Discussion Starter #1
will install after i get conversion done
1-Pair-7-Inch-Round-LED-Headlights-Halo.jpg

Reactions: triz

·
Registered
1978 Alfa Spider
31 Posts
I would love to see an installed pic and any comments on how the light brightness and pattern compares. I've thought about this same conversion for my 78 Spider.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have seen quite a few of these "jeep-style" LEDs showing up at a local flea market, and was wondering how they might look. I do like the halos, and, I think they have integrated turn signals? -- if so, an added bonus.

FYI to others considering LEDs...
Despite all the usual negative criticism, I have now mounted the cheapest 7" LED headlights from Ebay (China) on two different, non-Alfa, cars. Under $30 for each pair, these cheapies are complete units, not just the bulbs.
They work excellently -- very bright, etc, doing what they are intended to do, and if they fail early, buy another set, huh..

After all, if striving for originality, LEDs destroy that paradigm regardless of cost.

Just an FYI. You don't have to spend mega bucks to get LED, and it's a cheap way (at least in terms of time spent) to decrease the load on your wiring harness without converting to relays (although I also convert to relays b/c of "mission creep" and I don't know where to stop).

·
Registered
950 Posts
I thought about doing this to my 78.
But then I can't help thinking that my Spider will
look a lot like a Jeep every time I walk up to it
from the front... Hard to get that "big eyes" look out of my mind.
I guess that it's OK if you want a different look... o_O
But then again that's just me..;)

I guess I'm not the only one after reading the other submissions .. :whistle:

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
755 Posts
I did that with my 2 Harleys. One was a cheap ebay special. The other a cheap Amazon special. plug and play and very bright compared to the old halogens. I skipped the "halo" versions. Thought they looked tacky and weird.

There are several styles being sold. Different arrangements of the LEDs. Most are probably pretty good. Pick a style that doesn't look "weird" when they are off during the day and you won't be staring at your "bug eyes"...

There are plenty of crappy designs too...so do some research on the reviews.

·
Registered
what part?
10,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some times the ' cheap ' ebay , specials . are the just off branded real stuff.. example my 39.00 fly reels are the same as the 109-139 $ fly reels here is an example, photo... . the tfo reel from the shops here cost 79.00 to149.00 tfo nxt.. the same fly reel from the manufacture cost 37.00 bought 5 of them.. one of them had the ' tfo ' instructions in the box as you see..its the same reel..lots of fly fishing companys get there stuff, from China and S,Korea.. if you see the American flag on the box,, thats ok, accoreding to the rules,, in some part,, if it is pacakaged in the USA, thay can do that
$_57.jpg
321.jpg

·
Registered
what part?
10,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
test fit.. will need to trim internal bowl to fit, and add some slots in the outer bucket to have more air flow to keep it cool,, any suggestions on the outer bucket?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Every time we modify our Spiders, they become more Chinese! :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ab-solute-ly frickin NOT. Ugh. Smash those things with a hammer and throw them in the trash where they belong....omg.

·
Registered
what part?
10,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imstalled them yesterday, in a freinds alfa spider... good beam patter high and low.. on the road,, dark road,, great distance on low beam.. wonderfull on high beam

·
Registered
what part?
10,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
tryed with my cell phone.. did not work out very well...but it was the first thing i wanted to do

·
Registered
1974 GTV with custom-built 1750 motor
11 Posts
Maybe the reduced amp load is a good thing but......
All I can picture is my Alfa looking like a Bug-Eye Sprite.o_O lol

·
Registered
950 Posts
Ab-solute-ly frickin NOT. Ugh. Smash those things with a hammer and throw them in the trash where they belong....omg.
Don't hold it back, Tell us how you really feel... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
what part?
10,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the lens really does not protude all that much..it just looks diff. from old style head lamps

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
There are lights available that use hella lenses and have a Led bulb. They have the original look but awesome lighting.

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
755 Posts
test fit.. will need to trim internal bowl to fit, and add some slots in the outer bucket to have more air flow to keep it cool,, any suggestions on the outer bucket?
I encountered the same issue with my LeBaron. The 4x6 LEDs back side was larger than standard 4x6 bulbs. Would not fit the buckets. I sent them back and just bought new halogens. Did not want to hack up the buckets and then be stuck with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts