Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I’ve been lurking for a few months and want to introduce myself.

I recently purchased a 1964 Giulia Spider Veloce from an AlfaBB member (thanks Mark for a great transaction). He restored it about 6 years ago with Mike Besic’s help and kept it in great shape. Since taking delivery, I’ve had Tom Sahines freshen a few items and dial it in for me. This is my first Alfa, which sits alongside my British Racing Green/Biscuit 1962 Jaguar E-type OTS. Prior vintage fun cars include an Austin-Healy Bugeye Sprite and a couple BMW 2002s.

Attached are a few pics. I'd be grateful if someone could rotate the engine shot, as I can't figure out how to.

Its a lot of fun to experience the difference in driving dynamics. The Jag has lots of torque even at low revs, so not a lot of shifting is needed, which is good because the Moss gearbox is slow. As you guys already know, the revs need to be kept up and the transmission is great on the Alfa, which makes for a very involving driving experience.

Many thanks to all who have shared their knowledge on this forum, as it helped me learn a lot about what to look for. Thanks in particular also to Patrick Hung and Terry Rushbrook for answering my questions as I was assessing the car, and to Jim Neill for providing soft copies of owner’s manuals after I joined AROC

I look forward to learning more about our cars and hope to meet local members on drives. Best wishes for the holidays to all!

Regards,
S.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Wow! Beautiful car! I love the grey/red combo!

·
Super Moderator
11,559 Posts
That's a NICE CAR! I know all your helpers personally, so I also know the quality of the car.
You are a LUCKY owner! I've had my '65 for 50 years this month. It ages much better than I do and I never grow tired of it or keeping it as new.

·
Super Moderator
11,559 Posts
Thanks Patrick!
Happy Holidays!
Best, Gordon
(off topic)

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome (and thanks uptheorg for the pic), and Gordon you are spot on in terms of my good fortune in finding the car with its provenance and being able to leverage the knowledge of so many experts. I've been very impressed with the willingness of the Alfa people I've met to share information & tips on maintenance. While I've always admired the Giuietta/Giulias, it was their infectious enthusiasm that got me to finally give them a try.

I went for a drive along the Pacific coast today, about 75 miles round trip. It was sunny but a little chilly with the top down. I couldn't bear to pull over, I wanted to just keep going and going, so I didn't stop to take pics. The sounds, the smells, the driving dynamics when cornering, accelerating and braking - just incredible!

Happy new year to all.

S.

·
Super Moderator
11,559 Posts
They do NOT feel like they can possibly be as old as they are. These cars communicate with drivers. and are always a joy. Even when you are fixing something. Alfa sure got a lot of things very right with the Giulietta's and Giulias. They do not disappoint.

·
Premium Member
21,690 Posts
Martin Swig's [kids'] anti-football rally is coming up New Year's Day, starts at Poggio in Sausalito. Bring the Spider! I'll bring my Veloce if weather is good.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
They do NOT feel like they can possibly be as old as they are. These cars communicate with drivers. and are always a joy. Even when you are fixing something. Alfa sure got a lot of things very right with the Giulietta's and Giulias. They do not disappoint.
Well said, Gordon. How well do you think Alfa did with the later (105 and later) cars?

·
Super Moderator
11,559 Posts
They were super as far as chassis, 'till they got heavy with 'merican type accessories, power steering, air conditioning, power windows and mirrors and so on. Then they needed TORQUE to launch them and make them go. This was the lower speed higher torque 2L Alfa period.
I personally like them all through the 1750's. The 2L cars do not feel rev ready or nimble to ME.
That is only MY opinion as many prefer the 2L cars. Alfa made enough of all of them to keep us happy.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
If I could find out the chassis number and engine number to up date the Veloce register..*hint hint* Grey and red is a beautiful combination and your car shows it well. :)

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Nice to know the car has a real home... so many sales go into a "lost file" never to resurface. Congratulations on your car and to Mark on the sale.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I saw this Spider just after Mark completed the restoration, at the AROC convention in Chicago a "few" years ago. A really strong motor, and a great car in all ways. You probably know that he won his class in the concours at that convention.
Jim

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Martin Swig's [kids'] anti-football rally is coming up New Year's Day, starts at Poggio in Sausalito. Bring the Spider! I'll bring my Veloce if weather is good.

Andrew
Hope to see you there - not sure what time my NYE guests will leave ...

If I could find out the chassis number and engine number to up date the Veloce register..*hint hint* Grey and red is a beautiful combination and your car shows it well. :)
Nice to know the car has a real home... so many sales go into a "lost file" never to resurface. Congratulations on your car and to Mark on the sale.
I saw this Spider just after Mark completed the restoration, at the AROC convention in Chicago a "few" years ago. A really strong motor, and a great car in all ways. You probably know that he won his class in the concours at that convention.
Jim
Thanks guys. Being aware of some of the show history definitely was a big plus as I was shopping. I intend to be a good steward of the car, but don't intend to make it a trailer queen, so the mild patina the car has developed since the show circuit is fine for me. Hopefully I won't be 2x upside down on costs like I was with my Bugeye Sprite on which I did a rolling rebuild! ;)

The chassis is 390149 and the engine is AR00121.01200. Below are a couple pics, sorry the chassis number isn't clearer, and I'm waiting for a few more clamps for some hoses. I just noticed that the register has a different engine listed, and the scans of Fusi's chart posted at the following link show a different engine range? http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-history/27900-scans-fusis-production-numbers-tutte-le-vetture-dal-1910-a.html

BTW, besides the owners and shop/technical manuals, what are good books to get for info about my car besides Fusi and Wilson's 750/101 Giulietta/Guilia book?

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts