Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new rotors and pads on my '91 L and when applied, they sound like metal to metal grinding together. I've let them go a couple of hundred miles and it has not diminished.

Anyone experienced this before?

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,580 Posts
What kind of pads did you install? How do outer face of rotors look?

Tell me all four pads are installed correctly so brake pad lining facing both sides of the rotors.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
You should tear it apart immediately to find out what is going on. Why keep driving it? :confused:
Charles

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of pads did you install? How do outer face of rotors look?

Tell me all four pads are installed correctly so brake pad lining facing both sides of the rotors.
Ha, Yes all pad are installed correctly, but you made me look. I've done similar things in the past.

Rotors look brand new.

Why keep driving it?:confused: Because everything looks good.

I don't even remember where I got these pads or what kind they are. They've been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years. I forgot about them.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Sounds like you'll have to ditch them if everything is put together right and there really is no metal on metal like it sounds. Hard to say much about them if you don't know what kind they are, I guess. Are you using a shim behind the pads or any other anti-noise treatment on the backs? You could try that.
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
Ha, Yes all pad are installed correctly, but you made me look. I've done similar things in the past.

Rotors look brand new.

Why keep driving it?:confused: Because everything looks good.

I don't even remember where I got these pads or what kind they are. They've been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years. I forgot about them.
Pull a pad off and run your finger across it, is it rough? Is the compound chunky looking and not smooth looking?
if they are metalliac and not smooth, toss them as they are not a good pad. A good semi-metalliac should be fairly smooth.

Also what kind of rotors? Or where did you get them?

Does the pad have anything on them?
I would remove them, check them out. Unless the pad just needs to be bedded in which most do but on street cars normal driving will bed them in 500+/- miles.

Jason

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
What does it sound like? Screeching? May be just brake squeel your hearing. It's pretty normal when pads are replaced and may last for several thousand miles before it diminishes. It may never go away.

What kind of pads and rotors are you using?

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
What does it sound like? Screeching? May be just brake squeel your hearing. It's pretty normal when pads are replaced and may last for several thousand miles before it diminishes. It may never go away.

What kind of pads and rotors are you using?
If they are screeching, then I would say you did not bed them right or got them too hot before they bedded in and now are glazed. If this is the case you will need to skim the rotors to get the glazed material off the rotor and re-bed them in with the pads, doing a few consecutive stops from 60-10mph, light braking, then drive as normal and refrain from heavy stopping.
I have this procedure on my website under the tech section to read the whole thing.
The sound may never go away and will reduce braking by up to half. Properly bedded pads and rotors should be quite and should produce excellent stopping power if you will.

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts