Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in love with the 105 series for many years.Currently in the BMW 2002 world.
I'm interested in some local GTV owners to advise and guide in the search for a sound good to excellant GTV.
A pic. of my 1972 2002 tii.
Thanks
Jonathan in D.C.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I've been in love with the 105 series for many years.

Well then you got good taste:cool:. What I am worried about is you affection to BMW's:(

;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
As with most vintage cars, money spent up front usually pays off down the road.
Are you looking for a two-headlight car (65-67) or a four-headlight car (69-74)?
Are you looking for an all-original car, or a "warmed over" car?

Rust is a major issue with these cars and knowing where to look for it is critical. If you're looking for one in similar shape to how your 2002 appears, it will probably cost in the high teens to low 20s, but, IMHO, worth the investment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian,
Thanks,generally looking and agree that I would like to buy the best example of the marque,within reason.
One concern I do have is the level of local resources I can draw upon for parts/service etc.
Jonathan

·
Registered
529 Posts
There are many great sources for parts (centerline, international auto parts, alfaholics, etc) and I'm sure you can find recommendations for reputable mechanics in the area.

If it's still available, there is a fantastic example of a '65 for sale in Vancouver. I believe he is asking 24K

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes,I saw that 24K car posted and it lookd great.I'm at a stage of reading,listening and learning about the brand. As mentioned I've been a closet fan for some time.As with any marque I'm not well versed in there is a learning curve.After years of old British and German cars the it's the community of owners that can make or break the ownership experience...
Jonathan

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
These cars need committed owners who are willing to invest the time and resource necessary to keep them on the road. My suggestion would be to trade (+/- $$$) your 2002 tii to someone who currently has a GTV but is unable to get/keep it running. I say trade because I am not sure of the resources that are available to you. I find it funny when someone has 7 cars but can only manage to keep one of them running at a time. They are usually looking to save a dime and like to take shortcuts but end up shelling out dollars because their short-cuts never fit the original issue, as more things break. These people should be driving another marque....or riding a bike/bus.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
The Capital Chapter meets monthly. Try this link:

http://www.alfaclubdc.com/calendar.htm#Current

There are a few local club members with GTVs. One nice thing about Alfas is that the Spiders and Sedans of the same era share the drive train, suspension, brakes etc. with the coupes. I'm up in Hagerstown, MD and do my own work but there are some excellent Alfa service centers in the D.C./Baltimore area, including DiFatta Bros. in Baltimore. Drop me a PM if you think you might be out this way or if you have specific questions. I'm just a shade tree mechanic but I've been puttering around with Alfas since '89 and will help where I can. Nice BMW, by the way.

Bill Sinclair

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill and the others..
Thanks for the advise.I hope to meet some local GTV owners soon.
Sent you a PM with my contact info. as well.
Thanks
Jonathan

·
Registered
277 Posts
For normal maintenance, I had really good experiences with Julio Matos at Milano Motors in Kensington, MD (just past the beltway off connecticut Ave) when I lived in DC. He was a tech at the old Alfa dealer, and works on lots of spiders and GTVs.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Jonathan:
Welcome aboard - you have hit the motherload of resources with this forum. I think you should keep your Tii (love that bizarre orange color) and look for a GTV in Okra (an equally bizarre mustard yellow that looks fabulous on a GTV). I think these colors epitomize the era. If nothing else it would be refreshing to not see a silver BMW and a red Alfa...

If you are up for a road trip, the Alfa nationals is coming to Detroit next month. It would be a great way to get a crash course in Alfa-itis...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good cars those 2002's

I've done a little work on the old 02 series.

Welcome here Jonathan-Paul W. speaks highly of you. Nice choice of cars by the way! I have a couple 02's as well as my 72 GTV...GTV is better than any of my 2002's-its the shoemaker's children syndrome you know.

Paul salutes you during the restoration of his 2002,

my alfa:

PS I have posted this pic too many times and I swear, I will get new pix of the alfa but its in storage...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Matt,
Thanks for the comments.Great looking GTVThe work Paul and you did on his 02/Emily is sensational.Paul has been sort of an 02 mentor to me.We will miss Paul down in the D.C. area.Still in the looking and learning phase w/ old Alfa GTV/Guilia or Berlina,and seeking local enthusiasts.
One of these days I need to see that magic shop of yours.

Jonathan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts