Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This coming Tuesday I hope to pick up my new Giulietta Sprint, to keep my 2600 spider some company. The car is basically sound but needs a lot of work. There are pictures in this thread
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/169822-value-58-sprint-mexico.html#post915053

I am very lucky because I the best possible partner for this venture: My 14 year old son! :) I am very much looking forward to working on this car with him.

The first order of business will be to see if it starts. I saw the oil and it looks good, not milky or anything, and I believe the engine spins freely.

The plan is to put some Marvel Mystery Oil down the spark plug holes and let it sit for a couple of days. Drain the oil and change the filter and then roll the car in gear to free up the rings. Put in a new battery and give it a try.

Before that however I will also drain the gas tank, and put in new spark plugs. Any suggestions on what spark plugs to use?

I will also check that there is good current from the coil and the distributor.

The mechanical fuel pump has been bypassed for some reason, and it is missing the electric pump that was used when it was bypassed, so I might install an electric pump for now. Any comments on fuel pumps?

If it starts, the idea is to take it for a spin to check the brakes and gearbox.

Any comments or suggestions?

This car needs a complete restoration, but I have my own approach towards restoring cars, which basically involves having all the mechanics of the car working as they should before moving on to cosmetics, so the first few months we will spend refurbishing everything mechanical, suspension, brakes, electrical, etc.

I will probably have a lot of questions and your patience will be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
Henry, sounds like an upcoming adventure. Congratulations!
I'm starting to reassemble my 59 Sprint, so have been through a lot of learning. Feel free to ask any time - but you will quickly discover the "key 3" guys on the forum that know the most about these cars, and are anxious to share. Have fun.
Bob

·
Administrator
4,039 Posts
Welcome aboard Giulietta ownership Henry & son (The last combo like this built Fords...)

Spark plugs - NGK BP7es will be just fine - spin the motor with the distibutor lead disconnected until you get oil pressure on the gauge, then fire her up.

You have a 750B Interim / Transition car, built towards the end of '58 as can be seen by the tunnel case tranny. The Split case arrived in about September '58, but as with everything Alfa, fitments appears to have been a bit sporadic in the beginning. It would be interesting to see what build date the archives gives you ?

Your car runs pure 750 running gear clothed with the new 101 body. The assembled in Mexico adds another interesting dimension to your car as it is a rare survivor of early Interim build, still with the 750 mechanicals and the Willy's assembly - can't be many still left that haven't been butchered with later mechanicals and are now resale red.

All the bits look good, the body appears to be reasonably rust free from what can be seen. The mechanicals look good and most of the trim is present & intact...driver's door moulding aside. The door panels have lost their trim, but someone in the US will have a set for sale.

Glad you & Junior are going to restore this one, I converted my Dad from MG's to Alfa's & the virus took hold, we have 9 Giulietta's at present, 3 105's and 10 others so you are in good company. We have a Jan '60 Sprint in the workshop at the moment - am getting back to that after rebuilding a '57 Spider which I bought 17 months ago.

Shout if you need any info, there are enough learned folk in this group to keep you on the straight & narrow - are you a member of the 750/101 Group on Yahoo or the Giulietta Register in the UK - both highly recommended.

Ciao
Greig
Some 750's
Some 101's
Some 105's
Some others

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I will start working on the car late next week hopefully and I'll update.

·
Registered
484 Posts
giulietta sprint questions

Sounds like a lot of great experience and skill out there. I've been sitting on a sprint for a couple years finishing other projects. Very clean California car. Intend to now begin stripping in prep for minor body work and a down to bare metal paint job. Really do not want to butch anything in the removal process and in particular wonder how the chrome strips which run along bottom of door and rockers are attached. Don't want to just start pulling. Advice would be very very welcome. Thanks.

·
Administrator
4,039 Posts
Hi Rosso

Pictures and chassis numbers are mandatory when discussing Giulietta's - we all want to see whatcha have !!

The triangular trim is held onto the doors and sills on a Sprint via small nuts, you can get to the front short spear fasteners throught the back of the front wheel arch. If your car still has the vertical splash panels at the back of the front wheel arches, these will need to come off, they were fitted with tiny mild steel screws, good luck in getting these out !! To get the rear short spears off you will have to find one nut at the front edge of the rear wheel arch, the other will require you to remove the vertical trim panels on the inside of the car behind the front seats. The door trims are held on either through the bottom of the door flange if it's a 750 or through the door skin & into the bottom of the door if it's a 101....total rust trap as Bertone fitted mild steel nuts and bolts. You will have to remove the door panel if it's a 101 - the door handle & window winder escutcheons are spring loaded and by pushing them back, you will expose either the screws or the pins which hold the handles into place.

With regard to the fasteners - they will all be corroded solid & you'll just have to turn the nuts & threads off & remake the fasteners out of stainless steel.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
484 Posts
many thanks Greig. Will get after it today. Will come prepared with chasis number and photos on my inevitable next entry.

Grazie

Vincent

·
Registered
31 Posts
Greig
We were just in SA less than a month ago but, unfortunately, a side trip to Port Elizabeth wasn't possible.
I'm completely rebuilding a 750, 03919, from the ground up. Currently trying to determine how the window winder with the cross fixing system is actually held on. Does it take a pin with a head that butts against one side of a slot and is then blunted over on the other side? Or???
Thanks, Jim

·
Administrator
4,039 Posts
Giulietta door handle / window winder fixings

Hi Jim

There are actually 3 different fixing methods for the handles, as you mentioned you have the 4 cross on the underside of the handle, this can be one of 2 versions:

1.) The handle has 4 cross slots underneath it which slip over the window or door mechanism shaft which has a pin fixed through it. The handle is then held into position via a small grub screw which is behind the round part in line with the handle

2.) The handle has 4 holes through it, this fits over the window or door mechanism shaft which has a hole through it. The handle takes a round pin through and the shaft - this is held into position by the small chrome 'cup' under the handle

3.) The third version & not relevant for Jim, but hey I'm here writing this stuff anyway.... is a square drive which uses the grub screw to keep the handles in position and the force is taken on the square.

In all 3 cases there are 5 parts to every door handle / window winder set-up

1. The round escutcheon - 1483.42.046 - Fixed Escutcheon
  2. The spring - 1483.42.068 - Spring moveable for inner handles
  3. The small escutcheon - 1483.42.047 - Escutcheon moveable for inner handles
  4. The door handle or window winder
  5. Either the round pin or the grub screw depending on the version you have

The catch is that you absolutely need matching bits between the door / window winder mechanisms and the handles you have..... miss-matches can be made to work, but it involves sweat equity and it helps to be able to mutter darkly in Italian under your breath when working on the bits.

The hardest system to Frankenfix is the square drive, we have this on Dad's '57 Spider.... took me several years to find a set of handles with the square drive inner castings to replace the plastic BMC Mini handles that were on it, I'm still on the hunt for square drive window winders, but will probably remove the mechanisms and drill holes to go with system #2

Ciao
Greig

p.s. Picture credit of the door panel on 01149, the late Tony Ranson's '55 Capri Blue Sprint goes to Uncle Divotandtralee

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hi Greig and all,

I have found another Giulietta window handle with maybe a 4th fixing method , the one on the left on my picture. I showed it to an old alfisto friend of mine and he confirmed me that the fixing was done with a kind of half moon. That half moon was kept in place with the inner small chrome cup . In this case both the shaft and the handle had little dents so that the handle could be mounted in any position, 360° arround. So probably it existed only as window winder, not for opening the door.
The one below on the picture has the 4 holes, each at 90°. That is Greig’s number 2.
The one on the right is the number 1 in the explanation of Greig.
The one on the top of my picture is a door handle with a square hole.
There is no fixing screw but it has two little holes at 180° for a round pin, I guess to fix it through the square shaft .
I can make other pictures of the handles that I have if someone needs it.

For the little history would it be interesting to know which fixing system came first and which later.

During the years I have come to find 3 different knobs on the handle but maybe the earliest sprints did have another model , probably coming from the 1900 as they have the same Alfa number.
Maybe someone with an early original sprint ( up to chassis nr 700) could show a picture of the earliest handles mentioned in the catalog.
Two of the 3 knobs were flat , one was chromed metal and the other was black plastic .
The same friend told me that the chrome one’s would be only for the 750 spider but that I can’t confirm. Any sprints with chrome knobs?
His 750D, that he bought some 55 years ago, has them.
The third knob is the common round and black one .
Greig, the window winder with the square shaft, should it have the flat or the round knob in your opinion?
Any other thoughts , documentation and corrections are always appreciated.
Rgds from Belgium,

Thierry

Attachments

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Since we're on the subject .. the first 750's seem to have an edge on quality of components, including chromed brass pieces. The eyebrows,grilles, grille bars, head light doors, and other trime were brass. I have not found brass interior handles BUT the early cars had a more stout door opener that weighs 10% more than the skinnier later version. Visually they are different with a more robust cross section to the handle on the early cars. Aftermarket pieces don't differentiate this in their offerring and I suspect they are the skinnier version to fit all cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hi Greig,

" ... The hardest system to Frankenfix is the square drive, we have this on Dad's '57 Spider.... took me several years to find a set of handles with the square drive inner castings to replace the plastic BMC Mini handles that were on it, I'm still on the hunt for square drive window winders, but will probably remove the mechanisms and drill holes to go with system #2 ..."

I think I saw window winders with a square hole at Alfastop.
Hope this helps,

Thierry

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I sent you a PM about restoring your Sprint. The window winders can be purchased from Alfa Stop and buying new ones are less expensive then chrome plating old ones. I have restored many Alfas and recommend taking the whole car apart and having the body media blasted to see if there is any rust damage or collision damage. The body restoration is the most expensive part of car restoration and restoration is expensive even if you do all of the labor. I rebuild engines, transmissions, suspension, electrical and anything mechanical but, do not replace panels, paint cars, chrome plate, zinc black, CAD plate or do interior restoration.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts