Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I went ahead and bought the car I've asked a million questions about. Its the '85 GTV6 near Dallas that was also discussed in the For Sale threads. Car does run very strong, I'm excited to get behind the wheel and go, but....

I took her yesterday to a local mechanic in Dallas that has a lot of experience with Alfas. Mainly some preventive maintenance like timing belt and water pump before the trip back. Unfortunately, one of the techs punctured the radiator while putting it back. They had it resoldered and pressure tested so I guess it will be OK.

Unfortunately, while test driving the car stalled out and wouldn't restart; not sure what it is but a battery is suspected since charging system tested OK earlier. Weird it would happen right after service considering I drove it 50 miles the previous night with no issues, even in the 30 degree Dallas weather.

Anyhow, I'll keep posting as I make my way towards Los Angeles by way of the I-10 mostly. Thanks everyone for your advice leading up to this...I'm sure this is only the beginning of me leaning on you guys.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The rollover/crash switch in the 84'-85' is super sensitive. A good pot hole will shut the car off. Also the main ground at the battery and at the front of the engine on the driver's side are possible suspects.

Greg,
Silicone Hose Kits

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tech says its something in the fuel system, no fuel being pumped. Seems power is flowing but maybe its a relay or the pump itself. Unfortunately, the tech is not a major Alfa guy...the main Alfa guy is coming in on Monday. So, I'll try to have a nice weekend down in Austin and make the most of it.

Guess I should be grateful it happened in Dallas and not somewhere remote in west Texas. :)

·
Administrator
17,371 Posts
Intake duct didn't come loose did it? The GTV6 has a switch in the AFM to send power to the fuel pump. If the intake duct is loose no air will be drawn in via the AFM and the fuel pump won't get switched on. It is most likely to happen while trying to start the engine if it back fires - doubly likely if one opens the throttle while cranking.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Eric and Greg...I'll have to wait for monday and see what they find.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How often do those relays fail?
Why are they called Combi relays...it controls the fuel pump and ?

The PO did mention that sometimes if its hot (outside temp and car), if he stops the car, he needs to pump the gas pedal a bit to get it going. But I think Eric mentioned not to do this otherwise the air box will blow off.

Why would it need extra gas - is there some common improvement that can help this?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
If it is the combi relay, I have a fix for roadside breakdowns.
I posted this years ago and got flamed pretty bad, but here goes.
If the fuel pump is not working when turning the car over, a hot wire to the pump will usually get it going. Under the back seat, pass side, the are 2 wires that go through the floor to the fuel pump. Remove a bit of elec tape from them, the pink wire is the pump 'hot' wire. In emergency situations, I have run a jumper wire from the battery [only 3 feet away at this point] and tapped it to the pink wire. If the pump is any good at all, that will get it going.
In my own personal GTV6's, I always bypass the fuel pump relay. I have bought many GTV6s that didn't run, with this as the culprit.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks HMA,

What Re the drawbacks to bypassing the relay...safety issues?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Well, honestly, in my opinion,,
No, there are not serious safety issues. If you disconnect both the Inertia switch[which most people do'] AND do the bypass to the fuel pump relay,, if you roll over and crash real hard, the fuel pump won't shut off automatically.
As 999 out of 1,000 GTV6isti never even come close to doing that for real, I would call that a relatively safe bet.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks HMA.
Turned out to be a wire they disconnected near the throttle. They left it resting there so that under acceleration, the throttle pushed the wire against ground and shorted it so that the fuel pump fuse blew. Once they fixed that I was good to go. Mechanic threw in a free battery they had installed.

Arrived in El Paso last night and car ran great. Love the way it wants to bolt even from
5th gear! Heading to Tucson and then Phoenix tonight then LA tomorrow.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Lets see, they punched a hole in your radiator, then left a wire loose costing you a weekend in a motel (I assume) and you get a free battery out of the deal.

Big whoop!

But I'm glad it was simple and that you are finally on the road. GTV6s love to be on the road.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lets see, they punched a hole in your radiator, then left a wire loose costing you a weekend in a motel (I assume) and you get a free battery out of the deal.

Big whoop!

But I'm glad it was simple and that you are finally on the road. GTV6s love to be on the road.
Today I made it to Prescott AZ, just so happens my nephew and his band were playing at a bar downtown. Parked the gtv6 right outside. Several times that night people came by to ask about the car and give high fives. I was a celebrity in there!

Regarding the mechanic, in Tucson I found a leak in the hose between the radiator and bottle-the hose was really old and cracked. Plus the the hose from the brake fluid reservoir to the clutch master had no clamps. What part of "please get the car ready for a long trip" was unclear. I guess the lesson is to examine everything yourself-pretty obvious but I thought I was in good hands.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Hey, what the heck, a roadtrip thread without pics?;)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Adversity build good stories. Sounds like you are having a great time with the car already.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Yeah Dragline !!
I mean, really, ya shoulda had the band pose with the GTV6 outside the club, surrounded by lots of fans,,,,,,

Of the Alfa, I mean,,,,, ;-}

And, Yes, we need pics to share and celebrate your Trip !!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi All,

Made it home a few minutes ago...no more problems thankfully. I do hear a slight clunk on the right and I think the brakes need going over, but thats another thread :)

Been too busy driving to post pictures, but now I have time...so here you go (sorry they're not too creative):

1st one is from my hotel in Prescott

2nd one is of my nephew's band...he's on the left. Only 19 but plays AMAZING..folksy style, kind of like Bill Frisell crossed with Stevie Ray.

3rd one is at a lookout over an Arizona valley

4th is somewhere between Cali and AZ :)

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is where the car got hosed (in a good way)..this guy fixed it quick...

The 2nd picture is more evidence of the original mechanic's handiwork...notice the lack of hose clamps (they replaced the brake MC)...guess I'm lucky it didn't pop loose. Makes we wonder though, are there normally hose clamps?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts