Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Friends,
I am a new member from Istanbul/Turkey to this great forum. I am a partner in a restoration workshop which we do restorations on various European oldtimers and also on youngtimers. Currently we are working on a 1972 GTV 2000 and on a 1985 Spider 1600. The main reason of joining the forum is not only for seeking technical help but also I personally love Alfas and eventually would like to own one for myself.

As the work on the Spider is progressing faster and my technical question is directly related to the Spider at the moment, I wanted to post my introduction and the tech. question in this Spider section. I hope that I didn’t make a mistake.

After the brief introduction above, I would like to come to the tech. question.
Our Spider owner friend would like to fit a 2.0 lt engine to his Spider and also like to increase the power of the 2.0 engine. Lets say up to stage 1-2 levels with light modifications + 20-30 bhp. So at this stage, we would like to know if the running gear ( mainly the gearbox and the differential unit ) is going to coop with the said power increase.
I have recognized that the clutch and gearbox is same ( with probably different ratios ) strength wise but the Spider’s 1.6 diff is a smaller unit than the 2.0 GT Veloce.

Therefore, I would very much appreciate your comments on installing 2.0 engine to the 1.6 Spider at this stage of planning. Also, would be great to know the cwp ratios. The Spider will purely be a fast road tourer car.

Kind regards,
Kerem

·
Administrator
16,776 Posts
Welcome to the AlfaBB. I can't help with your questions because here in the USA we only got the 2L versions. Hopefully some of European members will have the info you seek. My guess is that it is not an uncommon swap.

Please post often and keep us updated on the progress of these projects. And post some pictures - we like pictures. Photos of the projects - before/during/after - and also the scenery of your country. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Kerem, Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your nice introduction and well written inquiry. It sounds like your spider owner wants to go up in engine size and increase the power of the larger engine 25-30 hp. Would you be going from about 115 hp up to 155 hp? While I have always found Alfa differentials and transmissions to be sturdy and relatively trouble free; you guys may be playing an expensive game of find the weakest link.

My 1600 spider has a freshly built engine with everything new -pistons, liners, hotter cams, valves, etc. and it is very satisfactory. Other than changing the nose seal on the differential and using Redline (75W90); I haven't thought about it. I am not familiar with the differential in an '85 -1600 spider (mine is a '66) but there may be advantages to using a two liter differential, if the one in the '85 is not a limited slip, ie. limited slip, gear ratios, better brakes(?).

Hopefully someone with experience doing just what your customer wants to do will 'speak' up. As for you, good luck with your search. I would recommend something pre 1974, if possible -like a GTV or a spider.

ALFA =Always Looking For Another
Mark

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Hi there, welcome, lots of restorers here and several engine people. I would split out your questions into the appropriate forums, you will get way more feedback that way. Enjoy your journey.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear Eric,
Dear Brian,
Dear Mark,
Dear Vintagemilano,

Many thanks for your welcome messages and replies to my topic !!! I am happy to be a member here and I am sure I will enjoy reading, learning and also sharing photos from our ongoing projects, workshop and also hopefully some summer photos from the country when this CVirus is over.

Brief update regarding my topic question; I have found out that the 2.0 diff is not only bigger outside ( housing ) but it also has a bigger CWP. Normally, we will think that it should be a stronger unit. But then, I tried to search an OE cwp and diff/axle parts ( as a spare part ) from various sources which revealed an information that; for example as one of the reputable parts supplier in Europe ( oe and uprated motorsport items ) Alfaholics has apparently listed different ratio CWPs only for the “ small “ diff as far as I understand. Meaning that they don’t have a CWP for large 2.0 diffs. However, the small diff version cwp’s they sell is custom made with improved tooth angles which is suppose to improve the strength. This is clearly understandable. However, it seems that if we still like to change our Spider’s 1.6 small diff to a larger unit then we have to first source a complete 2.0 axle/diff then rebuilt with a desired cwp ratio etc.
So, I guess we will have to keep the 1.6 axle and may be use a stronger small cwp from Alfaholics or from elsewhere ( I couldn’t find a similar item from other known suppliers ) and trust on the rest of the axle.
Our target for the 2.0 engine upgrade will be up to max.150-155 bhp levels hopefully without much disturbing the standard car’s street drivability. I believe this levels can be achieved with the correct configuration of parts without over stressing the engine.

Kind regards
Kerem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim Kartalamakis is the guy to talk to about improving the performance of an engine. He is located in Greece and can be found through Facebook:

Hi Brian,
I have noticed that I have Jim’s book in my library. I might have bought that book when my GT Veloce friend bought the car ( quite a long time ago ) and the bodyshell project started. After a very long while he wanted to restart the project and gave us a go.
Good that I already have the book on the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts