Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys just thought Id intro myself, I have recently purchased a 1956 750 giulietta sprint, aparently the guy I purchased it from was on here, the car is in pieces so I will be dipping into this knowledgeable resource quite alot, as I have been doing with my 2600 sprint project.

I will post the chassis number and such a little later on once I get the car out of storrage. also posting pics along the way.

As a start I will be restoring and rebuilding the engine which I got with the car, to my(limited) understanding it is not a 750 motor but a 101 series engine. I also recieved a twin carb manifold with the engine but alas no carbs or air filter housing, so will be searching for these as of now.

Also my first question is this, how do I assertain wether the motor is a 1600 or 1300 and wether the head is correct for the block?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Firstly the engine number will tell you precisely what the motor is....but visually, if there is no gap between the top of the water pump and the head gasket....it is 1300ccs. As to whether the head is correct we will need photographs....the perenial cry on the BB is photographs and more photographs.
I don't know where you are in SA but you have the 750/101 guru in Greig Smith in PE, I am sure he will be able to assist you. Good luck...keep us posted.

·
Administrator
4,065 Posts
Hi Frost

Welcome aboard Giulietta ownership - sent you an email about your questions

The fastest ID for a 1300 block is that the top row of water pump studs are at the top of the block, there's about 12mm more block above the studs on a 1600 and 25mm on the 1750/2000 blocks.

Engine numbers are also a give-away as the first 5 digits are the model & designation - 00530 is a 105 Series and 30 = 1300 GT Junior

You'd have to measure the combustion chambers in the cylinder head, 1300 = 74mm, 1600 = 78mm, 1750 = 80mm and 2000 = 84mm

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys will be visiting the garage tomorrow with a vernier to establish engine particulars, so far I got the numbers:Sprint 750B 1493*03455, 00109*02385. 653204. 1956/12/05. AR706. South Africa.
Will get down to pictures shortly.

Greig, any I dea where I can get parts and the like here in SA, I have only had to do with later Alfas till now, mostly 115 series giulietta and Alfattas, so this is new teritory to me.

·
Administrator
4,065 Posts
Hi Frost

00109*02385 is a Giulietta Ti engine from '61 or '62 - Fusi's not very accurate with the RHD export cars

AR 706 is Grigio Chiarissimo (Pale Grey).............Looks like glossy grey primer, my 05880 was this colour

Parts are available, it depends what you need, how accurately you wish to restore 03455 & how deep your wallet is..... there was a '56 motor for sale a while ago.

Giulietta's are quite straightforward compared to the later cars, but trim was matched to each car so fitting new bits can be challenging. Take pictures, post them & we can go from there. We all started off knowing nothing about these cars & have learned as we go along, there are lots of knowledgeable Alfista on this board who willingly share their knowledge, so ask away.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Great so at leats I now know the original colour, will definitely try and get it back to that colour, is it similar to the new fiat 500 light grey? it is now painted white but I will have to redo to get to the finnish I want, the great thing about the car is its completely solid, no rust whatso ever, unbelievable! The big question is, do I go for a type of resto modded car or completely original? I am thinking of going OEM colour, using the 101 engine I have(with veloce intake and 2 dco3s Which I got with it) no airfilter in the parts batch though(can I still get this) and a set of OMP classic buckets , with 3 point harnesses and make it a really usable little tourer.
but will this devalue the car too much , versus the cost of getting a matching engine?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PS my car is suppose to be an early type, yet it has the later egg crate grilles , bigger headlights and the long tail lights with a reflector underneath(these I need by the way if u know of any) how where these classified? I checked and it doesnt seem to be a botched upgrade, its all steal around the taillights so doesnt seem like any tampering has taken place?

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Seems that you have found a good one.

Colour is up to you, but my choices was to go to a midnight blue with a dark blue interior. My other favourite colour is on my Spider. There are a LOT of red ones around.

When finished, it will be a 95-point restoration.

It has the original "bullet mirror" on the drivers door and the OEM interior mirror on the dash was too small for good rear vision.

Found a modern mirror that is larger with automatic dimming. The restoration shop thinks that because it is a safety item it would not insult the judges.

On enhancing its abilities as a fast tourer and keeping in mind the mountain roads in British Columbia--the engine will a be a hot 2 L.

Gear box has been rebuilt with taller first, second and third cogs. The tall fifth (.79) has been kept. This, with a good LSD is following the build on my Spider.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Frost

I just remembered that Stuart (Alfazagato) has a combination for the exterior and interior of a 101 Sprint that he really likes.

Perhaps he will volunteer it.:p

:cool::cool:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Graphite grey with burgundy interior...lovely. BUT yesterday saw a 501 Sprint with a silver roof which looked just stunning....just like the Mille Miglia pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
My '57 was originally "Grigio Chiarissimo" which I believe translates as "Cute Gray". Not the most beautiful color these cars were painted, in my opinion. It is now maroon. Not an original color for the Sprint, but boy does it look good! There was a long thread here recently about "original colors". Check it out.

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
My '57 was originally "Grigio Chiarissimo" which I believe translates as "Cute Gray". Not the most beautiful color these cars were painted, in my opinion. It is now maroon. Not an original color for the Sprint, but boy does it look good! There was a long thread here recently about "original colors". Check it out.

Scott
Let's see your maroon Sprint! If you've posted pictures elsewhere I've missed it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK So as promised the first pics of the car

the engine block

gearbox, 4 speed already rebuilt

piston

Intake manifold

So any comment welcom, firstly will the four speed box be OK with a worked motor or must I opt for a 5 speed?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have found a colour which I think is very close to original , can anyone on here asist me with the colour code for the fiat abarth 500, campovolo grey colour?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Frost,

Welcome to Giulietta ownership from another fellow South African Sprint caretaker.(750 SV Confortevole undergoing restoration!)
I might be able to help you with a 750 rear clip, rusty, but solid light housing sections.PM me or call me on 0836256819.
Ciao,Nick.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts