Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just joined. going to see a 1983 alfetta gtv6 what should i look for ,owner said the is some rust but runs great

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
Welcome to the asylum.

Rust is the biggest killer. Check carefully for rust in the inner fenders - where the front suspension mounts. Rust behind the front wheels is common - the splash shields are insufficient and mud builds up there until the fender rusts through from the inside. Rust at the base of the windshield posts is a problem - probably worse on a car with a sunroof (the drain hoses that are supposed to direct water down to the ground tend to shrink and come loose from the upper end allowing water to pool inside the windshield post).

Ideally I prefer to have the seller not start & warm up the engine before I arrive. Then you can check to see how it starts & idles cold and as it warms up. The engine should start easily - no need to fiddle with the gas pedal - and idle a little fast when cold then settle down after a few minutes.

All the electrical things should work. Expect the windows to move a bit slow compared to a modern car. Lights & turn signals should operate properly.

The transaxle needs to be shifted a little slow when cold. A second gear 'crunch' is common but it needn't be so. Sometimes a switch to the correct gear lube helps, otherwise a rebuild with new synchro's is in order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everyone is telling to stay away from these cars . i am 64 years old and have done many , many restorations on muscle cars . rust repair i can do easily , its the body panel parts i am wondering about

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with everything GNHL wrote.
I have doors for the car if you need them.

Good luck.
Btw, you will find yourself staring at her often and for quite a while , even parked....

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
As a general rule for these cars, the GTV6 and Milano models, DO NOT push on the throttle pedal when starting from cold. They should start without it, and if you do open the throttle when starting it, you can blow the intake plenum off big time as it backfires. Don't ask!

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
"some rust"? Insert Jaws theme" here... How much rust is what you need to know.

·
Registered
189 Posts
As a general rule for these cars, the GTV6 and Milano models, DO NOT push on the throttle pedal when starting from cold. They should start without it, and if you do open the throttle when starting it, you can blow the intake plenum off big time as it backfires. Don't ask!
Is that why Clarkson said they put the plastic panel on the hood of the GTV6? I thought he was just kidding about that, I steered clear and just bought an Alfetta GT.

·
Registered
189 Posts
will let you know tomorrow
I've heard Alfa's in particular like to rust from the inside out. Also I would look for holes in the frame rails, I have a few small ones in mine where dirt got crammed in there while it sat for 40 years, and it just slowly ate away at it.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Also try to restart it after it has warmed up and driven. Hot restarts can be a common issue.

Ask when (date and miles) the timing belt was last changed. Same for timing belt tensioner. Broken belts = bent valves on these cars.

If sorted, these cars are actually pretty bullet proof. Not to mention just really a blast to drive, hear, feel. Mine has been an every-dry-day driver for 7 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts