Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st of all thanks in advance for any and all advice. im looking to get a spider and would like an opinion about one before i go look at a local one. the guy has no price listed and just wants an offer. i of course want the best deal i can get but dont want to make a rude low ball offer either. just wondering based on the ad what may be a reasonable price based on conditions listed and any special questions i should ask and things i should look for. i have revived a 75 fiat spider in the past and currently a 80 mgb, so mechanical and electrical issues dont scare me in the least. so any comments would be so appreciated so i can join the alfa club.

1984 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Considering it's problems, it's not worth a lot. Not at all. My rule of thumb is if you can't drive it, it's probably not worth more than a $1000. I just bought one just a little while ago that was wrecked in the front but ran and drove for $500. Since he is taking offers, don't be bashful about the low ball. Up it until he quits looking offended and stop before you feel uncomfortable.

Consider this: From his ad, this one needs a lot$ of help$.

And welcome to the BB. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
If you need a "high paying job" to own that how on Earth are you gonna eat?

·
Administrator
17,965 Posts
That car does look a bit tired. I bought a rust-free but non-running '84 Spider for $1000 but that included ~ $500 in new/not-yet-installed parts & a spare engine.

Two suggestions - 1) contact a local Alfa club and seek assistance in checking out that car & leads on cars for sale (some Alfa owners have been known to actually sell a car on a rare occasion) and B) price what a 'perfect' Series 3 Spider ('82-'89) might sell for then subtract from that figure what it'd cost to make any particular car its equal. Say a perfect spider would sell for $10,000 then subtract a paint job ($3000-$5000), rebuilt engine ($2000), rebuilt transmission ($1000), complete brake job ($500), new tires ($500), new interior ($1000) etc, etc and you'll see why that car might be worth, well, not very much.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My silver spider looks exactly like that one with all of the cosmetic problems that one has, and mine sat for year. But, and this is a big BUTT, my spider runs great and has no problems mechanically. That one is probably worth 500-1000 but I doubt he'll sell it for that. I got mine free and already put 600 in the interior and heater fan and speedometer, and changing all of the fluids and getting it smogged and registered. If he'll sell it for that then you will be in good condition. If he wont, dont touch it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the quick replies...spoke with owner and he tells me that the car was running fine just 2 months ago when the electrical issue surfaced...said with key switch in run position all is fine but when rotated to start he hears a click and all the dash lights go off so sounds like a starter or solenoid issue..he also tells me he has know knowledge of electricity or electronics unlike myself...certified electronics tech and industrial engineering tech...he says he tried to push it into garage and cant which is why he thinks brakes are locked up...i am going to go look at it next week regardless and see what i think. also got out of him if he cant get about $1800 he would rather keep it and get it fixed since it has been his daily driver until it crapped out. thanks again everyone. i will get one eventually and become a regular here.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I wouldn't do it for $1800. But that's me. Tell us, does the electrical system wake back up once you return the key to run, from start? Or is it dead and stays dead a while once it's hit the start position?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Do a search on the BB for the following thread:

Embellishments Used when Selling an Alfa

You'll get a good idea what people say about their car and what it really means. It's also pretty funny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts