Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that no one is making new steel fuel tanks for 750-101 spiders. There are some Stainless Steel and Aluminium tanks in the UK but with exchange rates and shipping we're talking cost prohibitive for those of us in the US. So I have some questions.
1. Does anyone know of availability of new 750-101 tanks in the US?
2. The UK supplier says tanks for 750 and 101 spiders are the same. True?
3. If I were to get a batch of tanks made - high standard correct baffles etc. is there any interest?
4. If made - what material? OEM Coated steel?, Stainless Steel, Aluminium?

By the way the reason I'm looking for a new tank is that our newly formulated gasoline has ate away the liner material from my tank that was professionally restored about 7 years ago.
Not sure if it's ethenol or some other additive but I'm ready to start clean with a new tank.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
My recently acquired Sprint. The PO advised that the tank had been boiled out by a pro and no sealant put in and sloshed around.

My shop guys say that this is fine the inside looks good and to use a qood fuel filter.:cool:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Whilst not quite on this subject, we in the UK have been advised, when filling up in France, to be careful not to buy fuel containing ethenol as it "attacks (?)" fuel tanks and pipes in older cars. Modern cars with plastic tanks are obviously not affected. Could this be a continuing problem in the US?
I have a UK sourced SS tank in my SZ and it is just fine...I would recommend one... despite the price.

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
Hi Dale

750 & 101 Spider tanks are identical, both Normale & Veloce - only the Sprint Veloce / SS & SZ's got the bigger tank

I'd agree with Stuart, however expensive Alfastop's tanks may seem to be, you are buying serious peace of mind with a top quality part, sold by someone who is a true Alfista.

While I have no doubt you could have something fabricated locally, the time / effort / potential for not being a 100% fit factors come to mind. Perhaps you could see if you can get a few folks together to reduce shipping costs.

When I'm travelling long distance in my Giulietta's that it's not only the car, but also my wife's safety I worry about & that sort of peace of mind is worth the slight increase in parts costs.

The real risk in buying one of Tony's stainless steel tanks is that you might prefer to polish it & display it in your lounge..........they are *THAT* good.

Make it a "To Dale, from Dale" on the 25th December - easy !!

My 0.02 Lira's worth...

Ciao
Greig

·
9,929 Posts
Classic Alfa in the UK lists a new, stainless steel tank for $1,083 US (650 UK Pounds) (see photo below). Shipping and insuring one of those to the US might add another several hundred dollars, so let's say Dale is approaching $1,500 by the time it's bolted up into his car.

Let's say he finds a local fabricator who is willing to make a small lot of tanks. If corrosion is the worry, I would think that mild steel would be rejected as the material, and either aluminum or stainless chosen. So, the question is, would someone make a small run of 750/101 tanks for significantly under $1,500 apiece? I don't have the answer, but if I had to guess, I would say "no".

Taking another tack, how much would it cost to clean and coat Dale's existing tank - or a good used tank - to make it more reliable? There are coatings available that claim to be resistant to ethanol. A couple of years ago, I had a reputable radiator shop (Mattson's Radiator in Stanton, Ca.) clean my 105 tank, and apply some proprietary coating - my memory is that the cost was about $350.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts