Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1957 Giulietta, and was told this is the most active forum supporting this model. This is a vintage race car, which has been stripped of most of it's "street parts."

It's a current VSCCA/VRG/SVRA car, so I don't plan on making any major changes until I'm comfortable with it and determine if there are any things that don't suit my driving capabilities (which are very limited).

I do have a few potential near-term needs:
(1) Alfa CR gearbox
(2) Center grill, as this car apparently got a little friendly with the tail of another car at some point in its racing history.
(3) Some reference books for the basic mechanical subsystems
(4) Recommendations for new/used parts suppliers

I'll start wading thru the thousands of relevant posts on this model.
Thanks in advance.

Bfeng

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Uh Oh - your e9 is going to get jealous!

Hey, I know you - we met at the Irvine Cars & Coffee a year or so ago, yes?

I can't help too much with #1 and 2.

For #4: the BB has a list of the US and European parts suppliers at: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/guests-new-members-introductions-please-read/4361-supplier-list.html Unfortunately that post is 10 years old (though it is still mostly correct) and it's just sort of a "core dump" of vendors.

Another source of 750/101 knowledge is the YahooGroups discussion forum at: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/alfaromeo750-101/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJldGdiNGNtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEzMzY5MjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NjE5NTU1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTQxNzQzNjg0OA--

You might also want to contact your local Alfa club, The Alfa Owners of New England at: http://www.velocissima.com/ The people there would have a better perspective on local sources for parts and support than I would have.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cars and Coffee

Hi Jay,
That's right! I get out there to visit my father.
The E9 needs to stay a street car, and it's restoration is unfortunately 2 down on the list of cars to restore.

But this one is for racing, and should be a good car for the groups it runs with. I was VERY tempted to by that BMW neu class race car that Jim Froula built (Hemmings this summer), but the Alfa out classes anything out of Germany (pre-1959) other than a Porsche speedster/spyder.

Thanks for the tips. Will investigate tonight.

John

Uh Oh - your e9 is going to get jealous!

Hey, I know you - we met at the Irvine Cars & Coffee a year or so ago, yes?

I can't help too much with #1 and 2.

For #4: the BB has a list of the US and European parts suppliers at: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/guests-new-members-introductions-please-read/4361-supplier-list.html Unfortunately that post is 10 years old (though it is still mostly correct) and it's just sort of a "core dump" of vendors.

Another source of 750/101 knowledge is the YahooGroups discussion forum at: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/alfaromeo750-101/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJldGdiNGNtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEzMzY5MjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NjE5NTU1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTQxNzQzNjg0OA--

You might also want to contact your local Alfa club, The Alfa Owners of New England at: Alfa Owners of New England The people there would have a better perspective on local sources for parts and support than I would have.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
John:

I realize I didn't address your question about books & manuals. I always use the Haynes manual pictured below, but that covers models later than your Giulietta. The engine/transmission/differential are fairly common across years, but other systems will differ. Frankly, I'm not sure what manuals exist for the 750 series cars.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I look forward to photos of present and post set up. I would say nail down all the safety gear, check everything over, run it a bit and then address things that need tweaking. Just keep it as it would have raced in '57-'58 and not a hot rod modern car with bits that did not exist in period. Most of all have fun (I sure do with '57 SV).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vintage prep

I would say nail down all the safety gear, check everything over, run it a bit and then address things that need tweaking. Just keep it as it would have raced in '57-'58 and not a hot rod modern car .
George, Thanks for the welcome and advice. The car is currently active with VSCCA so it is not hot rodded with a 2liter, flairs, etc. Still runs a 1300, drums all around, and an all steel body. The race shop that maintains this car says the only things that are arguably not vintage are:
(1) roll cage has double side intrusion bars + 2 rear and 1 front brace,
(2) Schwitters gearbox,
(3) modern tachometer,
(4) plumbed in fire system (engine, ****pit, trunk/fuel-cell),

The guy who built the car did a nice job of making it fast but still keeping it vintage (Bob Colaizzi in OH).

Are 750's already too valuable for parts cars to be found?

John

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Are 750's already too valuable for parts cars to be found?
Pretty much, yes. That isn't to say that horribly rusted examples don't show up on ebay from time to time. But they generally have few salvageable parts left and the sellers usually say something brilliant like "restored examples sell for $80K so mine must be worth at least half that".

But aside from the grille, what parts do you need? Perhaps a spare engine? Not to send you down the "hot rod road" that George J advised against, but if you want/need to replace the engine, a 1300 out of a 105 would be a bit more robust.

In thinking about your mangled grille, vendors like Classic Alfa in the UK sell repro grilles for ~ $350. See: http://www.classicalfa.com/products/750%252d132-CENTRE-HEART-GRILLE-%252d-750-%26-101-SERIES-SPIDER-%26-750-SPRINT.html http://www.classicalfa.com/products/750%2d132-CENTRE-HEART-GRILLE-%2d-750-&-101-SERIES-SPIDER-&-750-SPRINT.html Alternatively, it might be cheaper/simpler to have an artisan tap your existing one back into some semblance of its original condition. That approach may not win any concours awards, but you'll wince less when the next track incident occurs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Another e9er

Hi John and Jay,
This is Scott here in FL. I have an e9, and know you guys hang out on the e9 board too. Small world.
I am waiting for a 1962 1600 Sprint to show up on a boat from Sweden. It is set up for rallying/vintage racing, too. Interior is mostly still carpeted and streetable, and the mechanicals are mostly stock.
I plan to use it on the street, but considering some track days (have done quite a few in a street e36 M3). How do four drums hold up under race conditions in a Giulietta?
Scott

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drums on the track

Hi Scott,
Small world indeed. You guys don't happen to own Jaguars as well, do you?
I thought about an E9 vintage race car but the cost to build such an animal was too high for my budget.

Drum brake performance on the track? I have no idea how they hold up. The 750D is a pretty small/light car. The one I bought should be a bit lighter than stock (no bumpers, glass, interior, spare, tools/jack, etc.). Maybe <1700lbs? The drums are 'alfin' type and pretty large. When I've been on track with Giulietta's, they didn't seem to have any problems threshold braking throughout the race session.

The previous owner does 1:08's at Lime Rock Park, which is quick for a 1300cc street car, but I don't know if that is limited by brakes, power, handling or driver skill. Maybe if the car had a hi performance 1600 motor then discs might be appreciated more.

John

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Could you post several pictures of your car? Perhaps an overall view, one of the engine, and one of the ****pit.

I am in the process of returning my '62 Spider Veloce to it's appearance when I was racing so I may be able to help a bit. However, my car was prepared to SCCA specs which are worlds apart from any vintage specs.

Did I say 'worlds apart'? Maybe it should be 'galaxies apart'.

In any event if I can help you with out sending down a wrong path I will do so.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I sold my E9 a couple of years ago, to fund the purchase of an XKE. I was quite active on the E9 forum before that.

Here are pictures of the gone E9 and the replacement

Regarding manuals, I believe you can purchase Giulietta manuals from Car Disc International. Here's the link to their website.

CarDisc International Ltd. - Giulietta Manuals

Post some pictures of the Alfa

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all very much

Tony, this is very helpful. Everyone else, thanks very much. I've ordered some of the "essential" books that you've recommended. I'm looking forward to meeting those of you local to me (Boston metro), including Mike L (wave as you pass me on the track), and Tony.

John

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
non-Alfa's

Beautiful XK120M, what year is it? I have a 54 that was purchased new by my wife's grandfather.
Henry,
This is Chick Herbert's old car (famous architect). I was surprised nobody in his family wanted to keep it. It's a pretty needy driver, but looks good enough to photograph well.

John

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Henry,
This is Chick Herbert's old car (famouns architect). I was surprised nobody in his family wanted to keep it. It's a pretty needy driver, but looks good enough to photograph well.

John
IMHO they are magnificent cars, that drive surprisingly well (once you get past the truck feeling), and have an engine sound difficult to surpass.

Take good care of it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
noise

IMHO they are magnificent cars, that drive surprisingly well (once you get past the truck feeling), and have an engine sound difficult to surpass.

Take good care of it.
I find the xk's handling and brakes distinctly pre-war in character, and it's so noisy ear plugs are mandatory for occupants and nearby pedestrians are either fascinated or annoyed. I think of it as analogous to a big Harley with straight pipes, and it's the perfect rally car. The Westfield is perfect for running around town and autox'ing. The E9 will be the long distance tourer.

The Alfa, on the other hand ... well the Italians still hold a monopoly on graceful, lithe styling and driving dynamics. In comparison, all classic British sports cars, other than a Lotus 7/11, are trucks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts