Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a photo of the new "Nose" treatment I am trying on my 80 Spider. The sheet metal is left stock with the shock absorbers removed. A welded mild steel frame is attached to the existing shock mounts with 2" steel tubes mandrel bent to conform to the front end profile making up the bumper in two sections. These are joined with a steel 1" angle in the middle to provide a mounting for the machined aluminum grill that accepts the medalion from the "rubber baby bumper" and is engraved with the Alfa script. This fits between the two existing chrome pieces with about .25 to clear top and bottom. The turn signals/running lights are 2001 Chevy truck parts reversed and swapped left for right and held with brackets welded to the back frame.
Not for the purist, I know, but I am trying to emulate at least the style of the earlier spiders and save some weight too.
Any thoughts, comments or suggestions appreciated.

Cheers!
Dave G.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
looks very cool. I think perhaps some 'slatted' grille's in chrome or stainless running horizontially in the space left and right of your central grille - hope that makes sense. Looks great! Nice work.

you are right....purists won't like it no matter what:(

do you have or are good with photoshop? I am guessing many on this board are - perfect opportunity to test some design ideas on your photo??? I don't know how to photoshop?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am not really very capable with photoshop, I mainly work in Verctor (CAD) files. Here is the original solid model rendering of what I did.
This was posted back in march I think.
The green entities would be better in Polished SS IMHO but I am prototyping here, and the flat black goes with
the orig. design intent of the S2 bumpers.

Cheers!
Dave G.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice treatment for a "resto" look.

I'd like to see a oil sump guard on your car before too long though.

Worth every penny the first time you need it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I know what you mean, but out here in the desert you need all the air flowing around the sump that you can get. I have a "skid plate" for the car but I removed it to improve cooling. I may put it back on for the 'winter'.
Too bad you are not closer, I am still pining for my 69 GTV (totalled while parked, back in the 80's).

Cheers!
Dave G.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Do you have any more pics from different angles? Looks interesting!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Well, I'm a European purist and think the rubber bumpers look awful on Spiders until S4s, on any car AAMF, actually.
I think your effort is fine and agree that it probably would look better in polished SS.
The sump guards are made 3/4" flat steel rods, and don't restrict air flow much. Your engine have a generous amount of oil in it, it should not be too much of a problem.
Erik

1 - 8 of 8 Posts