Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A shot of my 'new' 1963 Giulia Ti Super FIA 'k' race car as picked up. It is now being pulled apart, gone through and put perfect for the Italian Historic touring car championship series. Wish me luck that there are no nasty surprises when it is torn down. It has been a race car for ages and was sold and first registerd in Palermo in 1964. As with any 40 year old there are some changes/details that I want to take back to 'as delivered' but it has been well looked after.

Attachments

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
How did I ever miss this post the first time around?

Great looking car Mezzeta! From all the stickers on the door it looks like she already has a bit of racing history. Good luck in the series.

Did you ever end up selling your Duetto?

Post more pictures when you get a chance please.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Duetto

Yep, The duetto now lives in Florida and I heard she got a second place with Jonathan her new owner. I miss her but she's appears to be in very good hands...

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Colors

I think TI Supers only came in one color, Biancospino White. Man, I hope I get a chance to see this car race in Italy sometime.

How limiting are the App. K rules? Are you allowed fiberglass hood or trunk? I shouldn't use the word limiting, as its great to have a series where the cars are so like they were back in their day.

Are you taking the motor apart as well? Will be interesting to see which pistons/crank they're using, as well as which clutch.

Are the side and back windows plexi? Have you had the car weighed?

Cheers!

Steve S.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ti Super

I purchased the car near Venice and have the original owners name and address from Palermo. I am trying to do a full year by year on the car...a good winter project.

I am learning more about Ti Supers and the one thing I am learning is there were many variables. Many but not all had plexi windows, a few had thinner glass. All were white, 501 seems to be the number made that everyone agrees on. Some say that a large number of those were sent to the Police and re-painted for patrol work, some dispute this.

I am not dismantling the engine now, another wintertime job. We are doing a full drivetrain, suspension and saftey check, rebuild and crack check, 40 years old this year...Photos are being taken.

I hope to get a few events in this fall...Yes the 'k' regs are very difficult for someone used to racing in the US. Anything and everything is regulated by the original Homologation papers as submitted by the factory. GTA's cant have a sliding block! because they were not homologated until 1966. The maximum weight without driver is 932kg. The widest wheels I can run are 5 1/2" and they need to be 15". They regularly check the track, the camber, weight ( my car now carries balast!) and the ground clearance at tech. They also take cheating very seriously, with fines, penalties and humiliation. It should be fun. We will see...

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Re: Ti Super

mezzeta said:
They regularly check the track, the camber, weight ( my car now carries balast!) and the ground clearance at tech. They also take cheating very seriously, with fines, penalties and humiliation. It should be fun. We will see...
What! No sandbagin!

Thats no fun.

:)

·
Registered
959 Posts
How limiting are the App. K rules? Are you allowed fiberglass hood or trunk
Very limiting! You must follow the original homologation papers. This means that if fibreglass trunk werent used back then - you cant use it now. That goes for about every part of the car. So most of the mods that you guys do in historic racing in the US, wouldnt be allowed to App K, which is the most common historic raceseries in Europe.

It makes it very difficult for newcomers to understand the rules and secondly to make a competitive car, as it is far more expensive to use the period correct parts. Thats the negative side - the positive is of course the aim of the rules to keep the cars "historic" and avoid modern tuning (which also is expensive).

·
Registered
751 Posts
I thought I read that the TI Supers did have fiberlass hoods and trunks, and there is some debate about lighter sheetmetal for the body panels. I'd just like to see one in the flesh...to see one race would be a dream!
(I've been lucky enough to see Steve S race his GTA at Pacifc Raceways-very cool!

·
Registered
751 Posts
So, do you know what she weighs in race trim, and how that compares to stock weight? I'm trying to decide how much to strip down my Super, if at all, and I wondered how much effect it would have? Also, on your car, did the engine come from the factory with performance enhancements, or was that up to the owner? If it came with them, could you tell us what the specs are?
How does she feel on the track?
Thanks,
Pat
Love your car!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Ti Supers were homologated to weigh 930 Kg, Mine needs to carry a little balast to be legal. They weigh the cars here in Italy without driver so I am always at a disadvantage (I'm 225 lbs) In the States the SCCA weighs the whole package, driver & car, always seemed fair to me being 'larger'.
The Ti Super had all the performance options of the day. It was a homologation special, they built just enough of them to qualify and race.
I will let you know how she is on the track, my maiden race with her is this weekends FIA 2 hour historic touring car race.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I second that...best of luck in your maiden battle, as Steve S. calls it. I thought the race was last weekend. Are you all ready? Get her all set, get her all clean, get her loaded on the trailer, and get a good night's sleep before the race.
Have fun, be safe, kick some A$$!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts