Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. While not at all new to restoring cars, I am new to restoring Alfa’s. I just managed to snag a 67 duetto from a friend who had it stored in a semi trailer for over 20 years. I still don’t know whether I found a decent project or a nightmare. One curious things is that it has a 1300 swapped into it. While 2liters are available around my neighbourhood, 1600’s would be impossible to find. So at the moment I am contemplating whether I throw in a 1400 bore kit, rebuild the 1300 stock (it’s a dual Weber motor btw) or throw in a 2L

more to come once I dig the car out

·
Super Moderator
12,076 Posts
Welcome to the BB! Reminds me a bit of my Duetto when I first got it 40 or so years ago - in what could be politely be called the "project" state.

Mine came with no engine, so I went the 2 liter route and never regretted it. You'll never get the torque out of a 1.3L that the 2L delivers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like the 1300 was not original to this Alfa.
Anyway, the 2.0 is a good motor but requires adaptors to fit. The 1400 upgrade to your 1300 would work pretty good. But if it were my choice, I'd go with a 1750. No adaptors, very good power and it looks right.

·
Richard Jemison
8,200 Posts
If it has a 2 spoke steering wheel it is a "Jr" which came with the mouse motor.

A 2 liter is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
This is 1600 Duetto. Noticable items are the teardrop side marker behind the front wheels, operable vent windows and side view mirror mounted to the front fender.
Use a 1750 or a 2L, if you can't locate a 1600.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it has a 2 spoke steering wheel it is a "Jr" which came with the mouse motor.

A 2 liter is the way to go.
Richard, your duetto racer with the flared fenders is stunning. I am actually considering adding the same flares to this project eventually. This one came with a 1600 originally but someone stole then engine out of it and left the 1300 behind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts