Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought my first Alfa a couple of weeks ago.
As the title of the thread mentions, its a Stepnose GT Junior veloce.
It needs plenty of work, and this is my first project car, so you'll probably see rather a lot of me.

It aparently started life as a 1500, but someware along the way its ended up with a 2L motor in the engine bay. (Not that I'm complaining. :D)
The guys that did that though didn't change the final drive ratio, so I tend to run out of gears on the highway.

Any suggestions as to what I should get? I'm not quite sure what the current ratio is, but I have heard there is are limited slip diffs out there.

I also had the idea to wrap up the exaust manifold with some of that insulation cloth. Is this a good idea, or would I just be wasting my time?

And finally although I'll keep the origional wheels, I was wondering if you guys knew of any decient makes of alloy wheels in a old school style?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Congratulations Jeff,

Your current differential ratio is probably 4.56:1. If you want to "relax" it a bit, you could put in a limited slip unit from an 80's spider (they had 4.1:1 ratio with limited slip).

There are many threads showing different wheel options. GTA replicas and panasports are always popular and look vintage.

If you have a stock cast iron exhaust manifold, there is really no need to wrap it. It dissipates relatively little heat.

A couple of things... your car probably isn't a "junior veloce" as I’m pretty sure Alfa never made such combo. It is likely a ’66 sprint GT that came with a 1600 (they were never offered with 1500s). You can find out exactly what it is by submitting information to the Alfa Archive.

Great car! Have fun!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Geoff,

Sounds like a great project, you'll have a lot of fun with it and hate it at the same time.

There's a thread in this section of the BB called something like "What wheels on your car" and it has tons of photos and information. There's also a restoration section with heaps of information on body work and rust repair.

The search function will be your best friend but if you don't get an answer you want try it again with a slightly different word. It's at the very top green menu bar, third from the right. You can spend days or weeks just reading.

Oh, and the later Berlina sedans also have a LSD fitted, I've got one of those in my 1750 GTV and its a 4.3:1 ratio. (Seller didn't know what it was so I got it cheap.) But if you have the 2000 engine you might already have one fitted. I found the difference in looks by doing a search on here so even though the seller said it wasn't LSD I knew it was.

There's a company in America that sells "Rota" wheels on eBay for a good price and they're a copy of panasports. They don't come up all the time so keep an eye out. Might be worth a look.

Enjoy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts