Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one currently being built for delivery in Jan, BUT I am scared. First, everywhere you look, they talk about the reliability problems with Alfa. Then I go to look at the lease possibilities and I see that the banks have very little faith in the car because the lease is terrible. My Italian wife says to me,"Even Italians know not to buy an Alfa." Everything is screaming don't do it.... problem is that I drove one for 5 minutes and that' that. Tell me that they have worked out the gremlins for 2018, tell me it's not going to leave me on the side of the road. Tell me that this leap of faith will pay off, and it won't be worth 20k in 2 years!

·
Administrator
16,354 Posts
Everyone that I know loves their Giulia! One has been in the shop a few times but never 'stranded' on the side of the road. That one needed work on the Navigation system and once went into 'limp home' mode but after shutting it off and restarting it was OK. I would suggest finding a dealer that is enthusiastic about Alfa's.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,854 Posts
New Giulia QV ordered, make me feel good
Look, it wouldn't be a real Alfa if there weren't a few missing parts and all the nuts and bolts had been tightened. Just look as it as getting modern car performance with classic Alfa build quality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The deal is pretty good, only place I found willing to sell for 5k under MSRP, even on a new build not just whats on the lot... I want a brand that I can really get into... my current AMG Merc has been a huge disappointment as far as club and social events for the brand

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The QF is more like a four door Ferrari than a traditional Alfa.

The faults people have reported are mostly software glitches. If so these are fixed by software updates not replacing parts. By now the software should be robust.

Alfa makes good quality cars, just not necessarily right off the showroom floor. My 164 suffered from a series of expensive parts failures in the first 6 years. Now at 26 years old it is remarkably reliable.

And you just cannot buy that undefinable Alfa 'ness anywhere else.

Buy, drive the wheels off it and enjoy. Plan on keeping it for quite a while. These cars are made for long term enjoyment.

·
Registered
221 Posts
everyone talking about Alfa reliability seem to never have owned a bmw or mercedes, for gods sake i bought a brand new ML350 in 2011 and it turned out to be a lemon, 16 times in the shop in 22 months! I have a bmw x5 diesel check engines lights come on every 3-4000 miles. I have owned bmws in the past and same story. Its not that they are unreliable they are just very delicate.

All the reliability issues that Alfa suffers from are related to 30 years ago experience with different cars, different factory different era of manufacturing! Why cant Americans grow out of this way of thinking?!! Kia 30 years ago was garbage, now its rated n.1 - things change, your mind sometimes should too.

Go to any BMW or Mercedes forum (forget about the VW group - that is a nightmare) and see what people go through.

Congratulations on your new car, you are going to love it, you are going to have issues with it, you are going to know it more and more as times goes by, just like any other car. Stick with your decision and just enjoy it - people that complain about it are just social media heros hiding behind a keyboard

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
everyone talking about Alfa reliability seem to never have owned a bmw or mercedes, for gods sake i bought a brand new ML350 in 2011 and it turned out to be a lemon, 16 times in the shop in 22 months! I have a bmw x5 diesel check engines lights come on every 3-4000 miles. I have owned bmws in the past and same story. Its not that they are unreliable they are just very delicate.

All the reliability issues that Alfa suffers from are related to 30 years ago experience with different cars, different factory different era of manufacturing! Why cant Americans grow out of this way of thinking?!! Kia 30 years ago was garbage, now its rated n.1 - things change, your mind sometimes should too.

Go to any BMW or Mercedes forum (forget about the VW group - that is a nightmare) and see what people go through.

Congratulations on your new car, you are going to love it, you are going to have issues with it, you are going to know it more and more as times goes by, just like any other car. Stick with your decision and just enjoy it - people that complain about it are just social media heros hiding behind a keyboard
Amen! I'm so tired of lazy auto writers bringing up 40-year-old stereotypes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
it just pisses me off that everyone races, pays a premium for the most current information to make an educated decision on everything we do. We go to amazon to read reviews, we sort, we scrutinize them, all of this to gather knowledge. But sometimes we are just too lazy to gather new info, we just rather based our info and draw conclusions from info dated and putrefied - Journalism now a days (if you can even call that) its a mere copy and paste and attention catching - if the best of them "car and driver" loves to use ambiguous article titles to draw peoples attention on what they want to see

For example: "New Alfa Romeo Engine Leaks: Will We See a 350-HP Giulia Veloce?" http://blog.caranddriver.com/new-alfa-romeo-engine-leaks-will-we-see-a-350-hp-giulia-veloce

On the other hand read Giulia reviews on edmunds: https://www.edmunds.com/alfa-romeo/giulia/2017/consumer-reviews/pg-1/?sorting=CONFIDENCE

if you have time read the reviews of the bmw 340: https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/2017/consumer-reviews/pg-1/?sorting=CONFIDENCE

this brief post to put into perspective, I could have added audi and mercedes as well - but its the same story if not worse.

Problem is problems with Alfa Romeo draw more attention and more clicks - problems with other brands don't - they have lie and write about something, but you as a consumer just spend more time in finding out the true story and take into consideration paid articles from the big guys - its all politics.

im done.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
If we are going to discuss stereotypes I can say that in 1980 I bought a used 1972 Alfa Romeo Spider that had 50,000 miles on it. I still have that car and it has never been a problem. Prior to that we owned two Fiat 124’s that also were good cars. In fact, through the years the worst two cars I have owned were a 1971 Toyota Corona and a 1981 Honda Accord. Either I have weird vehicular karma or reliability claims are mostly a myth.

But all of my cars were used and I never was involved with either dealerships or warranties. I think that has at least something to do with the issues.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have a 1978 Alfetta Sports Sedan with 115k miles that I wouldn't hesitate to drive anywhere.

·
Premium Member
15,417 Posts
We put over 180k miles on our 78 sedan with no problems. The 91S, used as a DD, has 188k miles on it, and it just keeps running.

I say, if one can afford a new Giulia QV, then one can afford to keep it running, esp since it comes with a warranty. Goes with the territory I would think. Sounds like it might not be the car for him if he needs such assurances. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel better now thanks lol.... I have never owned an Alfa, I have always loved the Ferraris and Alfas but never had the opportunity to have one. Gone through Vetts, Jaguars, my current AMG, and even a Fiat 124 that I made into a race car... They have all had problems like anything else, what made me second guess the QV was all the hype about the reliability from articles I read. Didn't really matter after I drove one at my local dealer, I fell in love with it and look forward to the drive. I have found a local Alfa club too... hope to see you all out there

·
Supporting Vendor
4,333 Posts
I have one currently being built for delivery in Jan, BUT I am scared. First, everywhere you look, they talk about the reliability problems with Alfa. Then I go to look at the lease possibilities and I see that the banks have very little faith in the car because the lease is terrible. My Italian wife says to me,"Even Italians know not to buy an Alfa." Everything is screaming don't do it.... problem is that I drove one for 5 minutes and that' that. Tell me that they have worked out the gremlins for 2018, tell me it's not going to leave me on the side of the road. Tell me that this leap of faith will pay off, and it won't be worth 20k in 2 years!
Our QV has been flawless and most of the Giulia owners I talk to have similar positive real-world experiences. There was a period where a lot of the early cars had software issues but that seems to be mostly sorted out by now with software updates and other dealer fixes. We never experienced these glitches but had the software updated anyway.

Honestly you have a lot to be excited about with the QV and I would not let the unreliability myth put you off.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Don't know what to tell you, I've owned 3 FIATs, 1 Ferrari, 2 Alfas (a partridge in a pear tree...but I digress) and I now own a Giulia Ti Q4 with 7000 miles of perfection. I've had none of the crap people talk about with these cars except the Ferrari until I found the mechanic who knew what the hell he was doing with these cars and it too was perfect after that until I sold it to buy the Giulia. If you love the brand buy the car. If I could afford it I would have a new Giulia QV in a heartbeat, it beats the hell out of everything in and many cars out of its class. Don't get me wrong I love the Ti, it too beats the crap out of the competition.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I understand your concern, I had the same worries due to some of the posts I've read but to date mine has been 100% reliable (2-17 build date, Q with 5,000 miles). I've had all of the software updates also. That worrying has totally gone away now, petty as it was to begin with.

I think you'll find , like I did, that the Q will be one of the funnest cars you've ever owned. The car is a beast and for all the right reasons. It's the only car that I absolutely look forward to driving every single minute.

Congratulations on your purchase, you will not be disappointed!!! Just sit back and count the days until it arrives, it'll seem like an eternity.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
They are not like they use to be. Probably way way more reliable than Audi by a long shot or BMW or Merc. I personally would never buy an Audi again! Italians buy alfa's I know a lot of them. I am one of them. Qv will hold it's value, even the last ones imported (1995) here are holding well. If in good shape these are still going easily for $10-18K and they are 22 years old. The Qv in 2 years will not be worth 20K. If so, great I will pick one up then but they won't. I'd say if you drove it sold it in 2 years it would be worth $50-55K. depending on mileage.

They built that car from the ground up. I would not worry one bit! I hear this all the time and it is not true anymore.

·
Premium Member
15,417 Posts
And yet, the last time we were in Italy, we remarked that we were sure seeing a lot of Audis with Italian plates. From the north I would suspect.

Early Audis were pretty bad for reliability. I knew a guy who couldn't decide between an Audi 100(?) and an Alfa Berlina. He opted for the Audi, saying that the Alfa would be in the shop forever he had been told, while another friend bought a Berlina. The Audi did end up being worked on all the time, while my friend with the Berlina put at least 260k miles on it with no problems.

Actually, lol, the friend who had owned the Berlina did finally buy an Audi A4 Quattro stickshift, which has been pretty darn reliable for at least 200k miles now. At least that one seems to have stayed together. He now is in line to buy a newer car, would maybe return to Alfa (he had several in the past), but he wants a stickshift, so he is clearly out of luck (so far).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, I am supper excited now! I was hoping to hear all this, thanks everyone.... I was told 6 weeks today, now i just need to unload my Merc CLS63AMG for 27k, any takers lol?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I totally get your concern - had thought about an Alfa QV as well. Waiting for the stick if it ever happens. I think everyone's "mileage may vary".

I had the same experience/concern about 15 years ago when I bought my first Lotus. You know Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious.
But the modern Lotuses, while they have their quirks, and we joke about it, are pretty decent and reliable.

I'm assuming that with today's construction techniques, the Alfas are getting better and better.

Maybe not like a Merc but maybe more personality too? My wife has a C63, I personally think its a nice fast car but I don't drive it like that as it doesn't really "beg" to be driven hard. I haven't driven the new Guilia Ti or QV yet but I'm guessing they are way more fun to drive. I just saw a review of the QV on the "Grand Tour" from last season and Jeremy Clarkson, ever the picky one, absolutely loved it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts