Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

As a new Alfa enthusiast, I'm asking the alfabb board members if you folks know of an Alfa 105 (1966-1972) for sale in your area? I prefer the spartan (clean) dash and interior of the early cars. And I'm partial to a step-nose 1300GTA widebody look, but a stunning blue GTV with minilites would do just as nicely (see example images).

I typically like to buy the very best example I can find, as buying a restored car is always preferable (and often less expensive) than building one. I'm not a purest. Modified cars can also be quite nice, if they've been done tastefully. For example, Alfaholics or Gran Tourismo reproduction GTAs, or a concourse level street-car...but with a built twin spark, minilites, etc.

In order of priority, I am looking for: (1)a stunningly straight body, (2)updated suspension mods, (3)a rebuilt drivetrain. If I get the first two, I'm happy. I can always have Richard at Autovolante build me a twin-spark 220HP motor, locally in Miami.

Also, I'm considering a second car for vintage racing and Carrera PanAm style road-rally events. For this ride, a modified car could be an asset. A "retro-mod" could benefit from modern performance and safety features.

If there is a candidate car known to you personally, please have the person send me any details/photos. In advance, I really appreciate your help in my search.

I look forward to being as active on this board as I have been on the NSXprime board. I've owned NSXs since the day they came out, summer of 1990. And I'm no virgin when it comes to really cool projects.

Please either post replies to this thread, or email me at:
anil dot sethi at xlipstream dot com

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Serial

Welcome to the board--there is a lot of info here.

You have some interesting cars.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Greetings
but a stunning blue GTV with minilites would do just as nicely (see example images).
Anil -
Nice example. I seriously doubt the blue one is for sale!! The owner is on the bb however, so I should let him respond himself. Everything has a price, so I am told.;)

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the offer, but unfortunatly, you don't have enough money to buy this one from me ! ;^)
You have a great example of what I'm searching for. Thanks for the images. Obviously, I'm not looking to pry your car away from you. But if you know of someone who's interested in selling a fine example like yours, let them know I'll be lurking in the background :)

Serial, Welcome to the board--there is a lot of info here., You have some interesting cars.
You're so right, this board reminds me a LOT of the NSXprime board. Tons of knowledgeable folks. I like that. As for interesting cars, yeah, after owning some nice cars, I find that less is, indeed, often more. Must be gettin' old?

A smaller car. A simpler car. A lighter car. That's where the action is. Colin Chapman had it right. And the Alfa 105 is that car for me. Though Schumacher's Benetton will -- in short order -- snap your neck clean off. Hey, that can also be fun :)

Anil - Nice example. I seriously doubt the blue one is for sale!! The owner is on the bb however, so I should let him respond himself. Everything has a price, so I am told.;) Good luck in your quest.
Thanks much. I have no idea where I pulled those images from. But if the owner is one this board, I didn't mean to suggest that I want to buy his car. Just that these are two nice examples, for reference only, that caught my eye.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, if anyone here is also on another board, like Yahoo's group "alfaracing" please feel free to cross post on my behalf. Thanks very much.

Some of my more recent rides...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Tooo much--the colour of the F1 goes so well with the house and garden:):)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Anil - Nice example. I seriously doubt the blue one is for sale!! The owner is on the bb however, so I should let him respond himself. Everything has a price, so I am told.;)
If you know the owner, why not lob this thread in his direction? Stir the pot, a bit. Ya never know...I've got a brand new Civic Hybrid to throw in as part of the deal. LOL. Just kidding.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Italian Imports

My Nuova Super 1300 was imported from this source. Buying from Italy is a bit cumbersome, but for the right car is worth the effort. I have a great source also for bringing the cars in, and facilitating the registration in the US.

Check out Pirola in Italy. Allow quite a bit of extra money to complete the job of a great base car. Thought you might like to see a '71 Giulia Super Biscione 1600. With the family, your boys could both enjoy a great ride with you. And if you've never driven the Berlinas, I think they plant themselves into and out of corners better than the GTVs... but I've always loved to surprise people with my little punched out 1300.

Check out (thought English translation does not seem to be functional):

Alfa-Mania di Flavio Pirola

Here's my little in process beauty. After a few more years enjoying just driving it, it will be off to Akitaman for a complete body-redo and detailing of all of the bits to showroom fresh (provided I might find them... or I'll have to have somebody replate all of the "patina'd" bits). And yes, it will be over-restored, and I'll never get my money out of it. It is a time machine, and doesn't need a flux capacitor to take me back to grad school, and my first, brand new from the dealer, Navy Blue Berlina.

Here's mine, one of the Pirola imports, brought in by Bobcor (another story I'm not prepared to tell... but the education was definitely an advanced degree, though less expensive than grad school years ago). Image with steel wheels and 165x14 tires, and Performance "Minilites" and 185/70-14 Hi-Tracs.

Good luck in your quest. Can't wait to see what you end up with.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
If you know the owner, why not lob this thread in his direction? Stir the pot, a bit. Ya never know...I've got a brand new Civic Hybrid to throw in as part of the deal. LOL. Just kidding.
Hey Anil -
Done:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Folks

Over the past week, I've had the pleasure of speaking with a good many of you. I appreciate the guidance. After reading some of the historical information on these cars, below are the aesthetics of the replica I hope to buy or build. The running gear choice is quite open, but it should satisfy most vintage race and/or rally scrutineering. Again, it's unlikely that I'll find this exact replica, but if you know of a car that comes close, then I can build out the rest.

Also, if anyone has knowledge of this exact car, please get me in contact with the owner. I wish to get detailed photos if he/she is kind enough to share them with me. Of course, I'll post all photos to this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Anil

It is unclear as to whether you are looking for a race car or street car or a historically significant car or just a replica, however in ALL of those cases probably one of the best places to start in the US will be talking to Roman Tucker. I would venture a guess that he is currently maintaining some of the most significant 105's in the US. If you have the notion, he could make you nearly anything, as his collection of rare parts is mind boggleing. He can be reached through his website here Roman Auto Prep

Andy

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but unfortunatly, you don't have enough money to buy this one from me !

:eek: Sorry but that's not the case for me:(. Always willing to sell for say a million bucks .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts