Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That's a perfectly-sized, mid-engined, 2-seat, true sports car with plenty of power and fantastic handling.

We tried that. It was nice. People bought the Cayman anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The 4C was never meant to be a volume seller nor have a long production run: I got old friends from the time I worked at Centro Stile in Turin an they told me the 4C was lucky to have been made at all, as it was developed on a shoestring and largely pushed ahead by the most dedicated employees.
It wasn't nor couldn't be a Cayman rival... It's a little Ferrari, cramped, not practical, for use on high days. I'd have one!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Those who are afraid of horsepowers have even more to fear when the new 8c arrives with 700+ Hp, going after other top marques who have such high power. Actually nothing for the average consumer.

Also New GTV is confirmed here, being a Giulia Coupe. Seems they are pushing Alfa up there where it was in the old days! Is that bad? Well they should have an Electric option Giulia with 500-1000Hp and 500km range, and that would be a hit!

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/shock-alfa-romeo-8c-and-gtv-are-back

G.

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
So FIAT is going to be selling Ferraris, Maseratis and now Alfa Romeos all in the same market ... idiots IMO.

And unfortunately confirmed that future Alfa Romeo clubs will be fill of wankers, who have bought the brand because it is expensive and fast to make them look good, instead of being real car enthusiasts ... why I've long gone off any dream of owning a Ferrari.
Pete

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Ferrari is not owned by FCA any longer as FCA traded their shares out of the company with the FCA shareholders. So I see that FCA has no constraints in competing with Ferrari any longer. It seems FCA will also spin off the Maserati-Alfa unit to be an independent manufacturer- we will see. Also now competition between Maserati and Alfa is not a big problem because they have different markets. Maserati the high end sporty luxury market, while Alfa is building up for the sporty market, also offering compact sporty cars.

Also hopefully the new GTV will be a real nice follow up on the 116GTV, a sporty long range car not too much genes from Giulia sedan! That is, its own body design not leaning on the Giulia body at all.

Ferrari finally splits from Fiat-Chrysler | Autoweek

G.

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
I'm actually embarrassed being an Alfisti now. Will have to prefix car conversations with "As far as I am concerned Alfa Romeo stopped to exist after my 156v6 model was made", or "I'm only a fan of old Alfa Romeo's, not these modern 'made for utter wankers' ****"

I could never own a modern Ferrari, Alfa Romeo (4c, SUV maybe), McLaren, Pagani, Koenedsfsdf, Lamborghini, etc. with out feeling completely embarrassed and about how I look like a total tool being seen in one.
Pete

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
I'm actually embarrassed being an Alfisti now. Will have to prefix car conversations with "As far as I am concerned Alfa Romeo stopped to exist after my 156v6 model was made", or "I'm only a fan of old Alfa Romeo's, not these modern 'made for utter wankers' ****"

I could never own a modern Ferrari, Alfa Romeo (4c, SUV maybe), McLaren, Pagani, Koenedsfsdf, Lamborghini, etc. with out feeling completely embarrassed and about how I look like a total tool being seen in one.
Pete
Geeze Pete, lay off the caffeine! I never thought you'd be caught up worrying what others think of you!!

As for me, I'll never have to worry about what I look like driving in any of the aforementioned supercars unless i find where i stashed my bitcoins. They're around here somewhere...

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Wait a few years Pete and the current Alfas will be old and then you can drive one with a clear conscience.

·
Administrator
17,112 Posts
I've never understood supercars. Utterly pointless vehicles and it sounds like Alfa Romeo is heading in that direction :(.

A road car is a road car, and a race car is a race car. Alfa Romeo never built pointless cars before. The 8c2900 nearly won Le Mans, etc. Lets return to many forms of racing, and these 600/700hp embarrassment machines are made for homologation reasons only.
Pete

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I have to agree with you about super cars Pete. I find them pointless too. Ferraris and the like do nothing for me. What is the good of 800 hp when you can’t use it and have to drive with a featherweight touch on the throttle lest it break traction? My 2004 GT would do 0-100 in about 5.5 seconds which is plenty fast enough and the Quaife diff keeps the 250 horses under control. On top of that it has the carrying capacity of a wagon with its fold down rear seats. Most super cars can barely carry an overnight bag. The Giulia QV is at least a practical car though and can be driven conservatively. I have to say I might be tempted by one of those if I had the money. Any car I own has to be able to carry a bass guitar and amp.

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A new GTV6 transaxle with 300Hp would be sufficient for me, the 600Hp version for the upper class Monaco showboys and Nürburgring racers.

Then for OZ a station wagon version with space for musical instruments, so he gets there in time! :)

G.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I was able to fit a five piece drumset into my GTV6 for gig once.I had to take the passenger side seat out to fit the 22" bass drum in the car. My wife stayed home that night

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
For some technical reason I could not start a new thread, so decided to add on to this one since it might be the right place after all.

Good and bad rumors out there. First, a new model may be launched at the Geneva show:

All-New Alfa Romeo Model to Debut at 2019 Geneva Motor Show in March - The Drive

And then I too hope this next one is not true, as even though it appears to contradict the above, it still sounds plausible. With credit to Brian Anthony Cox who posted this video to AROC-USA website. Go to 00:23 of the video:

Bill

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.