Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All! I just bought my first Alfa spider veloce (86) and have a couple of issues, maybe mechanical, maybe cosmetic I don't know.

When I put her in first and accelerate, if I am a little too fast, it sounds like 2 metal plates rub against each other, until the RPM's get high enough, then she's fine.

Also, every now and again there is a "rumbly groan" from under my seat.

Any ideas?

Thanks! Joani

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Congratulations on your Alfa purchase.

Next step- if you plan to work on the car yourself- use the search feature. You'll find many posts on this same problem.

You should also buy a manual. You'll find that many of the same problems you'll have with your car are common to the Alfa's. Grounding problems, engine mounts, speedometer/odometer, noises, gremlins, etc. Have fun spending some time under the hood. For the buck, the car is the most fun car I've ever had. If I could afford one, I'd buy a Porsche Boxster, but then again, why pay so much money?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Hate to suggest bad news, but it sounds like your clutch may be slipping. Maybe you are releaseing it too slowly but from your description it might be worth checking out. What kind of miles are on the car? Clutches are consumabe parts, meaning that they wear out be design and have to be replaced occasionally (like brake shoes/pads). Usually a clutch wil last 80,000 to 100,000 miles, but that depends to a large part on the driver and how he/she drives the car. Get a relative or friend with automotive know how to check the clutch for you, or take it to a repair shop. But if you do take it to a repair shop, don't suggest to them that you think you have a clutch going out. Some less than totally honest shops are happy to confirm what you are already leaning toward and do a repair that you may or may not need. Just describe the sound/symptom and let them make the diagnosis. Whatever you do, just get an estimate and seek further advive before you commmit to the repair that they suggest.

Tha rumbling under the seat could be an exhaust pipe, heat shield, of some part of the drive shaft and it's supports. You will probably have to have the car put on a lift and checked by someone who actually knows something about Alfa Romeo as they have a 2 piece driveshaft with associated supports so the average chevy mechanic will likely be totally in the dark about checking and verifying a driveshaft problem.

Get more advice from other BB members. They are an incredibly knowledgeable bunch and always happy to lend a hand. If you will post your city/state one of them may know of a reliable shop of individual in your area.
Robert

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
vf31hill-

I hesitate to say the clutch is the problem, being that there's a noise from under the seat. We'll see...

Duke
VMFA-323
"Come to Fight Come to Win"

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
"When I put her in first and accelerate, if I am a little too fast, it sounds like 2 metal plates rub against each other, until the RPM's get high enough, then she's fine."

Duke58,
I was adressing the first of her 2 complaints, quoted above.
Robert

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Jasmine9, That 'rumble-groan' under the set. Is it perhaps a sound a little further back?
If so, have you inspected the rear trailing-arm and bushing? How does the
car 'handle'? How does the car 'track'?............Ed K.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
That rumbling under the seat could be the road only inches from your butt. Serious! See if it repeats on the same stretch of road.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
"Duke
VMFA-323
"Come to Fight Come to Win"

Duke,
What airframe, what years, what was your position or job skill? Where was your home base, CA?
VF31rhill
Vf-31 Tomcatters F4B and J
"We get ours at night"

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
vf31rhill-

Upon return to MCAS El Toro,Calif., the Phantom drivers began a demanding and rigorous training schedule, setting the standard for other F-4 units. From 1969 until their transition to the F/A-18 Hornet, VMFA-323 participated in a long list of exercises and deployments on land and sea. One notable deployment was aboard the USS Coral Sea, when VMFA-323 and its F-4N's stood ready for combat in the Gulf of Oman during the Iranian hostage crisis of 1980.

Former avionics chief until 1992.

Duke

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This place is great. Thanks for all of your help. Here are my thoughts....She runs really well, sticks to the road, not jumping or hesitant at all. The clutch seems fine (I'm a seasonal clutch user). Honestly, it sounds more like something in the passenger side front panel area, I haven't been able to see anything though. It doesn't feel like the clutch. As for the rumble, it could definitely be the heat shield, hadn't thought of that....as I said, never had one of these. It does come from directly underneath me, not the road though.

I do have a manual on the way and do plan to continue to do the work myself. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Interesting. I will contact you by email so as not to cluter up the BB. I tought I knew most of the F-4 models, but the N is not familiar to me.
Robert

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Directly under you is the heat shield, then the exhaust system.Robert

·
Registered
56 Posts
2nd gear grind

Alfa Spiders are notorious for second gear grind. I did a search when I first got my Spider V and it was suggested that I try changing differential oil to synthetic. Several brands were recommended and I chose Mobil 75 wt. synthetic. Amazing difference. But that's just my experiance.
In any event good luck and Happy Motoring:D
Mike

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Rear rubber tranny mount? Or the tranny mount in general. Lots of Alfa owners do their own repairs, and cause their own problems... I for one am guilty. Always have a bolt or two leftover.... :)
Good luck on your new car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the manuals for a 1986 in PDF form and can email them to you if you want. send me a PM with your email if you want them. There are around 10 emails that are about 10 mb a peice. Also, congrats on the car and people in this forum like pictures of it when you say you have a new car!

·
Administrator
17,468 Posts
First, allow me to add my welcome!

it sounds more like something in the passenger side front panel area, I haven't been able to see anything though...
Just a guess but note there is a vapor recovery cannister hidden in a compartment behind the right front wheel well. If you clean off any dirt and crud on the splash panel behind the right front wheel, you should find a few Phillips head screws. Remove them and the splash panel comes off (there is also a hose or two that passes through it). Maybe the one nut holding the cannister is loose/missing?

Picture from the L-jet diagnosis page (looking inside the 'secret compartment with the cannister removed):

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts