Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a new scam going on in Europe now. I had it happen to me recently and
luckily it was only for 60.00 USD. Here is how it goes.... Customer buys parts on
E-Bay or through any channel and pays with PayPal. You make the sale, ship the parts
in good faith, however, they have figured out that any USPS "First class International mail"
tracking number that you normally supply to them that has the prefix CA tells them that the package/envelope can not be tracked once outside the USA.

Whats even crazier is that you generate the shipping label
through PayPal's website, the client/thief simply says they didn't receive the goods, files a dispute with PayPal and you loose..........So far it has happened once to me, but during my research I found that it
is common knowledge in several European countries including Italy.

This only applies to a cheater-thief-low life scumbag but you get the idea. Be carefull!!!
RML

·
Premium Member
13,172 Posts
Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
It is my understanding that if a seller/shipper had proof of shipment then Pay Pal was not going to be paying; pay pal was protecting buyers from fraudulent sellers.

You seem to be talking about fraudulent buyer who want the item for free.

Ken

·
Super Moderator
9,987 Posts
It is my understanding that if a seller/shipper had proof of shipment then Pay Pal was not going to be paying
I got caught up in one of these scams many years ago. When a buyer complains, good luck finding a human at ebay/PayPal to listen to your side of the story. Even back in the 20XX's, you could only deal with bots. It's nice to have proof of shipment, but when there is no one to present it to, it doesn't do you much good.

pay pal was protecting buyers from fraudulent sellers.
Sure, but who protects sellers from fraudulent buyers? The default decision for ebay/PayPal in these disputes seems to be that the buyer has been wronged / the seller is a crook.

You seem to be talking about fraudulent buyer who want the item for free.
Yup. And they not only want to steal the item from you, they also want you to pay for its shipping.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Here we have the BB to VET, in a way, both buyer and seller. We have a few who do little else but sell and I hope members would make note if there were issues. I am always wary of low post volume sellers at least for a while. Now must watch low volume buyers.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got caught up in one of these scams many years ago. When a buyer complains, good luck finding a human at ebay/PayPal to listen to your side of the story. Even back in the 20XX's, you could only deal with bots. It's nice to have proof of shipment, but when there is no one to present it to, it doesn't do you much good.

Sure, but who protects sellers from fraudulent buyers? The default decision for ebay/PayPal in these disputes seems to be that the buyer has been wronged / the seller is a crook.

Yup. And they not only want to steal the item from you, they also want you to pay for its shipping.
Exactly correct........ Remember The shipping label was generated through PayPal, they too know
the package cannot be tracked outside the USA. In my recent case it was only 60.00 its a cheap
lesson.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello, RML AUTOMOTIVE, INC

PayPal

We've refunded your buyer
We've completed our review of this case and decided in favor of your buyer. The buyer stated they never received the item, and the proof of delivery details provided could not be verified.

We refunded $60.00 USD to them.

Jay your soooo right, They STEAL your parts any you pay for shipping!

desmo888SP is the suspect!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brian and all
I guess the answer to your question is that NO ONE can track the package outside the USA. Not even USPS
when the code UA is on the tracking number of "First Class International" mail. Yes the code is UA not as i mentioned in my first post. Google it, fraud usps shipping code UA may get you there
RML

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
How much time elapsed before Paypal refunded the buyer? I once had a letter with a Money Order in it take a full month to get from Hagerstown, MD to Montreal, CAN. Less than 600 miles away! The seller was getting understandably antsy so I apologized and cancelled the money order. Of course, it arrived the next day but I didn't feel like going through that again.

I also had a First Class International package sent to Belgium about ten years ago never show up and I refunded the buyer. Of course, I have no way of knowing if he was telling the truth or if the part arrived after he had his refund and he never bothered let me know but I try to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's the only time I've had to take a full loss on a shipping snafu and it was less than $50 so I chalked it up to a relatively cheap lesson. I am reluctant to use First Class International anymore unless I'm really comfortable with the buyer.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You can block individual buyers from bidding on and purchasing your items on ebay. I did it to a well know seller of Alfa parts in California who would always complain about something once he received an item from me and then want a steep discount. After the second time he pulled that stunt I blocked him.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Hello, RML AUTOMOTIVE, INC

PayPal

We've refunded your buyer
We've completed our review of this case and decided in favor of your buyer. The buyer stated they never received the item, and the proof of delivery details provided could not be verified.

We refunded $60.00 USD to them.

Jay your soooo right, They STEAL your parts any you pay for shipping!

desmo888SP is the suspect!!!
Did I miss it? How do you know they received the parts then made a false claim. Maybe they did not receive the parts as they claim.

just wondering

Ken

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I no more using ebay from years now.

I never leave money on the paypal account and I withdraw it as soon as it appears.

I always go to the post office to send directly the parcel with a tracking number done by a human :)

my 2 cents

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did I miss it? How do you know they received the parts then made a false claim. Maybe they did not receive the parts as they claim.

just wondering

Ken
That's the point Ken.... no one knows. Not even PayPal. He just says he didn't get them and they refund based on that they too can't track the package. At least that's what I take away from the explanation given for the refund. I'm certain he either got the parts or will get them any day. The last tracking info was 10-2 left the Miami hub. I think what is learned here is there is NO SECURE "First Class International" service. Also it helps to know your customer. I believe there is fraud just based on the email trail he left for me.
RML

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
That's the point Ken.... no one knows. Not even PayPal. He just says he didn't get them and they refund based on that they too can't track the package. At least that's what I take away from the explanation given for the refund. I'm certain he either got the parts or will get them any day. The last tracking info was 10-2 left the Miami hub. I think what is learned here is there is NO SECURE "First Class International" service. Also it helps to know your customer. I believe there is fraud just based on the email trail he left for me.
RML
Well I just sent something to Italy from Toronto Via our International Parcel -Surface (by Boat I assume) which is what buyer wanted to pay for and the time frame is 1-2 months. The tracking will say IN TRANSIT until such time and if the Italian Post office which is a private enterprise acknowledges it. When you google this problem there seems to be lots of problems. I wonder if UPS, Fed Ex, DHL do better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Funny this. Experienced sellers know you need to pay for signature on delivery, and charge the customer for this. If it's not available. Don't ship this way. The end.

Classic Alfa. Centerline...... anyone with experience is doing it. You should too.

ebay and paypal won't help the seller...ever. That much you can count on. Take electronics for instance. Normal policy is no returns. Buy on ebay, and get your money back after shorting it out. Great for that!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts