Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 160 of 283 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,493 Posts
I for one will be happy to tell anyone who asks me what I think about BHCC.

Reactions: autobroker

·
Administrator
12,727 Posts
The verdict from the body shop was that they could try to pull the frame but that they were worried about causing other damage. What scared me was that the likelihood of introducing new stresses to the body panels which could then damage the paint on what is otherwise a good looking car was just too high.

Pulling the frame might work but the cost of the unintended consequences are potentially far too high to risk it. It is better to sell the car as is, a basically good vehicle for weekends and getting coffee. Alas, that's what I am looking for ;(
Good luck with the sale. You are making the right decision. Pity you could not just get your money back.

Your next one will be better :)

Best
Pete

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Thanks to you all

I wanted to thank you all for the advice and support given. I wasn't planning to restore a car to concourse level, just have a fun sports coupe with rust problems, you know, the Alfa experience ;)

Budget wise (and from a wife not killing me perspective), I have to sell this car first before I can buy another. I posted it on craigslist and received a bunch of replies but you know how cl works, it's flake city.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Any chance you could shame/threaten BHCC into buying it back ?
I had to sign a waiver that I did not opt for the return policy. It was $250 but useless as it had an expiration date of 3 days, less time than it would take for the car to be shipped to my home. I think legally, there is little chance of accomplishing anything... and well, I am not completely faultless either. I have to think of it as an expensive lesson...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had to sign a waiver that I did not opt for the return policy. It was $250 but useless as it had an expiration date of 3 days, less time than it would take for the car to be shipped to my home. I think legally, there is little chance of accomplishing anything... and well, I am not completely faultless either. I have to think of it as an expensive lesson...
I feel for you, because as I mentioned above I had the same happen to me with a 911... I ended up selling the car with full disclosure, as a parts car, for the price of parts (the rebuilt engine alone was worth my asking price). Lost $10K on the deal, but clear conscience and a valuable lesson...

In hindsight the value of those cars having skyrocketed, I should have kept it, but each time I opened the garage i had a reminder that I got F$%$%d. I hated that. Best gone !
Good luck for the next one, sometimes buying a more $$ one is cheaper in the long run ! (another valuable lesson from my adventures in old cars)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Good luck with the sale. You are making the right decision. Pity you could not just get your money back.

Your next one will be better :)

Best
Pete
My mistake was in being impatient and overly optimistic and overconfident. I figure I could fix any of the hard bits, engine, suspension etc. I'm a mechanical engineer after all. Turns out, that's the easy part, it's the body work, rust, frame that are the real difficult (and expensive) areas when dealing with a vintage car. Expensive lesson learned. Yes, at this point I hope I can get into a good GTV soon...

·
Registered
640 Posts
oh, so thats yours on cl. looks nice, too bad it didnt work out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
oh, so thats yours on cl. looks nice, too bad it didnt work out.
yeah it looks nice and drives well when you're doing easy driving. I want a car I can push and to get this car to that level would most likely compromise it's present value and looks...

·
Registered
640 Posts
I feel for you, because as I mentioned above I had the same happen to me with a 911... I ended up selling the car with full disclosure, as a parts car, for the price of parts (the rebuilt engine alone was worth my asking price). Lost $10K on the deal, but clear conscience and a valuable lesson...

In hindsight the value of those cars having skyrocketed, I should have kept it, but each time I opened the garage i had a reminder that I got F$%$%d. I hated that. Best gone !
Good luck for the next one, sometimes buying a more $$ one is cheaper in the long run ! (another valuable lesson from my adventures in old cars)
IMO, this is good advice for your situation as well. If you plan on getting another alfa and being part of the community, selling your car as "wonderful" for 28k w/o disclosure of what you now know, imo will come back to haunt you. I'm not saying to give it away, but being less than clear to a new buyer who will find out directly or indirectly what you have chronicled here will put you in the same boat as the guys at BHCC. I'll let other chime in on this and dont mean to assume, just my .02 worth.

CL is a local forum and all the players are involved.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
IMO, this is good advice for your situation as well. If you plan on getting another alfa and being part of the community, selling your car as "wonderful" for 28k w/o disclosure of what you now know, imo will come back to haunt you. I'm not saying to give it away, but being less than clear to a new buyer who will find out directly or indirectly what you have chronicled here will put you in the same boat as the guys at BHCC. I'll let other chime in on this and dont mean to assume, just my .02 worth.

CL is a local forum and all the players are involved.
yeah a bit of marketing is required though to get people to look at the car. The one person that I have shown the car to I walked through pretty much all I know about the car including the probable accidents, repairs, and present condition. It ends up being quite a laundry list..

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
yeah a bit of marketing is required though to get people to look at the car. The one person that I have shown the car to I walked through pretty much all I know about the car including the probable accidents, repairs, and present condition. It ends up being quite a laundry list..
Did you buy it through Ebay?? you could go after them or ay least agitate, slam them on feedback and maybe post in the Ebay community bulletin board about this horrendous experience. And as the others, I feel for you as well...

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Tom.... the car was from BHCC. (not ebay)

It was mentioned a few times in the thread.

Evermore.... really sorry to hear the outcome..... but it was on the cards just from the photos you posted......

Hope you sell it to someone that can do something with it.... (being optimistic).

regards
Mark

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Tom.... the car was from BHCC. (not ebay)

It was mentioned a few times in the thread.

Evermore.... really sorry to hear the outcome..... but it was on the cards just from the photos you posted......

Hope you sell it to someone that can do something with it.... (being optimistic).

regards
Mark
I see, though I saw this car on Ebay....

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,652 Posts
So that would be me who looked at the car yesterday. Saw it on CL and just found this thread on the BB. Wish I had known the details here, because I would not have spent the time to go look at it.

I did not test drive the car. Spent a while looking underneath it, and even for an amateur like me some of the issues mentioned in this thread were obvious. Just too much body & suspension weirdness for me to think about buying it.

After reading this thread I really feel like I dodged a bullet. Sorry to be blunt here, but I do not feel like the car was represented completely honestly on CL or in person, especially given the poor compression numbers you have and all the issues you know about. I realize you've got to do some marketing when you sell a car, but as a potential buyer I'm not feeling very good right now about how you positioned the car for sale.

I'm not angry or anything, but the thought of someone buying this car without knowing all the details makes me feel kind of queasy.

Yes indeedy. My advice would be to point any potential buyer to this thread and let them make an eyes-open decision. I realize that probably means you're going to take a bath on the car, but sometimes that's the price of being an honest man. Just my take.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So that would be me who looked at the car yesterday. Saw it on CL and just found this thread on the BB. Wish I had known the details here, because I would not have spent the time to go look at it.

I did not test drive the car. Spent a while looking underneath it, and even for an amateur like me some of the issues mentioned in this thread were obvious. Just too much body & suspension weirdness for me to think about buying it.

After reading this thread I really feel like I dodged a bullet. Sorry to be blunt here, but I do not feel like the car was represented completely honestly on CL or in person, especially given the poor compression numbers you have and all the issues you know about. I realize you've got to do some marketing when you sell a car, but as a potential buyer I'm not feeling very good right now about how you positioned the car for sale.

I'm not angry or anything, but the thought of someone buying this car without knowing all the details makes me feel kind of queasy.

Yes indeedy. My advice would be to point any potential buyer to this thread and let them make an eyes-open decision. I realize that probably means you're going to take a bath on the car, but sometimes that's the price of being an honest man. Just my take.

I have been following this post from the beginning and BHCC flips lots of junk cars. I feel really bad for you that you end up with lot of hidden problems. I am on my third Alfa and feel that I am a smart car guy. The 84 spider I purchased in 2014 in 102 deg. Heat. I was purchasing with emotion. Was just to hot to notice the issues. It looked great and ran good. Purchase price of $6k and another 4k later I have a great care. I can have a spirited drive in the hills or take my wife on a club ride. My car is not worth much. In fact it is not worth $10k No one likes or appreciates S3. That does not matter because I think it is a great looking car. In the end that is all that matters. When it came to replacing the engine it was a must other wise the car was worthless. My drive door and hood have some gap issues. Let me tell you I love my car! So sorry it took me so long to make my point. Please do not sick your problems with another person. In my opinion you have three choices. 1. Disclaimer and take a loss. 2. Buy a second car with issues and make one great car. 3. Straighten the frame and deal with the issue that come up with after the frame is straighten.

Alfa’s brand brings pure joy to there owner. What is a few $k or a lot of $k when it comes to an Alfa.

PS
In the end the car will be worth $60k in the current market.

That is my two cent of advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

141 - 160 of 283 Posts