Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have actually been a member for almost a year and have posted a few times, but never officially introduced myself.
My name is Dave and in June of 2019 my wife and I purchased the blue 1968 RHD Giulia Super which Dorian Valenzuela (old friend) had for sale. We performed some relatively minor service on the car and I have been driving weekly, since.
My wife and I showed it at the Concorso Italian last August and talked with some great people. The car ran flawlessly, round trip from LA.
It is the first Alfa I have owned, but I’ve wanted a Giulia sedan since my childhood. My father’s old friend, the late John Dawson, used to drive me around in his Super, Aunt Rose (he said it was named after my mother, Rose), and showed me his other cars, when I was young. His Super was one of the many cars which started my automotive passion.
I looked for the right sedan, for years, before my current car came around. It shares garage space with my long term Lotus Seven project, a few old Vespa scooters, and an Aprilia motorcycle.
Best regards,
Dave

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Welcome to the forum and please post photos.

Looking forward to hearing about your ownership with the car!

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
My father’s old friend, the late John Dawson, used to drive me around in his Super,
I think I remember John Dawson. Didn't he live in the Bay Area in the 80's and moved to the foothills sometime in the late 80's / early 90's. As I recall, he had a name for his Super - was on a vanity plate. Or he had a rubber chicken tied to the bumper. There was something humorous about it.

The person I'm remembering was the president of the ARA when I first joined as well as quite the character. Sad to hear that he is no longer with us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely, the same John Dawson. He was quite a character. His Giulia Super was “Aunt Rose,” and the plate read SAWSEAR or something similar. I remember him telling me that the pink pig painted on side and snout on the nose badge was because “they were used as police cars in Italy.” Anyway, he and my father had been good friends since they met some time in the 1960’s and our families would visit together at least every few years. Good memories. I last spoke with him in the 2011 timeframe.
All of that being said, his Super and general love for the Alfa marque convinced me at a young age to own one, when the right car came along. I will drive it to work, tomorrow.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
Definitely, the same John Dawson. He was quite a character. His Giulia Super was “Aunt Rose,” and the plate read SAWSEAR or something similar. I remember him telling me that the pink pig painted on side and snout on the nose badge was because “they were used as police cars in Italy.”
Yup, that was it: a pig snout. Wow, I hadn't thought about John Dawson in years - thanks for jogging my old memory banks!

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Hi Dave,
I'm pretty sure I met you and your Super at the Italian car day at Deus ex Machina shortly before lockdown. It's Celeste Blue, right? Beautiful car. Yes, please post pics for us to enjoy. And I'm in LA with a 71 Giulia 1300 Super, so I might hit you up for info on local Alfa resources, if that's OK. Welcome aboard!
Logan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Dave,
I'm pretty sure I met you and your Super at the Italian car day at Deus ex Machina shortly before lockdown. It's Celeste Blue, right? Beautiful car. Yes, please post pics for us to enjoy. And I'm in LA with a 71 Giulia 1300 Super, so I might hit you up for info on local Alfa resources, if that's OK. Welcome aboard!
Logan
Hi Logan,
That was me and my car, at Deus. I think I remember talking with you. We’re you the man who brought his wife over to see my car? I’ll post some pictures up later in the week.
Feel free and contact me anytime, for local Alfa resources. My wife and I live a few minutes from Deus, so it was an easy drive over to show the car.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey Dave, welcome - I'm in OC. Met Dorian a couple times looking at a car of his. Very nice guy. You need to post some photos and if you want to do some canyon drives, let me know. I have a loose collection of LA/OC guys.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Hi Dave, yes, that was me with my wife (light blue is her favorite car color). I live in Santa Monica, so when things normalize it'd be great to get together, and you can see my Super. Not as nice, but still a Super.
Logan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts