Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the original paint number for the silver on a 74? Getting ours ready to sell and po liked the Mercedes dark grey when he had it back in 81. Must have been a really cheap job so I am removing it and going back to the original silver. Fortunately, the doors, trunk etc are still the original color and unmolested. Do you think I will get my money back on this or should I just let the next owner do it? The only rust is in the driver floor pan, should I replace that before I try to sell? It has 44,000 miles (can document this is the original miles). Opinions are valued. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Removing paint and repainting is probably going to cost a significant fraction of the total value of the car. Do you have a quote for this? A potential buyer might like gray and just want to do a sand and respray.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be doing all the prep and quite possibly the respray itself. Have done several different cars and turned out quite nice. Don't mind a liberal amount of elbow grease. By the way the paint now looks ok from 20 yards, but not close up.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Removing paint and repainting is probably going to cost a significant fraction of the total value of the car.

About 105%. Good paint is expensive! My project has one very old repaint; as long as it protects the metal from rust I'm going to call it "patina".

Seriously, if you're just going to sell the car right after, consider doing a cut and buff of the old finish and let the next owner worry about perfect paint.

Oh and do fix the rusty floors. That will cost far less and add more value.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts