Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I’ve recently been gifted my grandfathers old Alfa Romeo Milano. The car has always been one of my favorites of his car and when I was younger he gave it to me. I’m finally getting the car but it does need some work!
Any information on where to even start with this car is what I’m looking for! My goal is to keep this car in my family and turn it into my project car. My goal isn’t to have it as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Milanos are the most under rated Alfas. They are fun to drive and are quite practical. You should spend some time reading threads in the Milano forum, particularly about timing belts which can make a mess when they jump teeth or fail, and fuel hoses which have caused a few under hood fires when they have cracked and split.
The basic silver and gold versions are less complex than Platinums and Verde's but Verde's are the most fun if the brakes are working!

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
Hello 88,

Welcome to the AlfaBB.

Alfas were made to be driven, and they were made to be worked on. They can be very reliable transportation, but do not reward deferred, careless, or low-budget maintenance.

I agree that the Milano is a wonderful car. Great engine, rear wheel drive, superb handling, and comfortable.

First - where are you located? Most of us put this information in our basic profile so it appears with every post. A fellow posted about his new, but terribly used, Spider a few months ago, looking for help. Once I found out where he was, I pointed out that I was about 1 mile from his house. About two months later, he was driving the car.

Second, please post lots of pictures. As I recall, you'll need to have made 10 total posts to the BB before the system will let you do this, but perhaps you can contact an administrator and get that limitation removed.

I note you don't intend to use it as a daily driver, but I'd like to nudge that thinking. No car, and particularly Alfas, like to sit idle. Plus, if you view it as not really being available for use, you won't put the time and money into it to make it reliable and fun. I have found that the cheapest way to live with an Alfa is to jump in hard and fast, spend the money it needs to be reliable right up front, and put it into service. Then, when you walk out the door you just might use it, and in so doing it becomes happier, you continue tweaking the cosmetics and tiny behavioral issues, and after a while it's something you look forward to. I picked up a 1977 Spider a few months ago for $3k. It had been idle for most of 20 years, but was a one-owner car and cosmetically pretty impressive. After the transport costs and some high-intensity work in it, I've got between $5,500 and $6,000 in it, and I consider it ready to go on a moment's notice. Perfect? Far from it. But certainly drivable and reliable.

So, welcome, and join in on the fun. Whatever you do, please don't leave a one-owner, previously loved Milano sitting in the driveway, quietly whimpering for being ignored.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts