Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Agree with Garwood. Isle of Man or maybe Sicilian.
Only thing worse would be 22" spinners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think I actually found them! None I saw in the first couple of searches had the black plastic in the center of the wheel (where the unfortunate sticker is placed).

I believe they are Borbet! I have no information on them otherwise, but will have to check under the cover later to confirm. Perhaps they will prove to be a good sell towards a more appropriate set for this car.

·
Super Moderator
10,932 Posts
mystery tri-spoke wheels.
Maybe the guy just couldn't afford any more spokes. :D

they are not normal size (16” rims, and quite a bit wider) so I would think the strain on a stock suspension could wear prematurely.
You're on the right track. Wide wheels tend to put more strain on the steering, making it hard to turn the wheel at parking speeds. That can be a fatal problem in cars with Burman steering boxes, which will crack when stressed too much (your '85 is probably late enough to have the stronger ZF box, but it would be worth checking).

Also, the 60's era Alfa suspension was designed around 14" wheels with chubby tires. Installing 16" wheels and low aspect ratio tires might have looked cool to the PO, but degrades the ride.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
could well be Borbet (that was my second guess after Ronal)....if you remove one they will be stamped on the back Borbet, Made in Germany.

when he advertises "Sad to see them go"
he really meant
"Glad to see them go"
;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think I actually found them! None I saw in the first couple of searches had the black plastic in the center of the wheel (where the unfortunate sticker is placed).
View attachment 1641277
I believe they are Borbet! I have no information on them otherwise, but will have to check under the cover later to confirm. Perhaps they will prove to be a good sell towards a more appropriate set for this car.
Still find it strange that they have matching PCD. I would have expected 4 x 100 which would match a lot more imported cars there in the US.

Hopefully they have been fitted to your car with an PCD adapter which will make them easier to sell on.

Andy S

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
Welcome! I am saying NOTHING about the wheels..... what is that on your front spoiler? Looks like calcified water stain? Rad hose or overflow tank leaking? I'm always on my phone so the pics are small.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Welcome! I am saying NOTHING about the wheels..... what is that on your front spoiler? Looks like calcified water stain? Rad hose or overflow tank leaking? I'm always on my phone so the pics are small.....
Well I may be excused, perhaps, as this photo was taken the same day I purchased the car.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
Wasn't pointing fingers, Jared! You will probably find LOTS of things that need to be tended to on your new Alfa, that is part of the charm.....

Reactions: Jared Walker

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's always amazing what previous owners have done to their perfectly innocent cars. I'm still discovering things every time I dig in to mine. Your car looks great, but your wheels belong on a rusty 80's hot hatch. They make my eyes hurt. Hope you can find a set of 5-spokes or Panasports soon!

Reactions: Jared Walker

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Your car looks great, but your wheels belong on a rusty 80's hot hatch.
Well, in fairness, so does the spoiler - but I like it!

Whatever else those wheels may be, they are most certainly "period correct".

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
I met Dustin H on Santa Monica Blvd when he was training for Marathon Man. We talked briefly.
Welcome, as Slowcreek says "the insanity" But it's fun, I hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a new owner of an Alfa (85 Spider Veloce) and my first post, why not the classic what + why wheel topic. Since I have never seen a post here or example of these on a spider in the wild, I’d like to share a previous owners design aesthetic for consideration. Feel free to comment openly as they are not my design choice, and hot takes on design choice can be funny. For your roasting pleasure: mystery tri-spoke wheels.
View attachment 1641124

To start, they are not in fact Alfa Wheels. Though claimed to be, when seen up close, an obvious flaw emerges that even the uninitiated can spot. Even if Alfa had ever designed a wheel like this, few Italians would stand for an export representing such a historic portion of Italian culture, to indicate its lineage via plastic decals. And to compound this abomination they are distinctly off center. Roast away, comment freely, or remark if they confound all prejudice as eye-candy after all. Thus far among my friends it is a mixed bag, but want to see what a room full of purists think.
I will likely replace them with a black wheel choice of some kind, satisfying my own aesthetic, so any suggestions are welcome.
Additionally they are not normal size (16” rims, and quite a bit wider) so I would think the strain on a stock suspension could wear prematurely.
Thanks for reading.
Jared
Jared, I have 4 Campinolo rims off my 1985 Spider Veloce that I would be willing to sell. Location is Memphis, TN.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Easy.
To.
Clean.
This coming from someone who's owned way too many BBS basketweave wheels.

Welcome, and congratulations on starting an instant discussion. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts