Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 87 Alfa Spider stored in my warehouse for the past 10 years. I bought it for $500 USD and it had obviously had some sort of catastrophic wiring failure judging by the melted mangle of wiring near the fuel tank.

Over the years, I basically taken everything out of the interior, cataloged it, and stored it in the warehouse. I had the engine pretty much rebuilt by a retired Alfa mechanic and it did run at the time. But, I let someone talk me into replacing the old Bosch fuel injection system with a Perfect Power ECU. I have purchased several body panels from IAP to replace those that have rusted beyond repair like the rear upper and lower panels were the tail light go.

So, now I want to completely restore the frame and body. But, I want to replace the majority of the car's wiring, fusebox, etc. with an aftermarket kit.

I'm ready to pull out the engine so I can put it on a stand, clean it up and get it properly wired with the Perfect Power ECU.

Has anyone on the board done a resto/mod project like this where the wiring and ECU has been completely replaced? Any tips, hints or tricks would be appreciated.

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Push hard and live
11,337 Posts
Complete wiring looms are available from a variety of sources. IAP no longer exists, but has been absorbed by Centerline Alfa, who may be able to help you. You can also check overseas sources, such as Classic Alfa in the UK, and OKP in Germany. There are many, many more, and don't be afraid of ordering from the Euro sources. Their service and product quality is generally excellent, with the freight costs surprisingly low, and the currency exchange rate very much in our favor at the moment.

However...

I doubt anyone has a wiring loom that contemplates an aftermarket fuel injection system. The available looms will certainly be intended to replace the original. You are probably better off putting in a new, original-type loom, then modifying it to suit your requirements.

I'm not familiar with "Perfect Power". Is that just an aftermarket ECU that is intended to mate up to the existing sensors and injectors? If so, the original style wiring should be good.

What island in the VI?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I spent years living on St Croix, not a very friendly car island and the tourists that forget to drive on the left are always fun (the rentals have left hand steering that really confuses matters).
I knew a rich guy there with a new Porsche and a Lotus that claimed his cars would do 160 mph. My reply was "not on this island they won't."
Which island you on?

·
Push hard and live
11,337 Posts
My dad lived on Nevis for 30 yrs, and my (now deceased) wife had a nice property there as well. I finally got unintangled of ownership there. Loved the island as it was, but much less as it has become.

Did you ever know a Mary Boone on St. Croix?

Good luck with the project. Every car I've known in the islands quickly returned its atoms back to the cosmos. I'm quite surprised there is anything recognizable left of an Alfa.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm located on St. Croix! Thank you all for responding. I'm pretty much alone here as the one of the only two Alfa owners. However, I have a pretty extensive indoor facility, mostly air conditioned, that houses my commercial printing company and has a neat little garage in the back. I have to admit that I've not tackled something like this before but bought the car thinking it would be reasonably easy and fun to work with. And, who wouldn't want to cruise the island with a cool little red sports car! So far, I've found it to be pretty basic as far as cars go these days.

I've been reading a lot about aftermarket ECU and fuel injection so I'm pretty certain I can wire a harness. The Perfect Power ECU is a South African 3w dot perfectpower dot com product that I came across 5 years ago and bought on a whim. Its like a Megasquirt system only more way expensive at the time I bought it. I've been in touch with them over the past few days and they respond quickly to technical inquiries.

I'm sure I will need plenty of advise and have lots of questions. I'm really grateful that there are others out there who have gone down these restoration roads before.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Seems everyone has a connection to the Virgin Islands. My great grandfather and many generations before were from St Croix, until he got shipwrecked in Australia! Actually he kept sailing for another 40 years after than. His background was actually Carib Indian the original natives to the island. I think the Spaniards made short work of them though...

Once you get up to that 10 initial post quota we would all love to see photos of your car on location!

Welcome to the BB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts