Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all

I am recently new owner of a 1971 gtv

Is there supposed to be a seal on the front windshield for these types of cars? I just get a bad feeling how the windshield is placed, I can see some gunk stuff oozing out from the inside of the windshield near the dash. And the metal trim in the outside is not completely flush up against the glass, I can see a lot of gaps between the metal and the glass. ;)

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Welcome, palito.

The 1971 GTVs were fitted with two different windshields depending on where the car was sold. European models (10544 & 10545) have a gasket type while the USA version (10551) have a glue-in type. The trim pieces are not interchangeable. Which version do you have?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here are the pictures of the windshield

I see both a gasket in the inside and some black glue.. looks very bad, or is this how supposed to look? .. I have a feeling water is leaking inside and the trim metal not flush up against the glass.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Palito,

Judging by the photos, your GTV has the glue-in type. To correct this you would have to pull the windshiled and re-set in place. Be carefull when you remove the aluminum trim. Its very delicate. If not done carefully, you'll need to replace it.

Alternatively, you may opt to a earlier gasket type window, which looks much cleaner and will match the rear glass. This is what I did to my GTV - looks great.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
The glue-in windshields are slightly larger than the gasketed windshields so you'd have to get a different windshield if you wanted to use a gasket. Whatever you decide, you'll probably find a bit of rust under the glue at the bottom (typical). Make sure you take care of it while you have the windshield out or you'll regret it later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts