Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two months ago I declared my beater GTV6 unsafe to drive after my upper A-arm rusted through. Luckily I know Glenn at HeavyMetalAlfa!

I told Glenn it was time for a nice, fixable car and he went straight to work hunting down a new rust free shell. He quickly found a worthy car, an '84 that had been parked since 1991. That means it had only seen 7 years of road use!!! The engine was torn apart, but that was no worry since the beater has a very strong engine in it. Well the car arrived at Glenn's shop about 2 weeks ago and the boys and I tore into the two cars using parts from each to make one decent car. We replaced all of the lines underneath and POR-15'ed any spot that had even the smallest amount of rust.

The new car is very unique. It was built in January of '84 and has a blue carpet and dash with tan leather recaro style seats. It seems like quite the Frankenstein car of pre and post '84 parts. The dash has zero cracks in it though since it has been off the road for so long, something that seems very rear nowadays.

One of the pics shows the old car's shock tower which looks like its a few bumps away from collapsing! (kind of hard to to see in the pic, but trust me, it's bad)

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the old car's engine bay. I was trying to get a picture of the structural rust, but the lighting and dirt combo did not make for a good picture.

And as un update, the engine is all put back together in the new car and it should be running by today/tomorrow. Should be able to take it for it's first drive this weekend hopefully!

After looking over the dismantled engine that came with the new car it seems to be all there and in good shape. Not sure why it got taken apart, but looks like I'm going to have a spare engine that I'll be building in my spare time and as money allows! Any suggestions for the build are appreciated. Head work, cams, compression, etc... what works, what isn't worth the time and money. I'll be picking up a copy of the high performance Alfa V6 book and hopefully get some ideas from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts