Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i while ago i bought a Montreal as a project. it needed a lot of work and i was planning to use it as parts car. but someone bought it as is.

i have another one in original condition. but like more Montreals it has had paintwork in another color for years ago. maybe i will have it repaint in original color. Montreal did not have any welding and bottom looks very good. i will place some pics. can anyone tell me unusual things or incorrect things. tell me where to look at when painting in original color. i understand that not everything needs painted? how about backside? sometimes i see complete the original color on the back and sometimes with black?

thanks,
john

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,549 Posts
I personally would not paint that lovely original looking car. Nice color too.
Pete

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
That is a nice looking Montreal. Is it metalic blue, I can't tell.

Usually the black or dark grey paint on the back end is contained within the area surrounded by the stainless steel bumpers and not above them or the license plate mid line.
The oil sump/dipstick cap is usually silver as is the radiator overflow cap (not red). If you do a Google search for Montreal engines I am sure you will find a previous post where Hana searched through hundreds of magazines to find original engine compartment photographs. Have you got a copy of Bruce Taylor's wonder book "Alfa Romeo Montreal the Essential companion"? Very helpful as is his web site.

Thanks for sharing,
Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree. Lovely looking car and not too many around in blue.

Do you know what the original colour was?

Steve
Adelaide
Australia

·
Registered
838 Posts
I agree with my Aussie bloke from Sydney, Australia! Keep it as it is. Sure clean it up and fix any small problems there may be on the car. It has a great patina and in my mind is worth much more that way. Going through a complete strip down to return it to it's "original" color (depending on what that color was) is of debatable value.

·
Registered
838 Posts
BTW, the Air Intake pipes seem to be incorrect. 1 is silver aluminum and the other black rubber. I know the correct material is hard to find, but I did, so if you need some for your car. let me know. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hello,

thanks for the comment.

i made some more pics. try to make some from under the monti.
my (i bought it with my brother) car is number 1428457 so i think 72/early 73. german registration papers says 1969 but first one was around '70? original color is i think green and painted red after that. but i am waiting for answer from Italy (Fazio).

the color from now is nice but paintwork was not that beautiful. some paint work in wheel arches and some small paint on the chrome. so its difficult to say what to do. leave it like this or remove all the paint and back to original? depends also what we do with the Montreal. drive it for a while or we sell it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was not finished yet..

in 1996 we bought a Montreal too (orange) but with that car we drove and stood still. after a while he started again and could drive for a wile and again....but the sound......

so now when we saw this Montreal fall in love again especially when you hear the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Very nice as is and I love the dark blue; usually the door between inside and outside (where the red light and door 'catch' are) is body color not black (except around window frame, which is black) and door jambs are body color.

The seats look original, what does the seat back look like? Any perforations or just vinyl? Wiper blades holders should be stainless steel and not black plastic.

In the engine compartment, the horn compressor is usually mounted behind the grill on the right side support and not the front left fender. The vacuum hoses for the 'eyelids' are normally black rubber vacuum hose.

The body 'sits high' as did mine until 1 3/4 loops of the rear springs fell off; I wish 2 loops had but it was too much work to do again:smile2: The front springs are getting ready to lose 1 loop each. OBTW, S/N ...8457 corresponds to one of only 273 left hand drive cars produced in 1975.
Mark

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Despite the fact that it is not original, the blue looks very nice and makes that car unique. I would leave it that colour. Some of the original Monti colours were not very exciting in my opinion. Brighter colours suit them.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i received an e-mail from Italy (marco fazio):

production date 26th of May 1975 and sold to Alfa Romeo Germany (Frankfurt). so i think it was all its life in Germany until now.

colour is metallic green and interior is avana beige.

regards,
john

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
...production date 26th of May 1975...colour is metallic green and interior is avana beige.
The date and color combination sounds about right. The Beige interior was available with a few exterior colors including the Metallic green, which is a popular color but we, as a group, have decided for you to keep the blue:wink2:

Orange (or Metallic orange I believe) was the most popular color for the Montreal, hey it was the 70's!

Here is a link to the engine compartment photos mentioned previously:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-montreal/352481-engine-compartment-photos-when-new.html
Mark

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hello Mark,

you say that the Beige interior color was the right combination with green metallic. what was the other colors matching this interior? orange match this color too?

our plan is to have the car repaint (and remove all prior paintwork) because too much things on it and many parts made black which is not original. that blue color was an original color? where can i find the colors?

where can i find exhaust parts?

robo330: do you have that part you said was incorrect? give me a pm.

its difficult to say what color we make it.
normally i say keep it the original color but other colors is also nice.
but is that wise when time comes when you want to sell it?

thanks,
john

1 - 17 of 17 Posts