Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you bought a new heater core and related parts recently?

If so, from whom did you buy and would you recommend?

IAP is pretty expensive compared to Vick (for example).

What I'd like to do is get new heater core, the preformed hose, ... plus new motor mounts and tranny mount and brake lines. All from one place!

I've bought stuff for my 83 Spider from IAP, Vick, Centerline. But in this case it seems maybe Vick is the best 'single source' for everything.

But I want to know whether anyone has bought a heater core from them and if it's decent.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
My guess is that the cores all come from the same source so I wouldn't hesitate buying from any of the major suppliers - domestic or abroad. I've not bought a heater core from Classic Alfa but I've always been happy with their parts. Their heater core is $108 vs $187 from IAP. They would have everything else that you need as well.

No knock on IAP or the rest but I'm amazed at how quickly CA can ship. I have ordered from IAP and CA on the same day and received the orders on the same day - usually about 3 days hence.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Have you considered taking your old heater core to a radiator shop for testing and possible rework?

Robert

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Hardly surprising since the method of construction at Alfa was to hang the heater core from the factory ceiling and then build the spider around it.

Robert

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd suggest going to silicone for your heater core lines since it's more durable and reliable than rubber. It takes a lot of disassembly to get to and work on heater boxes and hoses I really wouldn't want to do it more than once.

The Benefits of Silicone vs. Rubber Hoses | FCP Euro

I found that Alfaholics has silicone hoses to fit, yes, the moulded bendy hose is available. Actually, they have a complete heating system black silicone replacement kit, rad hoses, by-pass and heater.

Alfa Romeo Cooling System - Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts

Now that I have the interior apart on my Spider I will be tackling my heater core as well so thanks for the info on the Vicks $89.99 heater core. At that price I'll buy a brand new one and walk into a radiator shop on Dec 23 or 24 with a box of beer and I'll get mine tested out and repaired if it needs. I'll have it as a sound spare. I wonder what it will cost?

I replaced all of the hoses on my Spider using black silicone for all of the vacumn lines, radiator and bypass hoses in black silicone and cloth covered rubber for all of the rest. I got all my parts from Silicone Hose Kits.

I'm definitely going to replace my existing rubber heater core hoses with silicone at the same time. It's going to finish off the look of my engine compartment nicely. Right now having the heater hoses as the only other rubber hoses just doesn't look right to me. Pardon me, I forgot the AC hoses, but you don't see very much of them except where they attach to the receiver/dryer.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Heater Core -- Spider vs GTV

Does anyone know if the heater core for a Spider will also fit a GTV of the same model year (1974 in this case). I would like to purchase the one from Vick Auto but they could not tell me if they are cross referenced as the same part. Does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Thanks. I noted the same thing and called the folks at Vick Auto to gain some insight. They could not say for certain if the parts were the same or close enough. I was hoping someone on the BB may have tried to do this and could provide some insight. Regardless, I am in the midst of changing all the hoses so I am going to recondition the box and give everything a shakedown. While I am in there I will measure everything and compare to the Vick Auto item and let folks know what I find.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
GTV Heater Core Replacement

I completed the rebuild of my 74 GTV heater box. As it turns out the Vick Auto replacement heater core fit very well. The core was well constructed although the original had a few more rows vs the replacement (14 vs 17 I recall). Not really an issue. The core was completely unpainted so I did give it a coating of black paint for originality sake. I also went down to the local home improvement store for some closed cell foam tape, replicating what the way the original core was installed in the box. I will tell you the valve was a bit tight going over the studs welded to the core -- it did ultimately fit once I cleaned up the plastic edges on the bolt holes of the valve. I will be filling the system and checking for leaks and performance shortly. I will update once I do.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I wanted to provide a quick update regarding the heater core I installed. I had undertaken a complete renewal of the cooling system as my GTV had been idle for some 20yrs. I replaced the heater core and all hoses (along with the radiator, the water pump, etc) and flushed the entire system. I am very happy to say the system is now running very well overall and the heater core is working like a champ. I also replaced the radiator with the Vick Auto GTV version and it is also working very well. Great value for money at $200 bucks or so. No issues with the nylon bung either ( I read something in another thread but I did not have any issue). The car gets up to temp and even sitting still the temperature hovers at 175 to 180 degrees. I did install an electric fan with a simple thermo switch (also Vick Auto) and it is running like a champ. I am very pleased with the results. I would recommend to anyone that ventures down this road to be very patient and methodical as doing this job was more a matter of investing the time (and a good yoga class to get under the dashboard to install the heater box and core). Heat is working nicely and the sweet smell of coolant inside the car is no more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts