
Here are some pics attached.
I'm not sure if the light-green color is some kind of primer or what. My 71 GTV didn't have this under the sound-deadening. It had what looked more like a traditional grey primer. I know these cars had very little in the way of rust-proofing, but I'm not sure what if anything they did for paint-prep of the chassis. Is it zinc-chromate paint maybe, or maybe just overspray of the dark green? -anyone know?
In any event... project glacier moves on. As soon as I can, on to the driver's side.
PsngrBckStFlr_BreMtl_Final.jpeg
PsngrBckStShlf_BrMtl_Final.jpeg
PsngrFloor_BrMtl_Final.jpeg
PsngrFootwell_BreMtl_Final.jpeg

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That primer looks about the same colour as on my 67 GTV.
Have a look on the underside of your transmission tunnel, and I expect you will see the same colour there, as the whole of the body didn’t get top-coated in those days.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Floors look to be in amazing condition! That sound deadening comes up really fast with the dry ice pellet method. Did my whole floor in 20 minutes. Polishing the grille and other parts is verysatifying. Kids did mine. It was a while ago as the eldest is only 12 months off driving now...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Looks like your original color was green.....They look great in green!!
Yes, originally musk green with tan interior. I agree that its a great color for these cars. The sedans look better to my eye in darker colors... -but that's just me!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Floors look to be in amazing condition! That sound deadening comes up really fast with the dry ice pellet method. Did my whole floor in 20 minutes. Polishing the grille and other parts is verysatifying. Kids did mine. It was a while ago as the eldest is only 12 months off driving now...
View attachment 1623676 View attachment 1623677 View attachment 1623678 View attachment 1623679
Yes, I hope the luck continues onto the driver's side floors!
I have heard of the dry ice method, but not used it myself. Unfortunately, with the current state of things, I'm not sure I could even get a bunch of dry ice! I have just been using a three inch putty knife with a mallet, and going all caveman on it. It's a bit of a sweaty job, but I think the majority of it comes off pretty easily, really. It's not too bad, but maybe I will see if I can get some dry ice for the driver's side to compare.
That is so cool that your kids helped you, and great pics of their polishing! I agree that cleaning up the old parts is almost cathartic! I feel so great when I can work and clean an old part that many people would consider junk to replace, and then suddenly you look at it, and it looks all new again! When my kids show interest in helping out... even better! My 9 yr old son has intermittently come out to the garage to help, and I am continually amazed at his enthusiasm! I can't get him to clean his room, but he's happy to lean into an old Alfa scraping sticky bitumen off the floor!
-actually, when I say it like that, it kinda makes perfect sense!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
As I continue with working on disassembly of the interior, and organizing the parts for when I need to put it all back together, it appears I am missing the center seat rail for the front seats that mounts on the transmission tunnel. I just missed out on the one that justcallmefred just sold. I thought I would reach out to see if anyone has one of these they would consider parting with. If anyone has this part, (and possibly the "rare" cover piece) please message me to let me know. Thanks in advance! Tee

21 - 39 of 39 Posts