Alfa Romeo Forums banner

161 - 180 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I moved to Boston from Los Angeles this month. Brought my 1971 Spider 1750 with me - which now resides in Randolph, MA because garage space does not come easy in Boston. The car has spent almost its entire life in California:
3 years in Napa, long before my time. 34 years in Merced, in the Central Valley, 24 years of which it did not leave the garage (that is also minus thee years in a shed in Great Falls, MT, from which it apparently recovered), and finally less than a year in Los Angeles, less than a month of which it was operational.
Now it is here with me and I am very worried about what the weather is going to do to it after reading all the warnings from people on these forums.
Anyway, glad to be here and hopefully I will come across some of you in person over time.
Ryan

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welome to the neighborhood Ryan!

I think you'll find that New England weather will be quite gentle on your Spider as long as you put it away before November and resist the temptation to take it back out on the public roads before the end of April. I've done this with my hobby cars for 30 years and they always last as long as I care to keep them. You do have a winter-bomber right?

Best Regards,

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
AKA Winter Beater, Beater car. Something to drive in winter.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Just as long as you wait to drive it in the Spring until we've had a couple rains to clear all the salt off the roads, and you don't park it for long on the grass, you should be OK!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport
1,544 Posts
But you should start it up once a month, and get it to operating temperature. Move it a couple of feet in either direction to keep the tires from flat-spotting.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
That there, is excellent advice, Nick. Periodic awakenings are very important to the health of a sleeping Alfa...

Getting some oil around to keep gaskets from drying out and metal sticking to metal,,

getting the charge on the system up and level,,

making the water flow rather than stagnate and corrode,,,

Yep, good idea...

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Oh yeah, the dread "Flat spotting",, the death of many a potentially streetable tire. Yes, roll them, park on a different part of the tire, or, be hard core and set it on jackstands for its winter nap.
Not such a bad idea, makes it easy to roll underneath and have a look now and then, making a plan,,,,

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Thanks for the advice everyone.
I am new to this Alfa ownership, so I have a lot to learn, but I've enjoyed myself.
Question: so as long as I start the engine every couple weeks and make sure I don't let the tires sit, is that all I really have to do? Leaving all the fluids the same should be fine?

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport
1,544 Posts
Hey Thanks for the advice everyone.
I am new to this Alfa ownership, so I have a lot to learn, but I've enjoyed myself.
Question: so as long as I start the engine every couple weeks and make sure I don't let the tires sit, is that all I really have to do? Leaving all the fluids the same should be fine?

Some will squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders via the spark plug holes--I've never done it, or felt it necessary.

I have, and still use fuel stablizer. You can get that at any parts or hardware store.

Moth balls in the trunk/interior/engine compartment if you are afraid of small rodentia making a home in the car.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
if you are afraid of small rodentia making a home in the car
'Tis better to fear 'em than find 'em!

Mothballs are always a good practice during a lay-up. Disconnect your battery leads and keep a trickle charge on it. Car cover on your toy saves cat-scratches and dusting off when Spring finally arrives!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I have, and still use fuel stablizer. You can get that at any parts or hardware store.
I don't know if it's overkill, but I use both Stabil and dry gas. Also, change your oil just before putting the car away; supposedly it gets some of the corrosive crap out of the engine so it's not overwintering with it, and you're ready to go come spring.

I also leave the hood open; it may or may not be an old wive's tale, but I was told that mice and other rodentia are less likely to nest there if the hood is up.

My dad gave me a trickle charger last year for my birthday, and it did a great job last winter.

I generally keep driving it, top down, until it gets below 45 degrees. All bundled, up, heater on, but top down. Lower than that, I start worrying that the rear window is getting brittle from the cold, so I don't want to bend it. But driving on a crisp moonlit autumn night with the dry leaves blowing around is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
thanks for the tips everyone.
I don't have a power source where I park it, so I don't think a trickle charger will be possible.
Another question: does anybody regularly do undercarriage washes? Is that something I should start thinking about doing? Any tips?

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
driving on a crisp moonlit autumn night with the dry leaves blowing around is a wonderful, wonderful thing.
I agree, the sight of the twin vortexes of leaves trailing behind the GTV in the autumn is fantastic!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've been an AONE member since last year, traded some info with very convivial members, but MA, where most events are run, is a long way to drive from Montreal (was planning on attending Il giro de Mondanock, but unfortunately, not being run this year).

Any VT members interested in setting up an event?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
thanks for the tips everyone.
I don't have a power source where I park it, so I don't think a trickle charger will be possible.
Another question: does anybody regularly do undercarriage washes? Is that something I should start thinking about doing? Any tips?
Take the battery out and put it on the charger. That is what I do since there is no power where I store it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My car never made it out this year. I need to do some updating on the suspension and other systems.

161 - 180 of 236 Posts