Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the time (or took the time) to put my car back together after replacing the head gasket. The car sat in my garage for about 8-10 months in various states of idle disrepair.

I got the car completed and fired up this afternoon. When I was actually ready to take the car out for a quick test drive, I discovered that I could not engage any gears! It was as if the clutch had no affect at all, although it engaged smoothly and returned full. I checked the fluid and all looked good and no leaks were detected.

When one of my boys got home from school, I had him exercise the clutch while I looked at the slave cylinder. The cylinder appeared to move freely and again, no leaks were noted.

I tried to bump start the car and, of course, it started and I could drive the car but could not change gears. I drove around the block, popped the tranny into neutral and coasted back in the driveway.

I called my oldest son, 25 years old and although he wasn't sure why the friction plate would stay engaged, he suggested trying to shock the driveline by rocking the car in 1st gear with the clutch pedal pressed in. I recruited a few more of my son's friends and had them rock the car back and forth, but to no avail.

I decided to give it one more try, but with the tranny in 5th gear. We rocked the car and heard a 'Pop!". The clutch freed up and I was good to go. I drove the car around for a bit and the tranny and clutch worked like nothing had happened!

So, what did happen?

My car is an 84 with 71K original miles. The motor/tranny have never been separated as the car sports its original clutch. Could a leaking rear main seal coupled with sitting for an extended period of time cause the clutch disc to stick?

I'm good to go but am curious as to the root cause of the issue.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The disc can stick just from sitting with no oils involved. Pretty normal and you did one of the things to break it loose. Starting it in gear is another. Good job and now go have a beer and enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ya did Good

I'm just an Alfa rookie, but in the 5 miles I've driven Alfie under power (wont count the trailered miles!! (LOL)) I've experienced clutch pivot arm failure and failed clutch slave cylinder crises!!
In researching the AlfaBB for my symptoms, I did discover "Frozen Clutch Disease", Here's a great case history!!
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1972-1986/46112-saved-sprint-veloce-crusher-today.html
Your cure was right on!!! Congratulate yourself and I agree with Jcslocum!!!
It's drive time for you while I await the sun to come up, here in Arizona, so I can take my clutch pedal arm apart!!!
Drive ON!!
Paul
89 Spider

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I drove the car last night. The car was running great until....

...I smelled gas and dumped a half tank of gas in about a half a mile! I wasn't far from home and made it to a grocery store parking lot. I opened the hood and the engine was coated with fresh (8 month old!) gas. I cleaned up what I could but did not want to try to start the car as there was just too much gas and gas fumes to make it worth messing with.

I had to leave the car overnight and return today to take a look. I put a couple of gallons of gas in and looked around the fuel rail. The Cold start Injector hose had a small cut right at the rail barb and gas was spraying out like crazy!

The hose looked difficult to replace in the parking lot without pulling the rail. It was raining off and on and I knew I would fight the repair in the parking lot as opposed to doing the work in my garage. I ended up paying $50 to have the car flat bedded home, about 4 miles away.

After disconnecting the battery, I pulled the rail this evening. It took less than hour. I'll fix it and replace the hose tomorrow. I'm sure I'll cuss a little trying to wiggle things back in place but I know I was better off getting the car towed home.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The disc can stick just from sitting with no oils involved. Pretty normal and you did one of the things to break it loose. Starting it in gear is another. Good job and now go have a beer and enjoy the ride!!
I tried starting the car in gear a few times....first and second. I hate doing that! The car started and ran but I had no luck freeing he disc that way.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Don.....Glad you made it home safe!!! and we won't find your alfa burned out, in a pick n' pull yard !!!!
Bad luck....but great save!!!
Hope the repair goes easy!!
Paul
89 Alfa

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
Don't get discouraged. The frequency of problems will almost certainly decline as your car gets the maintenance that it needs. Even My Milano Verde was less trouble when I sold it than when I bought it. I judge the complexity of a car by the number of pages in the wiring diagram. S3 Spiders are pretty simple compared with most younger cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts