Alfa Romeo Forums banner

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  BerlinaMiami 
#1 ·
Hello Alfistas; great to be a member! I just purchased a 1974 Berlina that's a major project, but I'm so happy I can't wait to start. I'm going to find, or most likely, fabricate a bunch of missing body parts, but I need to see if any of you have a picture of the metal parts diagram. Anything I can go by as to how these parts fit together. Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
Factory parts manual will help you see how it all fits together. Pat Braden's Alfa Bible and Giulia Restoration books are good primers, though not manuals as such. There is an Autobooks/Brooklands Giulia/1750/2000 shop manual that's basically the only game in town. OK, not great, covers all 105 cars.

You know Alfas at all? Congrats, pictures will help us understand what you've gotten yourself into! Not much in the way of Berlina body parts are remade. You'll be fabbing or trying to find NOS or good used pieces.

Andrew

#5 ·
I just bought a cd of berlina manuals, shop, parts, etc off ebay and it has good info. Haven't had a chance to really go through it yet but appears to be a good value. I just started a 71 so it sounds like we're in the same boat. Welcome and Pictures!
Highwood Alfa has front floorpans and giulia rockers. That is about all that's available.

#6 ·
Welcome to be BB. There are some Alfisti in the Miami area that post here so, hopefully, you can make contact with them. I agree about the manuals. You can't have too many so buy everything you can find. Definitely, first off you should make an effort to find an Autobook manual for 105 Alfas. Even it it talks about GTV's it's still relevant to you Berlina. Also, you should buy a CarDisk CD. If you're rebuilding a Alfa, you'll find the parts manual invaluable.

Keep us posted on your progress. Also, don't be reluctant to ask questions. One of the best things about the BB is that it has a substantial amount of Alfa specific knowledge contributed by Alfa enthusiasts from around the world. If you encounter a problem you'll probably find an answer here.

#8 ·
I'm inspecting the transmission of my new project 1974 Berlina and there is a minor play on the shaft...is it normal? I just went thru the gears and they feel tight and correct but I'm concern about this play.

Attachments

#12 ·
Chances are it is fine. At somepoint a gearbox rebuild should be in order. You can worry about it then. Btw all new forum members are required to post photos, we like pictures:)

#13 ·
2mm is .080", which strikes me as a lot, but I don't know what the spec is. They are always a bit loose, yes. Recall that the nose of the input shaft is supported by the pilot busing in the crank when it's all assembled. So you want to ensure you have a good pilot bushing too.

Andrew

#14 ·
By the way guys....if you want to follow the progress on my Berlina, check out My Alfa Romeo Berlina It's going to be slow cause I have a full time almost 60+ hours a week job, with 4 boys and a lovely wife with a never ending honey-do-list. But I'm going to get her looking good and real.

#15 ·
All I can say is WOW, ...the so fla alfa club prez is a (mint) berlina owner and should have leads on all the bits you`ll be needing. The body looks straight with just surface rust.
BTW Classicalfaparts in Holland has a good inventory of parts and they ship no hassle to Fla.

#16 ·
This is my project. I purchased it from a gentleman in CA who advertised it here. It's a major project but I'm happy I get to do it.

Attachments

#17 ·
The Berlina finally in my garage...it will live till complete. I've dismantled every component and going to sand blast the bottom, trunk, inside and engine bay. The outside I'm going to mechanically remove the rust. It's mostly surface rust although the PO had some sort of "shade tree restorer" who welded metal over rusted metal....unbelievable! But every item needing replacement will be replaced. Of course all floor pans and rockers need to be changed. It's going to challenging but fun!

Attachments

#18 ·
Pulled the engine and cleaned it. Please look at the condition of the cams and let me know what you think. The PO didn't have much information about it, only the one cylinder had low compression but that it was a running engine.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.