Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from NZ,
have at last realised a long time dream of mine & purchased an old Italian car that I can slowly over time restore. 1989 33QV. Runs pretty well & rust free which is a bonus! Have found & downloaded workshop manuals but does anyone know where I might be able to find any parts manuals ?
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Tire
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
Speedometer Vehicle Gear shift Car Odometer
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Sweet little 33, very nice. Welcome to the "madness". It's a good madness!
CarDisc may have a parts manual. check on line

·
Registered
551 Posts
A car that gave me some satisfaction a few years ago. I would highly recommend a limited slip differential combined with 4 modern sport shock absorbers and power steering. Nervous car ...

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A car that gave me some satisfaction a few years ago. I would highly recommend a limited slip differential combined with 4 modern sport shock absorbers and power steering. Nervous car ...
Thanks for the tips Sergio, your 33 looked great ! Something for me to aspire to

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I assume you‘ve tried AROC(NZ)? Good base of knowledge there. Otherwise the Australian club, Alfa Romeo Owners Club of Australia Forum - Index. A good deal of knowledge there in these cars, plus connected to the NSW club which has a great technical library available to members.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assume you‘ve tried AROC(NZ)? Good base of knowledge there. Otherwise the Australian club, Alfa Romeo Owners Club of Australia Forum - Index. A good deal of knowledge there in these cars, plus connected to the NSW club which has a great technical library available to members.
Thanks, appreciate your suggestions . I am a member of the AROC NZ so will definitely seek advice there and will also check out the AUS site

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sergio105,
Nervous car?
Pete
Yes. I drove it for about 8 years when my father gave it to me. I never had the space and money to be able to make those corrections that, as a young and inexperienced driver, I thought it was right to do.
118hp on a car weighing about 920kg was a great thing, unfortunately the chassis a little "light", combined with the McPherson at the front which changed geometry at every acceleration, braking or corner made it nervous. Moreover, the heavy steering in maneuver was greatly affected by the shaking of the front axle.
I tested a 33 16v with power steering and new geometries and I was favorably impressed with how the Alfa technicians had managed to evolve the Alfasud project.
Entirely subjective opinions, I repeat.

·
Administrator
15,256 Posts
Thanks. Interesting. I have not spent much time in a 33. Not even sure I've ever driven one, but been a passenger when we lost a little fun traffic light GP to a Toyota Corolla.

I owned and raced a Sud Ti for many years, and yes at 11/10ths lots of things were happening, and I had changed spring rates and dampers, etc. ... but before I stupidly poly bushed her she was a great road and forgiving race car. Lots of feed back
Pete

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Pete,
I was thinking of replacing my suspension bushes on the 33 with poly bushes when they need doing , you are not a fan of these ? How did they affect the Sud ?
Cheers
Dan

·
Administrator
15,256 Posts
Well I will just say "be careful".

Alfa Sud and I believe 33s are the same, use bushes on their side on the front suspension. This 100% relies on the rubber flexing, which did not happen with the poly bushes that I installed. This meant that effectively I had massively increased my front spring rate > result => car darted all over the race track, and meant I had to be 110% on the job all the time.

The second problem was the rear suspension bolts worked loose because the inner sleave was trying to undo the bolts all the time > result => car wandered all over the place and was hard to keep in a straight line. It was so bad at speed that my engine builder and his mechanics that had been testing the car thought I was a very, very brave man. I solved this by double nutting all the bolts, but was always checking them.

Pete

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Pete,
I will definitely think twice before using them now. I am no race car driver (only in my dreams !) but would definitely not want to fit anything that could be detrimental to the handling of the car

·
Registered
551 Posts
Pete's directions are very pertinent.
Sold the 33 I no longer had / wanted to have anything to do with the Alfasud project, Giulia and 105 were more attractive ...
However, the "rubber" that supports the 33 is better if it is efficient but not too hard, it would certainly upset a factory balance that makes it, at least, drivable on the road. The track is EVERYTHING something else. I repeat in my opinion: power steering, self-locking and 4 quality springs / shock absorbers and you made the car. Work a little with the front anti-roll bar just so you don't go boating.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Well I will just say "be careful".

Alfa Sud and I believe 33s are the same, use bushes on their side on the front suspension. This 100% relies on the rubber flexing, which did not happen with the poly bushes that I installed. This meant that effectively I had massively increased my front spring rate > result => car darted all over the race track, and meant I had to be 110% on the job all the time.

The second problem was the rear suspension bolts worked loose because the inner sleave was trying to undo the bolts all the time > result => car wandered all over the place and was hard to keep in a straight line. It was so bad at speed that my engine builder and his mechanics that had been testing the car thought I was a very, very brave man. I solved this by double nutting all the bolts, but was always checking them.

Pete
It’s been many years now but I recall seeing Sud’s rip the front suspension arm out of the body when fitted with poly bushes in that location. As Pete says the flex in the rubber is part of the suspension design, and there’s a lot of travel in a standard Sud/33 front end.

• Wow
Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
551 Posts
As with any car model, I recommend that you contact someone who has been "beating his nose" for years. The experience (of serious people of course ...) that accumulates over many years, perhaps on the track, helps you to develop the original product in an exceptional way at times.

Reactions: NZDaniel
1 - 20 of 22 Posts