Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
Just picked up an 86' Spider Veloce today. It's a cali car it's whole life - has no rust- is in pretty good shape cosmetically and it drives pretty good- but after the ear to ear grin ride home - i have lots of questions- after lurking on this board for a while I can now chime in and plead for the wonderful advice i see given by you all. OK- i have the grinding gear thing- was doing good with my timing and double clutching (had a GTV1750 years ago), but none the less that needs attention- the dash lights don't come on when the headlights are switched on- there is some evident of oil leakage here and there -(forgive me i'm not very well sorted yet as to where and what things are yet- only had it 4 hrs and it's dark out now-) Anyway- i need a good SoCal Alfa mechanic- maybe another local Spider owner or 2 in the Los Angeles area who would be willing to hook up for coffee and take a look at this with me and drop some Spider knowledge on me about who to bring it to- and what to keep my eye on. Thanks So Much- I feel like a little kid- can't wait till the morning so i can start climbing all around this thing and getting to know her.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Congrats on your new Spider and welcome to the board. You'll find lots of friendly Alfisti to help you out up here.

Sounds like you have a pretty nice ride (I used to own an '86, now I own a 91). As for your 2nd gear crunch - learn to live with it, as most Alfa owners do. Think of it as "charm". Get some Shell Spirax gear oil in there and that'll help a little. As for oil leaks, as Pat Braden says (an Alfa guru), "Surely there are Alfa's that don't leak oil. But I've never owned one or known anyone else that did."

As for the dash lights - you might have tried this, but there's a dimmer on the bottom of the dash, just below your right knee - it's a little wheel - you might have to feel around for it. Is it turned all the way up?

You'll find that all your smaller maintenance type of things, you can do - again, lots of support and good info up on this board.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome- Thanks- yes i did find the dimmer wheel on the right side but that didn't bring up the lights- the light in the glove box also does not come on-

Yea- I kind of figured that I will be learning to live with and love alot of the idiosycracies- just like my Ducati- It's the price one pays- aint it.

i will try to post some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a great color for this car isn't it. The Black Spider. The PO put a decent paint job on it- not great but good enough for me- might be hiding a couple things but there was nothing major that i could see- just yet- the area around the spare is nice and the nooks and cranies look like really clean- I just wanted a car that i could drive while fixing up a bit- a weekend canyon car. I was surprised but the get up and go that this car has. definately sporty. Are you in Southern California?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Nice car!! :D
I love the Black Spiders too.............
You can try to sand/clean the contacts on the fuse panel, squeeze 'em together a bit and see if that fixes your dash lights.

I would change that brake fluid pretty soon also! :eek:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hi Motolust, looks great!

Did you find that Spider on eBay? It looks like one I saw on there recently.

I second what Mark says about the brake fluid- looks pitch black!

A couple of things stand out that interest me:

1) The cam cover has been repainted. It has to have been off relatively recently. Work done under there?
2) The orange sticker on the windshield- my old Spider had that sticker on the driver's side, yours is on the passenger's side. Is it something about temperature and written in Italian? My current Spider has an Alfa window but no sticker.

Looks like a great car! Do you mind if I ask what you paid? You don't have to say, of course.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Howdy, and welcome. I think that you actually have to have the headlights on, in order for the trunk, underhood, and glovebox lights to come on. I only have one of those that isn't burned out, but I can double check on my trunk light.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Dang, some of you guys have some sharp eyes. Very nice looking polished cam cover. Maybe too nice? I wouldn't worry - that's a part that should come off fairly regularly to check valve adjustment anyhow.

Noticed the brake fluid as well - perhaps it's ATE Super Blue? ;) Regardless of its appearance or type, that's something that should be changed out anyhow - unless you have records or a recent change, it's hard to know how long its been in there.

C

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
GV27 said:
Dang, some of you guys have some sharp eyes. Very nice looking polished cam cover. Maybe too nice? I wouldn't worry - that's a part that should come off fairly regularly to check valve adjustment anyhow.

Noticed the brake fluid as well - perhaps it's ATE Super Blue? ;) Regardless of its appearance or type, that's something that should be changed out anyhow - unless you have records or a recent change, it's hard to know how long its been in there.

C

The cam cover in the Spider I bought a few weeks ago is bright silver, too. The repair shop that worked on it paints cam covers whenever they remove them. That's more than likely it, considering the rest of the engine bay isn't shockingly clean (it looks fine!)

I noticed that the passenger's seat is in far worse shape than the driver's- either the previous owner had a massive wife or they swapped the seats at one point. Not a big deal, just interesting to notice. :p

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hooligan said:
The cam cover in the Spider I bought a few weeks ago is bright silver, too. The repair shop that worked on it paints cam covers whenever they remove them. That's more than likely it, considering the rest of the engine bay isn't shockingly clean (it looks fine!)

I noticed that the passenger's seat is in far worse shape than the driver's- either the previous owner had a massive wife or they swapped the seats at one point. Not a big deal, just interesting to notice. :p
Those seats look like Quadrifoglio seats. Grey with Red stiching. If they are then, it was a swap.

Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello and Welcome,
I agree Looks like a nice ride but as with the others the thing that really jumped out at me was the brake fluid. It really looks black and also the clutch fluid level -not sure if its the picture or the actual color. Have fun with the car and you are sure to find much needed valuble information right here each day!
-Ron

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The seats are black with red piping- just a bid faded- wasn't this an option on the Veloce? And yea- A nice big Ol' wifey. hilarious. I'm going to add more pics as i've gotten a chance to climb around it a bit more- look like the cam cover has been cleaned and maybe a new gasket- doesn't look polished or painted. The photos did however. But check out these new ones- and keep the info coming

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what is this - and is something missing??

Yes I got this car on Ebay- $3200. Was my first blind purchase- The seller seemed ok- After driving it a while- seemed really tight- little things wrong here and there but overall very good and very clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea fetta I thought so to- but it's actually right up to the max line- super clean fluid cant see in th photos- it looks like someone just serviced the clutch master- the hardware and rubber looks brand new.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
motolust said:
what is this - and is something missing??

Yes I got this car on Ebay- $3200. Was my first blind purchase- The seller seemed ok- After driving it a while- seemed really tight- little things wrong here and there but overall very good and very clean.
The hand throttle cable would go through the eyelet attached to the throttle linkage arm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts