Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

Question below, intro here :) This past fall, we lost our 1980 FIAT Spider that I'd labored over for years to bring back to her glory (which she reached). Long/short guy pulled out of a bar w/o looking and I needed about 3 more feet that I didn't have. Totaled :( . She was my first toy car, and first I ever "worked" on (timing belt, heater core, brakes, fluids, cooling system etc). I loved working on her and we loved driving her, especially with the club tours etc.

I've always wanted the Alfa, we bought the FIAT with a chunk of a tax return one year...searching CL for "manual, convertible, $4,000" didn't really bring up a lot (any) Alfa's at the time :). Looking to grab an Alfa, and found one...

My QUESTION is this... What does this community say a good/fair deal is (not stealing it, not getting screwed)?
Car details:
1991 Base Spider
Mileage under 50K
Body/interior 8/10+
Everything 100% with exception of airbag light on

Oh, nice to meet ya's, and TIA!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,511 Posts
Low mile S4 like that, zero rust, and nice condition I'd say at least $15K these days. Hagerty says $15K good to $21K excellent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't know how trustworthy the hagerty value was...They say a good condition fiat spider is $12,500, but I know they can be had all day long for 8K...

As for "rust free" I'm looking at a base model, and spoke with the seller. He says the rear drivers tail light was leaking, and subsequently caulked by his dad "before it rusted anything" and that there are a couple minor bubbles in the rocker behind the passenger front wheel.

Above said, would an 8K offer be rude?

·
Administrator
17,020 Posts
The later Spiders have much better rustproofing. Bubbling paint might mean rust from the inside out. The drains for the conv top's rear gutter lead into the space in front of the rear wheels. There are drain slots in the bottom of the rockers - if those slots get clogged then water & mud can sit inside the rocker.

They do require premium gas.

The airbag light might be as simple as connectors at the sensors needing to be cleaned & made secure. Make sure all the gauges work and other electrical items function.

$8K sounds like a good deal. Look at some of the sales at BAT - probably a better idea of real selling prices.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,511 Posts
If it's got rust in the rockers it's not 8/10+, IMO. Airbag light is an easy fix and not worth worrying about, rust is not.

I'm not sure what to tell you without many more details on the condition. Were I selling my '91 these days I'd probably ask $10-12K: it's completely rust free, in nice condition, but a lot more miles than 50K. It all comes down to condition.

·
Super Moderator
10,602 Posts
It all comes down to condition.
And the seller's motivation. I wouldn't worry too much about insulting the seller with a low offer; if they aren't open to offers they shouldn't be trying to sell a used car. Present your offer politely, expressing your concerns about the bubbling rockers and airbag light (yea, you and I know that light is minor, but sometime playing dumb is the smart thing to do). He/she may have had no offers yet, be ready to clear out the garage, going through a divorce, etc. OR he/she may have checked Hagerty, feel that their baby is in excellent condition, aren't in any hurry and are holding out for $21K. Ya just never know until you ask.

What we feel the car is worth is immaterial - it's the seller's opinions that matter.

mikespider said:
He says the rear drivers tail light was leaking, and subsequently caulked by his dad "before it rusted anything"
Caulked ??? Like with a caulking gun? Wow, that's a new one. I'd inspect that area of the trunk and underside for rust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone...Yes, I'm definitely going to check the caulking thoroughly lol. Regarding motivation, he claims his dad released it out of his collection to give his son as a first car. He want's to sell it and pick up something more modern. I've got an 06 GTI with 100k on the clock I bought for my ungrateful son...thinking of working a trade.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
car sounds good except for the bubbles on the rocker at the back.....those bubbles I bet will turn out to be a hole, could be dime size or dinner plate size;) Until you dig you do not know.
take out the spare wheel and check the well for rust.
If it has rust in the well (and the rocker bubbling) I'd leave it, because that means rust has got ahold of it in other places.
Very difficult to check the floors on these later spiders, because you cannot get under the one-piece formed carpet w/o ripping out the interior....and that is a lot of work.
Any water getting into the car inevitibly settles in the floor pans and there is no way out, you can't lift the carpet and just dry things off.

So car needs to go on a lift to inspect floors and inner rockers, jacking points, engine/trans/axle leaks etc.
Or take a decent floor jack and axle stands with you.
If the underneath looks clean it's very likely a cared for car....if it is all rusty walk away.

Wouldn't let the 50 k miles influence you either, I'd prefer 100k miles and rust free
Caulking sounds an odd fix; there is a reason the rear lamp has leaked, and there is a correct way to repair such things.
The reason might be a rear end ding and a poor bodywork fix.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
What everything else said. Also I recommend a PPI by an experienced Alfa mechanic or expert. The Alfa Spider is very similar to a Fiat Spider. The major difference is in the number still available for sale. Generally they were less likely to be someone's dd when new.

It is buyer's market. Buy the best you can afford.

If you tell us where you are, we can help you identify experts near you.

John

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts