Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I noticed the residue of a little coolant (see photo) around one of the allen head bolts (plugs?) at the top of the engine. I'm guessing I should unscrew it and re-seal it with something, but don't know what sort of sealant to use. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
AA

ooze.jpg

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,528 Posts
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those seal with an aluminum crush washer. Sealant on the threads can't hurt but probably should not be necessary: that's generally for tapered threads where the threads make the seal.

If the others are not leaking just leave them alone.

·
Premium Member
21,711 Posts
It's pretty common. Getting alum allen plugs to tighten without stripping is not always easy. I wouldn't call it a "crush" washer but rather just a washer. Plumber's putty can help in addition to Teflon.
Early 101 and 750 head are way worse in this respect with hammered-in plugs.
Andrew

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,528 Posts
Well, no, it's literally called a crush washer. Annealed aluminum. Molds under pressure to make a seal between the plug and the head. Tapered threads seal on the threads using sealant, straight threads seal via a crush washer.

You need to replace the washer every time, as once you use it then it gets work hardened and will no longer seal properly. Alternatively you can re-anneal it with a torch, but that's a little tough with the aluminum washers as they're rather easy to melt. The trick is to rub it with bar soap and then heat with a torch just until the soap blackens. But usually easier to just source a new one unless you're in a pinch.

·
Premium Member
21,711 Posts
OK. In my aircraft and VW experience, crush washers have a soft rolled-on outer shell and an inner asbestos-like material. They are soft and designed to crush a standard amount. But I'm with you. Also depends on how much torque you put on them!
Andrew

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,528 Posts
Yeah, absolutely true, there's different types. Some applications use fiber washers that work just like gaskets. Alfa seems to have typically used copper or aluminum (e.g., oil gauge sender, oil & transmission drains, temp senders.)

I prefer the copper ones myself as they're easier to anneal. Just heat it until it glows red, let it cool, and you can reuse it indefinitely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts