Alfa Romeo Forums banner

New member - looking for used vehicle sources

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  axlejor 
#1 ·
Hello. My name is Matt and I am a new member on the site.
I have always been a VW guy, but started to get interested in Alfas when I began working at a prominent car restoration shop.
I am interested in sources where used Alfas might be purchased. I do not have much money so "project cars" are my main interest.
Most likely a Spider, Giulia TI, or Berlina are what I am interested.
Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Lots of projects on facebook, ebay, Hemmings. If you see anything on Beverly Hills Car Club, it is probably way overpriced. They buy projects and mark them up.

Be very wary of anyone with very few posts offering to sell you anything. They are probably scammers.

#5 ·
Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting your location in your profile. That makes a big difference in success in finding Alfas!
I grew up in southeast PA and know that there is an active Alfa scene. Probably your best bet in finding, evaluating and supporting a project alfa is connect with the people there (plus they are a lot of fun).

Here is a link to the Delaware Valley region of AROC. Looks like they are planning to visit the Simeon this weekend (too bad I am in Nebraska) so might be an opportunity to connect and see great cars!

I used to troll E-Bay and Craigslist, but those sources seem to have dried up and moved to FaceBook Marketplace. I'm not searching for projects right now - too many in the barn already. Must...control...myself.....

You will find a couple general truths:
  • Once you have one, you will end up with another and then five and then.....
  • The community is really great. Both here on the BB and in person
  • We are all really tight. Yes there are a few Alfa guys who will spend some money, but most of us are looking for a good deal (cheap).
Welcome aboard this crazy ride!

#6 ·
Hello. My name is Matt and I am a new member on the site.
I have always been a VW guy, but started to get interested in Alfas when I began working at a prominent car restoration shop.
I am interested in sources where used Alfas might be purchased. I do not have much money so "project cars" are my main interest.
Most likely a Spider, Giulia TI, or Berlina are what I am interested.
Thanks in advance.
An extremely dramatic survival game, vampire survivors possesses beautiful graphics that attract many players every day.
Hi Matt, welcome to the site! When purchasing a project car, it's important to thoroughly inspect the vehicle before making a purchase and to have a trusted mechanic look over the car if possible. Additionally, it's important to do your research and understand the costs associated with restoring a classic car, as well as the value of the specific model you are interested in to ensure you are getting a fair deal.

#7 ·
Hello Matt,

Berlinas are great and you might be able to find one on the cheap side.

I am not sure what the emissions laws are in your area, but from my own experience be wary of SMOG era SPICA spiders (1976-1981) that are cheap. They can be a challenge to pass emission tests, at least in California. Again, just my experience especially on a limited budget. Bosch spiders will likely be the best bang for the buck (1982 on).

Good luck!

Alex

#8 ·
Alex - Bosh Spiders are getting expensive. I've been keeping my eye on them - because they were my first love. What once was a $4000 driver quality is now $7-10K. Nicer ones are mid to upper teens for an asking price. Project cars are now pushing the $4K range. There are still deals out there though.

I picked up a chrome bumper spider project this fall for a little under $3K. A lot of Bondo, S4 taillights grafted on (???), engine "runs", Spanish Weber conversion and trans stuck in second. Seemed like a lot of money for a pile of parts in the shape of a car, but I kinda felt sorry for it. At least the structure and steering box seem decent.

#9 ·
You didn't mention your budget, but unless you're great at welding I would steer clear of super rusty cars. Rockers and floors are usually the worst areas, but depending on the model the trunk floor can be susceptible as well.

There's a rusty Berlina in NH for $6900 on FB and probably still CL. Non-runner and it has been for sale for a long time. You can see daylight through the rockers.
Spider projects can be picked up for a few hundred dollars on up depending on year and condition.
There have been two smash faced Giulia sedans sold in the $5K-$10K range recently.
Big project here: (178) 1971 Spider, Donor or Big Project | Alfa Romeo Forums (alfabb.com) Buying this also would go a long way towards completion: Copart USA - Leader in Online Salvage & Insurance Auto Auctions

#10 ·
Wow.
Thank you for all the responses.
To further clarify some points.
My budget is small as in 5K or less small. I realize that this makes it hard, and that I will end up with a project car for this amount. Even though I would prefer to buy a road ready car, I work as a restoration technician by trade so I possess the skills and access to equipment that a project car would require. Plus, I have a forum of experts at my disposal...

It may take me some time to find the right car. Until then I will lurk, and learn on the site here.

Thank you again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.