Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

After looking for a good condition Spider Veloce fender badge for my '80 forever (and not finding one) I have decided to produce my own, and thought I would post here in case anyone else is interested in one... (or a pair).

So far I have only produced a sample in mild steel, to check size etc, but will produce the final ones in 3mm brass with chrome plating. (See pic*) I am pretty pleased with the result so far, and expect the final product to be a decent replacement for an original, although since this is being laser cut it will not have the slight bevel found on the original casting.
* The middle one is an original, the top one is a raw blank, and the bottom one had a quick polish (but is not chromed).

If anyone is interested, or even just has some feedback/ questions please get in touch.

Cheers,
Roland

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Water jets can do angles, but it's more expensive than laser, and I havent figured out how to produce the CAD drawing for a beveled edge yet! The main issue is that the top and bottom surfaces are quite different when you take into account the bevel, and I suspect that programmig the jet to get it right would require a knowledge of the CNC software that I just don't have :)
As for stainless the cost difference is so minimal I would rather have chrome...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is very exciting! I have been looking for replacements for quite some time myself.
I have just asked my cutting guy to go ahead with a pair for me. If you'd like me to up the order let me know and make me an offer... Costs are brass, cutting, plating and a little for my time and efforts... and ongoing restoration :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts