Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just a heads up, I have banged on and on about how fitting a 155HR15 Pirelli Cinturato is perfect for these cars and how they handle nicer on the correct tyre etc, etc, etc

I am still right. Ask my kids they know i'm always right because i have told them so.

However, over the years people modify their cars adjusting the camber and caster and spring stiffness and dampers and wheel widths etc, etc, etc. to try to help these earlier chassis derive extra grip from of a wider tyre in the corners, which does work, but it comes at the expence of lightness of steering, creates tracking on rutted roads, etc, etc, etc all things that make it great on the track come at the expence of a nice nimble light progressive car that is fun to wizz round the country lanes.

The good news is Pirelli are now making a new tyre that should be with us in the middle of this month. They are making a 175/70R15 Cinturato CN36 175/70 WR 15 Pirelli CINTURATO ™ CN36

In 1968 Pirelli released their first range of low profile radial tyres. The reason this CN36 is better for a Giulietta and Giulia than any other low profile tyre is that they have a carcass that is developed to compliment chassis of that period, little light weight rear wheel drive sports cars. It is a tyre that is designed to keep the handling progressive more like the standard thinner tyres of the day, while offering the extra grip of a wider tyre. In short they have a more rounded carcass so as the car leans in cornering it doesn't climb up onto the shoulder of the tyre and lift the inside edge, it rolls round the shoulder progressively, so the handling is much more progressive. The rounded shoulders also help to diminish the tracking caused by modern tyres on old cars, where the ruts on our crappy old motorways pull at your steering.

Being Pirelli the tyres are fantastic build quality, and modernd superduper compounds, so the grip is excellent, even in the wet. The table below is from a German magazine that did an independent tyre test. the rest of the article is at the bottom of this page Porsche 911 Tyres . but when you look at this test, it is worth noting that this is a tyre test to see if these classic tyres are comparable to modern tyres. When the CN36 scores a 1 for braking in the dry that means it is as good as the very best of modern tyres at braking in the dry, and when it scores -1 in the wet it means it is nearly as good as the very best modern tyre. A score of 3 is what is expected of an average modern tyre. The CN36 score a very high score for a modern tyre under testing situations, However it is better for you car because it has a carcass developed to compliment it.

However i personally would still fit a 155HR15 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 as i do on my Lotus Elite, or if i knew i was going to be doing a lot of motorway useage i would fit 155HR15 Michelin XAS

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We now have these in stock.

Just a small first batch but people seem to love them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Very interesting, thanks!
What do you think of the "new" Dunlop Sport Classic always in 155HR15?
Have you had the opportunity to test them or get feedback from some friend or customer?

Thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Very interesting, thanks!
What do you think of the "new" Dunlop Sport Classic always in 155HR15?
Have you had the opportunity to test them or get feedback from some friend or customer?

Thanks
I just think fit a classic tyre.

i don't understand the Dunlop, it seems like a modern tyre with a Michy Mouse Tread pattern that they have built in some interestingly made in some classic car sizes and written the word "classic" on the side, just to absolutely clarify that it definately is not a classic tyre. If there is one way to make sure a trye looks nothing like a classic tyre, then that is to write "classic" on the side of it. It is a shame Dunlop have lots of history why they didn't use a proper historic tread pattern so even if they continued to use a wrong carcass it could at least look right. And at the same time there are a few actual historic tyres made with Dunlop written on the side wall that are not even made by Dunlop, but made else where under license. I don't get it. they are doing it all wrong. If they were cheap it would make sense. But even then, even if they hadn't written classic on the side wal, even if they had used a proper carcass, even if they had used a period tread pattern even then it would have to be a lot cheaper to fit it instead of the proper Michelin XAS or Pirelli Cinturato wouldn't it?

When comparing classic tyres the article at the bottom of this page will probably be of interest PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 - Pirelli Classic Tyres

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for your answer (y)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I have got quite mixed up when organising the models of car. However this web page

Should offer you most models of classic Alfa and show you the options of proper period tyres.

I know some people want to modify their car and fit wider tyres and that is OK. but that isn’t what we do. we will offer the proper thing and genuine period alternatives which does to a certain extent offer larger tyres. But they will be period tyres so the consequences will be diminished.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts