Alfa Romeo Forums banner

241 - 260 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
@autobroker If you're truly in the market for a Coupe that ia a daily driver 30 K is a market price.

Tom,

The red '74 looks like a daily driver and $21K is less than $30K. The one that sold on BAT was questionable and I felt that $31K was excessive. Based on the photos and info I've found, I wouldn't purchase either the red one nor the Silver one, but if I had to choose, pick the red one and keep $10 for repairs. I could be completely wrong about this as I haven't seen either one in person + there are very few pictures of the red one. For all I know, it could have been in a bad accident, have frame damage, have bad rust, have a bad motor or tranny, etc.

I only quote your last post because I'm hoping that you really do not have any delusions about the $21K car that you have linked to. I see way more issues with limited and really poor photos than even that last BaT car that you put a bid on. Now a days these less than $20K cars that look like they have potential will likely cost double that to bring them up to your "$30K driver quality" that you reference. Decent quality GTVs have, in the last year, left the station as far as being sub $30K cars. Perhaps the market will once again deflate and, then again, maybe not. Please do not assume too much from any sub $35K or $40K car advertisement that you see that isn't well documented and thoroughly presented if you can't inspect it in person. Good luck with your Alfa GTV search.

·
Registered
183 Posts
@ar1950
I'm thinking about the red 1974 GTV on BAT - the one in Canada. I watched your comments and I appreciate your insight. A couple things I saw that worried me. The body panels don't line up well. Doors don't fit, front fenders to A Pillars, deck lid, etc. Also the missing jack points worry me. The frame looks pretty straight, but looks are much different than fact.

I'm really interested in the '67 Duetto, but I think it's going to run a bit. You know how these Alfa's have been getting bid up on BAT.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@ar1950
I'm thinking about the red 1974 GTV on BAT - the one in Canada. I watched your comments and I appreciate your insight. A couple things I saw that worried me. The body panels don't line up well. Doors don't fit, front fenders to A Pillars, deck lid, etc. Also the missing jack points worry me. The frame looks pretty straight, but looks are much different than fact.

I'm really interested in the '67 Duetto, but I think it's going to run a bit. You know how these Alfa's have been getting bid up on BAT.
Your concerns about the GTV on BaT are likely well founded. If I hadn't bought mine 27 years ago and went through the experience of doing a refurb I would be lost as to what is showing up for sale these days. My car is no example of a number 4 or even, maybe, a number 3 car because of my small changes made during its refrub. Even so, over the years I have noticed so many cars that are far less correct being foisted off as correct when they are not. As far as the Duetto on BaT, yeah, not correct, but definitely would be a winner for the right price. Right now I still think that it is well within that range.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I threw 14,500 up on the Duetto. My gut tells me I'll be looking at $20K - it looks good, but there's some rust stains coming through under the cracks in the undercoating, so there could be some problems in the floor pan. Photo 119 looks like the roll bar was mounted through a rust hole - the intent being to hide the rust hole. I sure hope it isn't, but why on earth would someone put a roll bar on a car like this - most of us don't want it on there and when we remove it, we're stuck with holes in the car.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I threw 14,500 up on the Duetto. My gut tells me I'll be looking at $20K - it looks good, but there's some rust stains coming through under the cracks in the undercoating, so there could be some problems in the floor pan. Photo 119 looks like the roll bar was mounted through a rust hole - the intent being to hide the rust hole. I sure hope it isn't, but why on earth would someone put a roll bar on a car like this - most of us don't want it on there and when we remove it, we're stuck with holes in the car.

Wish me luck!
I saw the rust. You may be stuck with a few holes with or without the roll bar. No matter, it still seems that your bid is in an OK range for the car. If you get the car for this price I would say that you hit a 4 bagger. GLWTA.

BTW, I had to edit this. Did you happen to notice that we have strayed a long way a ways from the original subject of this thread. And, yeah, I really do wonder what the OP did with his situation with that GTV.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I haven't heard anything about the OP. My guess is that he has a lawsuit against BHCC. I hope he wins - I've seen some absolutely terrible cars advertised with those guys. Seems like they find the worst cars and ask for top dollar. Takes the fun out of owning a classic.

·
Registered
350 Posts
A lot of people are saying this car:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-alfa-romeo-gtv-20/

Is the car from this thread, was there any confirmation? I read this thread and then found this link posted recently here, and then noticed the comments there pointing back here.

(I have somewhat of a vested interest here as I have a 71 GTV headed on to BaT this week)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I haven't heard anything about the OP. My guess is that he has a lawsuit against BHCC. I hope he wins - I've seen some absolutely terrible cars advertised with those guys. Seems like they find the worst cars and ask for top dollar. Takes the fun out of owning a classic.
I don’t think that is accurate-all the cars are available for inspection, they document the cars pretty well via lots of photographs. Buying any car of this vintage without putting eyes on it or having it checked is inherently dubious.

Yes, I know, they call everything “excellent “but come on now. I am truly sorry for the OP had, if they made representations beyond their listing or with knowledge of something not visible from the photos then shame on them. I bought a Jensen Interceptor from these guys and it was exactly as shown in the pictures. They didn’t make any claims about the mechanical condition of the car, they simply said we don’t have history on it and we can’t tell you much more than what we see. I did, however, go see it in person which was not that hard because they’re pretty close to where I am.

That said-your comment strikes me as a bit naïve for someone with your user name. Perhaps you were just starting out in the “business “.

·
Registered
183 Posts
No, the car on BAT is not the one from this post. Sorry for the confusion.

The car on BAT seemed to be sketchy and someone put a link to this thread. Not that it's the same car, but to show what can happen when someone buys a bad GTV.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
No, the car on BAT is not the one from this post. Sorry for the confusion.

The car on BAT seemed to be sketchy and someone put a link to this thread. Not that it's the same car, but to show what can happen when someone buys a bad GTV.
Dude - please get your facts right before making statements. Cripes.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I agree , the undercarriage photos were dark and/or blurry. And I don't know what was up with that spare tire well and the area around it.

I also noticed the flash showed they had sprayed some of the floor pan black, which isn't necessarily bad, but why would n't take the time to take care of some of the other suspension parts etc...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am resolved to thinking that rust was mandatory on ALL cars leaving Italian factories in the 70's... Not a question of how good or bad the example you bought is, it's a question of WHEN you will start cutting and welding and bonding with your panel beater and googling "rust treatment solutions". DSC_0645.jpg

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
It cannot be, unless it has a completely new nose panel.

Pete
Thank you thats what I was getting at, looking at that BaT car the bad nose fix was not evident, and the underside was a LOT cleaner, theres no way in such a short period of time the case was resolved, car fixed up like that, and posted on BaT. Not possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FWIW, the first post on BaT regarding this car and the follow-up by the same person:

Apr 9 at 1:39 PM
@pinshaw, it’s not that car…..

Apr 9 at 1:42 PM (the follow up gave the link to this thread - seems I need three more posts myself before AlfaBB will allow me to quote or post a link).

The only reason that this thread and car was even brought up in that BaT auction was because the seller was being less than transparent and tended to obfuscate with some of his answers about the condition of the car. The whole experience relating to the car here is that you need to do your own due diligence before you plunk down your hard earned dollars. I hope that the buyer of the BaT car got what he expected for his money, although, I am skeptical about that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Evermore,

Late to the thread, but it's because I just got my '74 GTV last month. I'm in SF, whereas the car is currently located in Mountain View. Happy to get together and do some manual garage labor, if you're inclined. How was your experience with Rich at Continental Motors? I was just about to take mine to Roselli's in SJ for transmission work.

-Dave

·
Registered
414 Posts
Rich is a good guy.

I was driving a newly acquired GTV down from Lake Tahoe to Santa Barbara over the four day Thanksgiving weekend one year and it broke down in San Jose. Rich opened his shop on Saturday and together we fixed the problem. I had never talked to Rich before my call to him on Wednesday at 6 p.m.

Good mechanic, nice human being.

241 - 260 of 264 Posts