Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure if I wanted to start this post, as I haven't really torn into this project seriously yet. However, I have been inventorying parts, inspecting everything, and making my to-do lists, (which is actually a part of all this that I really like) and I figured maybe writing about it a little might provide the motivation to make time to get going on it, so here goes...

The basics:
The car is a 1966 USA Giulia Super. I bought it in October of last year, (2018) and it included a letter from Marco Fazio from the Automobilismo Storico indicating it was manufactured in March of 1966, and was originally a musk green body with skai interiors. Originally sold in Newark, NJ, but I have Northern California registration docs for it going back to the 70’s, so it seems to have spent much of its life there.
Currently, the body is a metallic dark grey color, although I’m not sure if it’s a factory color. The interior is a mash-up of parts of various colors and materials, and while correct, are maybe not the parts it came from the factory with. That said, it’s pretty complete, and has most of its harder to find parts and trim still with it, except for the original 1600 running gear, (it has been converted to a 2 liter, with a hydraulic clutch, and later Ate brakes). It appears so far to have no major rust, or evidence of major accidents in its past.
I have been taking tons of pictures as part of planning what the needs are. I will try and post some soon.

I have been without an Alfa since I sold my restored ’71 GTV about three years ago, and with steady rise in prices for 105 cars I was beginning to get worried I might never again! However, I lucked into this one, and I have always wanted a Giulia Super so I am really excited. Normally, I prefer the hanging pedal cars. However, in this case I specifically preferred a first series Super, so I am extra happy to have found this particular car!

My initial plans are to clean-up the bodywork and underside, and have it painted. After that it will probably evolve a little on its own depending on what needs repair vs. replacement, degree of difficulty/expense, and my time. The car currently has a later model year 2 liter with Webers, but I don’t know if it will run, or its overall state. The previous owner said it would turn over, but they never started it. I also have a complete 75 Twin Spark engine awaiting future plans :wink2:.

Short term, I do have some parts I am missing that I still need to collect. The car is missing glass for both rear doors. I also need the correct alfa romeo trunk script (in all lower case as I typed it!). I haven’t been able to find any of the regular parts sources that have the trunk script, so if anyone knows of a source, or IS a source, I would love to hear from you, (esp. if you are local to the L.A. area!). Additionally, if anyone has the rear door glass, let me know as well. In the meantime, I will post as wanted in the classified section.

Well that’s it for now. Of course, (as I am sure most of you know) I will have more as I get into it.

I can’t wait to get going seriously on this, and trying hard not to think about driving it yet!

Tee

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
I will get some pictures posted as soon as I can.

I am of the humble opinion that there are enough Verde Muschio sedans out there, sort of like red coupes! For now, I am planning to stay with the metallic grey color it is, or if there was a very similar factory color, maybe change to that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some pics of the little beast

Here are some pics of the car finally...

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andrew,
That would be great if you do, thanks for your consideration!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I really like the grey. I'm not sure if its a factory color. It looks a bit like the metallic medium grey, but I haven't compared it to a paint chip card or anything, and grey can be deceiving, depending on the light! I'm struggling with my plans regarding whether to get the car running with the 2L, or jump right to the TS. Leaning toward the 2L, because of course, I want to be able to drive it sooner! Building a hot TS will be expensive and well as take more time!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont think so

if you don't build the TS, would you consider selling it?
In my previous post, I only meant which direction I would go first; restore the car while getting the 2L running, (in order to be able to drive the car sooner) and then rebuild the TS and install later.
- OR rebuild the TS instead of getting the 2L running, and install it into the restored car. Either way, I ultimately plan to put the TS in the car.
-Sorry.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Nice find, i like the metallic colour but not period correct for a Bollino D'oro which could hurt the value of the car (if that's an issue for you), have you seen this fairly recent Alfaholics built example? Not sure on the paint code but that with a red interior would be about nirvana for me, and i own a Verde Muschio example. Giulia sedans are a lot rarer over here though, might only see one or two advertised a year, i only know of 2 other Verde examples in the country, mine used to be white but a PO had it resprayed in the 90's.

Looking forward to updates!

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agree!

Nice find, i like the metallic colour but not period correct for a Bollino D'oro which could hurt the value of the car (if that's an issue for you), have you seen this fairly recent Alfaholics built example? Not sure on the paint code but that with a red interior would be about nirvana for me, and i own a Verde Muschio example. Giulia sedans are a lot rarer over here though, might only see one or two advertised a year, i only know of 2 other Verde examples in the country, mine used to be white but a PO had it resprayed in the 90's.

Looking forward to updates!
You are probably correct about the color. I cant seem to find conclusive information on whether the metallic colors were available on the 65-67 Supers. I know that the "medium grey metallic" is listed as an available color for 66-67 in some literature, but not sure if it was available for the Super. Additionally, I am not even sure if that is the actual color on my car. It looks similar in photos, but I would have to compare to a confirmed real car, and/or a paint chip. In any event, I like the color, and although my car needs a re-spray, the previous paint job appears to have been pretty good, so I will likely stay with it.
YES! I have seen the pics of that car from Alfaholics, and that's pretty much the look and approach I am going for, and I plan to do a red interior as well, which I think works so well with any grey color!
Is your car all original, or do you have it "personalized"? -pic?

·
Premium Member
21,213 Posts
And in the US market, I think we got way less than the full palette of colors. Of course, cars get brought over now from Europe, etc.
The late John Hertzmann was very up on this stuff. I have a 1971 paint chart, but not 1967.
Andrew

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point

And in the US market, I think we got way less than the full palette of colors. Of course, cars get brought over now from Europe, etc.
The late John Hertzmann was very up on this stuff. I have a 1971 paint chart, but not 1967.
Andrew
I think you are right. I think especially if we are talking about the cars sold here from "dealer stock". I often wonder what exactly was the "typical" way that a new Alfa was bought in the U.S. back in the 60's. Nearly every person that I have ever spoken to that bought an Alfa new back in the 50's through the 60's, bought it "off the lot" from some little specialty dealer. I wonder if you could even go to a dealer in the U.S. and order a car to your specs at all.
That said, if you could order one, I would imagine that there were probably all sorts of possibilities for the right price. For example, I have heard that for 105 cars, (some, most, idk) leather interior was a "special order" option for any car. I have also heard of things like the four headlight "Super" grille as being an option on some Giulia TI's. If there is any validity to either of those, then I would imagine non-typical paint colors would be pretty attainable.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
...Is your car all original, or do you have it "personalized"? -pic?
Fairly original, it still has the 1600 but with dell'orto 40's, GTA ram pipes and electronic ignition, plus a few suspension upgrades. I just posted some fresh photos here... https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sedan-1962-1977/672484-just-bought-67-giulia-super-light-recommissioning-commences-3.html#post8412952

I'd love to do a TS conversion but i think i'll just enjoy it for what it is at the moment.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Belissimo!

Fairly original, it still has the 1600 but with dell'orto 40's, GTA ram pipes and electronic ignition, plus a few suspension upgrades. I just posted some fresh photos here... https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sedan-1962-1977/672484-just-bought-67-giulia-super-light-recommissioning-commences-3.html#post8412952

I'd love to do a TS conversion but i think i'll just enjoy it for what it is at the moment.
Ahh okay, I've seen your thread before. Your car looks great! I love the look without bumpers. I can't decide if I want to do mine with or without, both have their attractions for me. We will see!
Enjoy your beauty!

·
Out of the office!
11,295 Posts
Andrew
I think you are right. I think especially if we are talking about the cars sold here from "dealer stock". I often wonder what exactly was the "typical" way that a new Alfa was bought in the U.S. back in the 60's. Nearly every person that I have ever spoken to that bought an Alfa new back in the 50's through the 60's, bought it "off the lot" from some little specialty dealer. I wonder if you could even go to a dealer in the U.S. and order a car to your specs at all.
That said, if you could order one, I would imagine that there were probably all sorts of possibilities for the right price. For example, I have heard that for 105 cars, (some, most, idk) leather interior was a "special order" option for any car. I have also heard of things like the four headlight "Super" grille as being an option on some Giulia TI's. If there is any validity to either of those, then I would imagine non-typical paint colors would be pretty attainable.

The US importer, ARI, would have ordered cars from Alfa Romeo. ARI would pick the colors that they felt would sell. I think this was common practice among all of the marques. And you're right, most people bought off the lot. Few folks ordered their cars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originality and Values

The US importer, ARI, would have ordered cars from Alfa Romeo. ARI would pick the colors that they felt would sell. I think this was common practice among all of the marques. And you're right, most people bought off the lot. Few folks ordered their cars.
I think this, and racing & special parts programs, dealer mods, etc., have all contributed to a lot of the ambiguity about originality. This is noted in the inconsistencies documented between different sources of literature, as well as much discussion on this site, and others.
I think that the ambiguity regarding a lot of what is "original" on the 105 cars, (and maybe particularly the sedans) is why the market has been more tolerant to many modifications. This has included everything from well-executed performance modifications, to color combinations.
Although I will not dispute that a car that is totally original to its verified, supporting factory documentation will probably always command a premium over a comparable condition car with period correct modifications or non-original colors combinations, but by subjective opinion is that the premium will probably never be that significant, except when the cars become popular to the collectors and speculators.
My priorities for the Alfas I have owned have always included trying to remain faithful to the spirit of these cars with mostly period correct, (or seemingly period correct) mods that wont prevent the car from being returned to original by any future owner if that's what they want. However, having the car totally original as it came from the factory while I own it is not part of those priorities. If they are yours, that's cool to me too.
-just my $.02 on this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts