Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Summer Alfa trip is only a few days away!

Please note the slightly earlier departure time.

Fri. July 13- The plan is to meet at "The Fort" in Morrison at 7:00am on Friday. We will leave as soon as possible after everyone has arrived. The Fort is about 1/4 mile north of the intersection of US 285 and CO HWY 8. This is the first exit off US 285 west of C-470

Lunch will be at the San Luis Valley Brewing Company in Alamosa, CO at about noon. From Alamosa drivers can either take the straight shot to Taos, or the very scenic drive through Chama, NM to Taos. We should arrive in Taos between 3pm and 5pm depending on the route. Dinner in Taos.

Saturday July 14th- Taos- Santa Fe- Taos
Hang out in Taos for the morning (or optional early drive to Taos ski mountain- about 1hr drive time round trip). Leave Taos 10:30am and drive the high road to The Sugar Nymphs Bistro in Peñasco, NM for lunch at 11:30am. After lunch people will have the choice of either driving straight to Santa Fe, (which is having an art festival that weekend), or taking a scenic drive to Los Alamos and Bandelier National Monument before heading to Santa Fe for dinner at La Choza at 6pm. We will return to Taos that evening.

Sunday July 15th- Taos-Denver
Leave Taos at 8am and drive "The Enchanted Circle" en route to lunch in La Veta, CO La Veta Inn | Then head back to Denver. If it is especially hot, people that do not have AC, (me included) may choose to take US-285 through the mountains as opposed to baking on I-25 on the drive home. Which also makes stopping at Great Sand Dunes NP an option.

See you soon! Scott

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Our 2012 summer tour was AMAZING!

Great People, great food, great roads, and great cars!

We had 5 Alfas (10 people) from Colorado make the drive from Denver. We had 3 Alfas from NM (4 people) join us. And 1 Porsche from southwestern Colorado (2 people).

My odometer showed 970 miles driven in the 3 days. We had no major problems, just a couple of jump starts for the Giulietta after the lights got left on during lunch oops :eek:

We are already talking about next year!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jump starting the Giulietta Sprint after driving though heavy rain.
BTW- if it rains hard enough the drivers feet get wet on right turns, and the passengers feet get wet on left turns!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
You picked some wonderful roads and (of course) had great weather. I've not seen some of the places you went since I was a young man. Did you do the road up to the Taos Ski Area? I worked up there one summer (!) as a college student. I assume the road is now paved? We used that road as practice for WRC!! (me in an English Ford, and my buddy in a 911) [Guess who had the faster time!] :eek:
Glad to see you had a good turnout and a good time.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You picked some wonderful roads and (of course) had great weather. I've not seen some of the places you went since I was a young man. Did you do the road up to the Taos Ski Area? I worked up there one summer (!) as a college student. I assume the road is now paved? We used that road as practice for WRC!! (me in an English Ford, and my buddy in a 911) [Guess who had the faster time!] :eek:
Glad to see you had a good turnout and a good time.
One of the NM cars did the drive up to the ski area. I'm pretty positive it is paved. They said it was fun. The roads were some of the best I have driven! Great sweeping turns with nice elevation changes, and incredible views!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.