Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an email from IAP yesterday with a link to an "exciting new product" called generically but intriguingly enough a headlight wiring upgrade kit. Here's the link.

For $40 it looks like a solid deal, and plug and play is a deal sealer for me, what with my NO time to work on the car these days. Just wondering if anyone else has had a chance to examine the product and offer a recommendation or endorsement?

I had planned on building a relay system from scratch, using plans found on this site. After parts and labor, it would probably be a wash.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...
I think you're right. Says it's only for 2-light cars.

Nevermind! We are truly the bastard stepchildren of the Alfa world.
*sigh*

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
It is not difficult to wire up two relays for GTV6 Alfetta.

Summit racing sells two relay kits for about 40$,

I did my ALfetta...

·
Banned
764 Posts
chairmankaga,

I did the conversion on my GTV6. You can see the lamp connections in my recent thread to upgrade the headlite to grille connections.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...nted/184241-gtv6-headlight-adjust-screws.html

Here's the best foto of the relay position on the inner fender in front of the washer bottle. I pulled the power at the adjacent '+' junction. You can see the loom going through the firewall. These are actually fotos of the Biturbo radiator fans I installed which were a basic "plug-n-play" operation. Never had a temp problem after these even during Phoenix summers with; what Alfa called, the A/C on.

I looked at the IAP install link and these will probably work with just the addition of the 2nd headlite. This probably means just jumping off the hi beam lead to the single lamp. That's it. I'd go this route if this is the case as it can be a PITA to make the whole loom + relays.

I got a great deal off evilbay for these 4 headlights. $84 USD + shipping new including the cool blue lamps. Euro cut glass as well. I had to do a slight mod to fit the AR stock holder.

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Pretty simple to make yourself, but $40.00 is a decent price. As Brooks says above, it would not be difficult to adapt these to a 4 headlight system.

I did this to my car after having to replace the column switches...didn't want to do that again!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I installed Greg Gordon's kit on my 83 the other year back, and recommend it - it made a big difference. GV

·
Banned
764 Posts
Here's a shot of the relays and their location with their '+' connection. You'll notice the wire is not 16 ga but 12 ga.

The lighting upgrade made a huge difference. I got pushed over the edge when I hit the largest, dead armadildo laying on its side late one dark night on a country road. With the terrible stock lighting and the back of the dead armadildo blending with the asphalt, BALAPT!!! Smack dab under the middle of the lowered GTV6 at 60 mph! Blop, Blop, Blop!! Looked at the guages and the oil pressure was still good so onward home asap. The sump fins musta shredded it and he was ready for the "Road Kill Cafe" menu. It only cost me the center exhaust section which also was on my Shrek To-Do-List so this went to the front of the line as well. Fortunately, it's the cheapest of the exhaust sections.

In my BMWs, I use 130w lamps that are packaged well really mislabeled "Warning - Off Road Use Only". You can't believe everything you read.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
That's cool that IAP continues to come-out with good products that their customers could use. It shows that they're listening and responsive.

Relays like this kit on ebay are always available and come with just about everything you need. Bought mine from "paylesstellfriends" on ebay which came with 4x 30Amp relay kits for around $20.00 Where Brooks installed his is just about right. I chose the same location for power but am installing the relay/s on the sheet metal mount where the Ignition coil is located. You can mount two there easily.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
I have relays in all my Alfas, some I've wired right into the fuse box, others are behind the fuse box under the rug. I just used old wires and relays from old cars. Only way to save these switches. I've had them explode on me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts